cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Travel Trailers one large one very small?

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have the 31 ft. TT in sig. We have gone from Pop-up when we had young kids to a 24 ft and now the Open Range for just the two of us (and two large dogs). We love the TT and it has proven the perfect set-up for us. Our typical trips have been destination type travel with week or longer stays at one site. We would like to travel out west or north-east but hesitate to take the large TT because of site size limitations (we like national park and forest campsites). Also, ease of setup is another consideration. We have been considering a small TT like a Casita or even the new Airstream Basecamp as a 2nd TT to use for our longer trips with shorter stays at each location. Wondering if anyone else has done this - large TT and small TT. Don't want to give up the comfort of the Open Range for our destination visits but really can't see taking it on a 2k or 3k trip out west and parking for only one or two nights at a time.
2014 Berkshire 360QL
25 REPLIES 25

Shuttlebug
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a really small trailer - a 40"x84" wooden box on a Harbor Freight trailer frame, with a twin-sized mattress inside. We built it to tow behind our motorcycle. Last week we brought home our new Serro Scotty s198bhr, which is like a mansion by comparison.
2017 Serro Scotty s198bhr
2014 homebuilt teardrop-style trailer
2002 Mercedes ML320 and 2001 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, thanks for all the responses. It seems we're not that far out there thinking about a smaller additional camper. I don't think we'd give up the existing TT to simply go smaller. As a result of our work situations, we can work wherever we are for the most part so a large part of our destination camping is somewhere we like to be (the beach or mountains) knowing part of our days will be working and other part enjoying where we are. We learned in the smaller 24ft, both of us on phones and trying to work just didn't cut it. With the current TT, we can move to different rooms if need be so phone calls etc. do not interfere with each other. So...the whole point of a smaller TT would be strictly for camping vacation trips. I hate and almost never stay at hotels due to years of traveling for work. We do still tent camp on occasion and even backpacked a few days last month, something we hope to continue. The smaller TT or camper would simply be an option for shorter stay travel on more ambitions trips with no work involved. The Casita's are in our cash budget, the Airstream not so much (seems expensive especially for a 2nd TT).
We've looked at other options including T&G teardrops, A-liners and even the Sylvan sport. We realize our requirements are:

1. Large enough bed (I'm 6'2")
  2. Full bath
  3. Handle two large dogs (albeit snugly)
  4. Hard sided
  5. Towable by ANY of our vehicles (F150, GC, Wrangler) so 3500 lb absolute max
2014 Berkshire 360QL

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We have two campers - an Aliner Ranger 15 and a Starcraft 14RB. We keep the Starcraft four hours away in a town where our son lives, and we use it when we visit him every month. We use our Aliner to actually camp in.

We're seriously considering selling the Starcraft and getting a larger TT, because our grown children and granddaughter would love to join us when we go to the beach, which we do several times a year. We'll keep the Aliner. It's perfect for long trips - saves gas and fits anywhere.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
When buying a TT you have to decide what your priorities are. The DW and I needed,
+ A bed you could exit without crawling over you partner.
+ A bathroom you could move around in and access with the slide in.
+ A pantry and storage space for food, dishes, pots pans etc.
+ Closet space for cloth, towels and such.
+ Storage space for odds and ends.
+ Slide with enough room for two adults and a dog.
+ Short enough (25 ft.) to pull through city streets and find quilt shops.

Those were our requirements, yours my vary.

Good luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
We went to the extremes with this. We have the 38 foot 5th wheel and a two man tent. We took the Goldwing pulling a small cargo trailer to Colorado in June of 2015 with the tent and sleeping bags while the luxury camper sat in the driveway. Total cost for a 17 day trip covering 6,130 miles was around $2,700. Would have cost us around $2,200 or more just for fuel to take the big camper.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of people have questioned the decision to have both size travel trailers. If they do not appreciate the ease of towing and setting up a small trailer, they are simply not old enough. We older folks remember when campers were small and we went camping. It is fun and it does not take a 32' trailer to enjoy the experience.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Wish we had kept our Aliner just for trips when we move a lot. No place to store it but I miss the portability vs our Coachman.

any_rd_but_main
Explorer
Explorer
I agree we just did this year have 34ft 5th wheel been using it for long trips and now we have a 20ft TT and its the best thing for us now we can go most every where we couldn`t before

Zipadedodah
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered the Open Range/ Highland Ridge LT216RBS? The overall length is 26 ft. I have been in two of them and the construction, materials, and floor plan is very nice.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The wife gave me the go ahead to purchase a portable man cave so I can go out by myself and we would use our 42' fifth wheel when we go out together. After looking for the last several months I couldn't justify the cost of a second trailer. Now we are looking for 20-30 acres where we can put the fifth wheel on and I can play when I want my alone time. Also, land will be a better investment than a other trailer.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep a 35' TT on my seasonal site and have a 22' and 17' TT's for excursions.

The 35' and 17' stay at the seasonal site 900 miles from my house. I use the 22' for travels from home.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We have a TT and a tent. Love both of them but use them at different times and for different type trips.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2. A 26ft couples unit and fun off grid popup camper.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 5th wheel for long stays in one place and a truck camper for long trips with short overnite stays. A Northstar Liberty might fit a SB 150HD, they are kinda light for a hardside tc. The rig will fit in a single parking space saving you CG fees. Many businesses will allow you to park a TC or class B overnite if you ask. We put 80k on a TC.

🙂 we also put 125k on a two wheel full dress 74' R90 BMW with our backpacking equipment. Why not do that , go back to a good tent . It will be made better than any RV you could buy :B