cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Touring North America European style

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
Now here's a home built truck camper from Europe that is presently touring Canada, with the USA and South America in their sights. A pretty robust outfit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/german-campers-kick-off-3-year-journey-in-atlantic-canada-1.3103442
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr
20 REPLIES 20

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Where they are eventually heading, I hope it is bullet proof too! There are some dangerous cities here in the US!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd take it. I can think of a whole bunch or places in the SW and the mountains in winter where that would be a great rig to have, not to mention Alaska and northern Canada
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
arto_wa wrote:
805gregg wrote:
I'd rather be in my camper, those are so overkill and unneeded

Pretty negative comment eh :R
Envy perhaps?

Gregg...let's see a pic of you and your rig!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
It's a big unit. It could use a few more and larger windows to enjoy the view with in my opinion. We were on a road today making our way home that had switchbacks it would have never been able to negotiate. All that matters is it works for them.

Europeans may have small cars but they have some enormous trucks, a real contradiction

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's a big unit. It could use a few more and larger windows to enjoy the view with in my opinion. We were on a road today making our way home that had switchbacks it would have never been able to negotiate. All that matters is it works for them.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Shoot I don't have to guess. They gotta be smarter than me at making money! :B

I imagine if one considers that they don't know what's over the next hill, where the next services area, fuel, etc, then their rig is ready to take them that long haul to wherever the next fuel or services may be located, no matter the distance.

And I do suppose if one is covering all of North and South America, then eventually you will need that endurance somewhere along the way.

I actually envy such an adventure. I'd really love to do the Prudhoe Bay to Argentina road trip.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
More power to them. I have read a few articles about European's shipping their rigs over for a tour.

But I always wonder how in the blessed h#ll they can afford it.

But more power to them b/c they are obviously smarter than I am about making money.

EDIT: maybe it was explained in the article but I didn't read all of it...

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this a big unit? YUP. Is this overkill for most North American camping? YUP. But really who cares - we have no idea where they are coming from, maybe he is a mechanic and can fix this with his eyes closed, or really what their ultimate plans are, maybe they are looking at Africa and whatever they drive and live in it does not effect us so again who cares.

They are doing something that many on this site will never do and that is coming to a new continent and travelling. They are not going down the road 100 miles and knowing what is there, they are going places that most of us will not.

Hope they have a GREAT trip and maybe I will have a chance to say hi when they get out this way!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Perspective is everything. Ask yourself this question: if you were to take a 3 year trip into North America, every night in your World class camping rig, and be able to travel the little know byways, would you rather have the one above or your own 'weekender'? There is an old adage, maybe from BKA that the longer the trip the more space you need to survive and the space you do have seems to incrementally diminish over time. My view is they are ready for whatever comes at them and I can appreciate their perspective. Of course my view is tainted by thousands of miles of dirt roads or worse in 4 wheel drive and an appreciation of the really remote.
Another thing; in my travels I have met many Europeans on the road in some exotic 4WD campmobile. It is uncanny how they can find out about rugged places that are completely unknown to most Norte Americano TC-ers. I asked a few of them how did you find out about this out-of-the way place and they all had the same answer: The internet.
jefe

Basically it is really a vehicle built for going off road for a considerable time i e Years

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Perspective is everything. Ask yourself this question: if you were to take a 3 year trip into North America, every night in your World class camping rig, and be able to travel the little know byways, would you rather have the one above or your own 'weekender'? There is an old adage, maybe from BKA that the longer the trip the more space you need to survive and the space you do have seems to incrementally diminish over time. My view is they are ready for whatever comes at them and I can appreciate their perspective. Of course my view is tainted by thousands of miles of dirt roads or worse in 4 wheel drive and an appreciation of the really remote.
Another thing; in my travels I have met many Europeans on the road in some exotic 4WD campmobile. It is uncanny how they can find out about rugged places that are completely unknown to most Norte Americano TC-ers. I asked a few of them how did you find out about this out-of-the way place and they all had the same answer: The internet.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want it for around the USA, but since they are headed to South America also, they will benefit from such a rugged vehicle.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
To each their own. They seem to enjoy their unit as it works for them. It would not work for me as it is too wide and tall for heavy timber and the two track trails I frequent. OTOH they would probably not consider a camper like mine.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Hope they enjoy the journey.

For all the negative comments, maybe they are hoping for some areas that
are not pavement. They should be able to fond that in Canada, Alaska and the
SW area of the USA.

I will never understand the need to make a negative comment for the sake of being negative.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful pictures that this couple have posted on their website in German and English to let people know just where these photos were taken. I agree that it is definitely an overkill and not needed in what they are doing, but what the heck, if that's what they like then let them do it.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver