cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle Question

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2014 Forest River Salem 27Rkss last week and now my husband thinks we need a new tow vehicle. We are looking at a Ford F250 7.3L power stroke diesel. What is an estimate of how many miles on the motor are too many? And any other opinions that you want to share. Thank you for your time and advice.
9 REPLIES 9

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can find many used diesel trucks for a few thousand unless they are on the way to the salvage yard. The 7.3 made by International is a pretty sought after diesel among those offered in Ford's despite it's age. If you get into the newer diesels, you get into complicated emissions systems that cost more to fix and maintain (cost of urea aka DEF). I'd buy a maintained "high" milage used truck over a lower milage truck that didn't look like it was maintained.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't pay much for any vehicle with over 100,000 miles on it. The engine "may" be OK, Maybe not. But for sure the trany, windows, seats, hubs, brakes, suspension, wiper motors, and body have had a workout.

So IF you can get it cheap, and I mean really cheap, Say, A couple thousand. You might be OK, IF they want more than 10K. Let it sit.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
The 7.3 was a great engine. There were a few years with issues. Make sure that the truck you're looking for isn't one of them.

DieselPower Magazine Used Diesel Buyer's Guide.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information. We are still looking.

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles the truck has is not as important as how it got them. Check the history of the truck.

Also if it's a truck from the coast, have a real good look for rust and have someone check it over for general condition. Consider any repairs on a miles per dollar level. Last year I put $2500 into the tranny on my 08 2500HD - Way cheaper than a new truck.

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
The 7.3L was a workhorse. Like everyone else said, the engine will be the least of your worries.

Diesels get a reputation for lasting 200k+ miles. There is some truth to that. Remember though the rest of the truck has also covered 200k+ miles. Rust, worn out axles, suspension, interior... The list goes on and on.

If the truck was driven in the South without the road salt we have here, and was well maintained, then 150K miles isn't too bad. We have 2 different Ford one ton Diesels at work with over 170k miles. They run very strong, but the rest of the vehicle starts to nickel and dime you after a while. They are not 7.3L's though, they are 6.0L's

Id look for a truck with less than 120k miles if you're looking at higher mileage trucks. I personally would probably never buy anything over 40k miles, but I drive too much a year.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of 7.3L diesels running strong with 300k-400k or more.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Widely considered to be Ford's best diesel, and, not knowing specific weights of your tt, should have no problems handling it. All that said, 2oldman is correct. The engine may be the least of your worries. Definitely worth checking out.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
That must be a 2003 or earlier truck. Even at 150,000 miles, the engine may be fine, but it's the other stuff you may have to worry about. Like transmission, front end, differential, oil leaks. That stuff can get expensive.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman