Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing 35' TT with Nissan Armada *pics*

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy Gents,

I recently purchased a new 2014 Heartland Trail Runner with the intention of using my current TV, which is a 2011 Nissan Armada with the factory "Big Tow Package" (tranny cooler, bigger brakes, auto leveler), but quickly learned there is much more to towing than the brochure's "tow capacity".

I took it over to the local public scales yesterday, and while it towed decently with the WD hitch (also getting a ProPride 3P hitch, which will improve the ride as well), and I'm still in the green in all categories (some just barely), it's a little too close for my comfort ultimately, especially with the family on board.

Here are the numbers:

The rig:

2014 Heartland Trail Runner 35' TT + ProPride 3P
2012 F350 SRW Power Stroke Diesel FX4 Long Bed
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.
26 REPLIES 26

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rangerbait wrote:
It does mean that my 13 year old will have to sit between us, but we've been looking for an excuse to spend more time with her anyway 🙂 In the Armada, she was all the way back in the 3rd row, and in her own little world...time to kick it old school with less personal space, and *gasp* actual human conversation!

You are a braver man than I for sure....when our girls hit that magical age I was looking for a truck with 4 rows of seats so they could move further back....LOL

Seriously, 3 in the front can get a little tight on long road trips, even the adults get tired of human conversation when you're on the road 6+ hours. Depends on how/where you are going to camp/travel.

No question a 350 diesel/dually will get the job done, there are a lot of 250/2500 trucks that will pull that trailer too so you have a lot of options here. Especially with the P3 hitch, a 2500 Suburban or Excursion will also work if you want to keep that 3rd row...

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the F350! Now you'll feel comfortable towing your trailer.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very smart move to up size the tow vehicle. You did not have enough truck to start with.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the right vehicle for your trailer.

Mtwoodson
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2013 F3560 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 and couldn't be more pleased with it. Your's will be more than enough truck for your rig and damned comfortable too.
And I probably wouldn't recommend extended trips with five passengers either, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the truck. Enjoy
Mtwoodson
Save the whales..., collect the whole set

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good decision to buy a different truck! Now....get it ready to go and enjoy!

Happy travels!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
rangerbait wrote:
rangerbait wrote:
it's a little too close for my comfort ultimately, especially with the family on board.

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I really did just post this up to help others who might be as a similar decision point. I took the rig on the highway yesterday to weigh it (about 10 miles each way); the Armada handled it, but it certainly wasn't happy about it. The tongue weight was calculated by putting the truck on the scale while the trailer was hitched (w/WD hitch on, and trailer axles not on the scale), then the truck was weighed again without the trailer, but the hitch ball (stinger?) still in the receiver. I subtracted the unloaded number from the loaded number to determine how much weight was on the tongue.

Yes, all of the numbers were with the trailer completely dry and empty.

Long story short (too late already?), I'm trading the Armada in for a diesel F350 crew cab. My wife has a nice Honda minivan for her daily driver, and the crew cab will have enough passenger space to accommodate our 4 kids on road trips. It does mean that my 13 year old will have to sit between us, but we've been looking for an excuse to spend more time with her anyway 🙂 In the Armada, she was all the way back in the 3rd row, and in her own little world...time to kick it old school with less personal space, and *gasp* actual human conversation!

Smart decision on the truck upgrade! You will have PLENTY of truck for that trailer and your ride will be much more relaxing.

Don't forget to post pics of your truck when you get it!
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
e-light wrote:
That said...you will see much worse when touring campgrounds. I see loads of 1/2 ton trucks pulling 5th wheels...the worse I saw was a new Ford Explorer pulling a 34' Jayco travel trailer (newer fiberglass model). And that was through the Smokey Mountains...can't imagine that!

That's an excellent point...even if I was well within all of the safety margins with the Armada, the constant feedback on my setup would be insufferable.
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow a similar trailer with a Toyota Tundra. It did the job, but it was not ideal. I was right at the limits of tow rating and over on payload. I installed airbags and suspension upgrades on the truck. It was a little better but I could still feel the trailer affecting the truck too much. I didn't feel safe on the long trips I take with my family along. I upgraded to a Ram 2500 6.4L and it was night and day compared to the Tundra! Much, much more stable ride in the Ram 2500.

I agree with Major Gator, that trailer is ideally 3/4 ton territory. There are some F150 HD trucks that would probably handle it very good as well. That said...you will see much worse when touring campgrounds. I see loads of 1/2 ton trucks pulling 5th wheels...the worse I saw was a new Ford Explorer pulling a 34' Jayco travel trailer (newer fiberglass model). And that was through the Smokey Mountains...can't imagine that!
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I strongly discourage 6 people in a crew cab pickup for more than a short trip. Then again, if its a short trip, then take two vehicles. That said, I'd tow it with my 3/4 ton Burb. Love that floorplan.

Hahahaha...guess I'll just take up cross stitch and stay home then.

This is America, Jack.
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I strongly discourage 6 people in a crew cab pickup for more than a short trip. Then again, if its a short trip, then take two vehicles. That said, I'd tow it with my 3/4 ton Burb. Love that floorplan.

Well dang, the OP just can't win around here.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
rangerbait wrote:
it's a little too close for my comfort ultimately, especially with the family on board.

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I really did just post this up to help others who might be as a similar decision point. I took the rig on the highway yesterday to weigh it (about 10 miles each way); the Armada handled it, but it certainly wasn't happy about it. The tongue weight was calculated by putting the truck on the scale while the trailer was hitched (w/WD hitch on, and trailer axles not on the scale), then the truck was weighed again without the trailer, but the hitch ball (stinger?) still in the receiver. I subtracted the unloaded number from the loaded number to determine how much weight was on the tongue.

Yes, all of the numbers were with the trailer completely dry and empty.

Long story short (too late already?), I'm trading the Armada in for a diesel F350 crew cab. My wife has a nice Honda minivan for her daily driver, and the crew cab will have enough passenger space to accommodate our 4 kids on road trips. It does mean that my 13 year old will have to sit between us, but we've been looking for an excuse to spend more time with her anyway 🙂 In the Armada, she was all the way back in the 3rd row, and in her own little world...time to kick it old school with less personal space, and *gasp* actual human conversation!
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger, the P3 hitch will definitely help control the trailer, but it's never good to be on the edge of any ratings. Reminds me of when we got our first hard sided trailer, a 26' Mallard with GVWR 6200 lbs. On paper, the Expedition could pull it, even though we were close to our ratings....on the road was a different story. The soft suspension on the Expy just made it a chore to pull that TT...it was not a relaxing ride. Traded that in after a year and got the burb. Now with the Arrow hitch also, towing is as relaxing as it gets.

That's an awfully long trailer for the Armada so be careful out on there...but it's ultimately up to you whether you need more truck.