cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow 23Rs With F150 Supercew

eruca_clb
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am new to RV. Recently I am getting very interested in the keystone 23RS. I have a 2014 F150 4x4 Supercrew 145" wheelbase 5.0L V8 engine short box. I have search internet and the lowest number I found for towing capacity is 7700 lb. Since the 23RS dry weight is 5060 lbs, it seems my F150 can handle it. I also plan to get a sway control hitch like the equalizer. So my question is if my F150 good enough to handle the 23RS or do I have to choose something smaller like 18RS?
10 REPLIES 10

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truthfully. You don't need any where near 20% tongue weight. 11 to 14 will be plenty.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a nice online calculator that can help

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Get your truck weighed with a full tank of gas and all tools that you keep in the truck. Subtract that from GVWR and that is how much you have left for passengers, gear, and tongue weight.

Where you messed up on TW is you were dividing rather than multiplying. Multiple loaded TT weight times .15. You might get by with 13% but 15% gives you a fudge factor on side of safety. Take into account 100lbs for WDH.

As an F-150 owner, I can tell you that pax, gear, and TW is going to take you to your GVWR. That means you're going to have max 6150 for loaded TT weight with no margin for safety.

Also, you can check the axle ratio code on the sticker on the door and a quick Google will give you the ratio and tow rating. I think new trucks have it in the manual or glove box. I don't for my 2007.

Hope this helps.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look for the cargo capacity number of your truck. Should be on the door. Take Cargo capacity, subtract 600lb for the four adults. Remainder is available cargo capacity for tongue weight, weight of hitch itself, and anything you toss in the back.

GCWR is the max combined weight of your truck, and the trailer. Assuming your GVWR value of 7350 is the truck, that means your MAX trailer weight, loaded should only be 6150. Personally, I would not want to go to MAX, but would prefer to be somewhere in the 80% of max range.

So, lets assume you have 1500 lbs of cargo, based on the sticker. Subtract 600 bls for adults, leaves 900lbs. WD hitch weight figure 100lbs. That leaves 800 lbs of Cargo capacity left. A 6000 trailer, assuming 12% tongue weight (20% is too much), would be 720. Leaves you only a margin of 80 lbs of cargo capacity left.

Typically, you will exceed your cargo capacity WAY before you get to the gross combined weight rating (GCWR). Cargo capacity, then GAWR (axle weight rating), then if both those are good, you will still be below the GCWR in all likelihood.

Hope that helps... again, start with cargo capacity, as that is the one most likely to reach first.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

eruca_clb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all you guys for the quick reply. I will try to run some number here. Can you guys help me to check if I got them right?
GCWR 13500LB GVWR 7350LB Axle ratio 3.55
Four adults 600 lb, let's say I will put everything else in the trailer.
Payload would be 13500-7350-600=5550
I will divide this number by 2 to make sure it will be safe for the rear axle, I will get 2775
Let's say torque weight is 20% of the trailer weight, so I use 2775 to be divided by 20% and I will get 13875.
Then this number is way too big. Did I do anything wrong?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You should be fine but I prefer to go by trailer GVWR... keep it in the tow rating.

I think your GVWR is 7000 so good to go.

http://www.keystonerv.com/previous-years?brand=Outback&year=2008

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
If you have looked at a 23RS at a dealer, look at the weight label on it. If you can't go, ask dealer to make picture of weight label on outside and yellow label inside. You may be surprised to discover that the TT weighs much more than the published weight on a website.

I tow a 28ft JayFlight that has a true empty weight (with full propane) of 5202 lbs with my 2010 F150 supercab 5.4 V8 without any issues. I do use a standard weight distribution hitch, and add a little extra air to rear tires of truck (otherwise they feel a little soft)
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
eruca_clb wrote:
Hi, I am new to RV. Recently I am getting very interested in the keystone 23RS. I have a 2014 F150 4x4 Supercrew 145" wheelbase 5.0L V8 engine short box. I have search internet and the lowest number I found for towing capacity is 7700 lb. Since the 23RS dry weight is 5060 lbs, it seems my F150 can handle it. I also plan to get a sway control hitch like the equalizer. So my question is if my F150 good enough to handle the 23RS or do I have to choose something smaller like 18RS?

Got an owner's maunal? It's in there. Tells all you need to know, all you need to know is your axle ratio
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
..good advice above.
Also keep in mind that the keystone 23RS will weigh lots more 5060 lbs. That is the "dry" weight without anything loaded into it. (food, gear, clothing, kitchen stuff, etc.) and also probably without batteries, propane and other dealer added stuff.

Like mbopp posted above..look at the Payload of your truck and the GVWR to the trailer and start there.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
Towing capacity is only a small part of the equation.
Do you have the Max tow package, or standard tow setup?
More important is the payload capacity. How many people are you going to haul in the Supercrew? How much "stuff" in the bed? Now add in the tongue weight of the trailer and the weight of the hitch. 1/2-ton crew cabs can get overloaded fairly quickly.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......