cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running a dehumidifier after camping

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've taken to running a dehumidifier after taking a camping trip (camper is plugged into 110 from the garage). Take Labor Day. It was cool and damp most of the weekend and only turned sunny on Monday (figures). We spent a lot of time in the camper because of the weather. On coming home I put in the dehumidifier (50 pint model), set it to 35%, close the drains and vents, open all drawers and cupboards, and run it.

I am constantly amazed at the amount of water it pulls out. Usually I can get a lot of water out in the first few days and then not much thereafter. For example this time the tank, two gallons, was full and the dehumidifier off when I checked on it three nights later.

I'm not sure where all the water is coming from since this may be a large truck camper but it is still pretty small in the scheme of things. I do suspect the mattress and bedding contribute a fair amount of water. I know it's not coming from outside or the storage tanks because after the initial burst the water collection drops off dramatically. Usually after the drop off in collection I turn off the dehumidifier and open up the vents and leave the camper stored that way.

I'm not sure how much good I'm doing but since water is "the enemy" I figure it can't hurt. I'm curious if others do anything similar or have any thoughts.
14 REPLIES 14

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Run it 24/7 when wt home. I run one all winter with a drain hose outside. Amazing how much water drains out.

x2. In our coastal Georgia humid climate, I have a dehumidifier sitting in the kitchen sink with the hose centered in the drain. The grey tank valve is left open so it can drip into the gravel below.

If you go out to buy a dehumidifier, most of them today have electronic controls. Not all of them have the auto restart feature if the power fails. It's a desirable feature.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we use a domed container with crystals like damprid in our camper and boat year round. Dampness gets in year round but its real bad in the summer. Our camper is in storage without power. The crystals last a good long time in the winter but are gone in no time in the summer. The collection of water actually firms up like ice then thaws when I dump it. Quite amazing. This process keeps us high and dry. Bill ๐Ÿ™‚

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Christl wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
Anyone use these? Seems like a good choice when using the camper...

You have my attention and want to hear more on there use after a camp outing or between camp outings and also during some particular wet weather periods during camping. Do you put them in a plastic bag to preserve them for later use? Cheers Christl

I haven't used them but ordered one to try out.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:

You have my attention and want to hear more on there use after a camp outing or between camp outings and also during some particular wet weather periods during camping. Do you put them in a plastic bag to preserve them for later use? Cheers Christl

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Christl wrote:
. Has anyone run a dehumidifier in areas of the country while there is freezing temperatures? I am assuming these TC's are stored in heated garages? Setting the percent humidity to 35% seems to be on the low side? Is that necessary? Cheers christl

Humidifiers are useless in freezing temperatures or under 65 degrees for most normal dehumidifiers, if you want to go colder you need a Low temp de-humidifier and then expect to pay mucho $$$$$. Cold weather normally has low humidity anyway.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Eva Dry Petite dehumidifier - 16oz. reservoir.

I have a big house sized one for before/after camping, but I want to experiment with the small one this fall/winter.

We are planning on numerous fall trips and winter snowboard weekends. I plan on putting the Eva Dry in the shower with all the wet clothes and see if it makes a difference in drying time overnight. Running the Fantastic fan in the shower is great for drying during summer but much too cold in late fall/winter when boondocking.

I know if we have shore power that it will keep the condensation down overnight in the TC (2 adults, 1 kid, 1 dog).

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'm taking notes. I don't even want to think of how much water ours has sucked up in 6400 miles of rain.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 gallons in 3 days at 35% setting is not really a lot of water. You can get that much in 1 day at 50% in Tennessee in the summer.

50% is recommended as the optimum for not supporting mold but also being comfortable.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Christl wrote:
I had never thought of plugging in a dehumidifier as a precaution. Has anyone run a dehumidifier in areas of the country while there is freezing temperatures? I am assuming these TC's are stored in heated garages? Setting the percent humidity to 35% seems to be on the low side? Is that necessary? Cheers christl

In winter we get below freezing at times. Coming back from a trip I put a 750 watt oil heater in the camper along with the dehumidifier (which adds heat itself). The camper is outside but the inside stays warm enough for the dehumidifier to work (it also has an "anti-freeze" system.)

I put it to 35% because I am trying to drive out all the excess water out of the interior. Note that this is for after camping, not while we are using it. After a couple of days when I stop getting much additional water I shut it down.

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
I had never thought of plugging in a dehumidifier as a precaution. Has anyone run a dehumidifier in areas of the country while there is freezing temperatures? I am assuming these TC's are stored in heated garages? Setting the percent humidity to 35% seems to be on the low side? Is that necessary? Cheers christl

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
After many years I am still floored at how much water is collected. We put ours in the shower and use it while camping. Turns the bathroom into a giant cloth's dryer dryintg towels, swim suits. I have been preaching the benefits of this for years. A built in unit should be offered as an option on new units.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Close the drains to sinks and tub and run 24/7. It will slow down and increase based on weather.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run it 24/7 when wt home. I run one all winter with a drain hose outside. Amazing how much water drains out.