cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a horse trailer with TC

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Who on this forum has towed a two-axle horse trailer with the TC on the truck?

Did you use any kind of hitch extension to do it?

thanks
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
22 REPLIES 22

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
In many years of hauling a large trailer behind an 11.5 foot camper with a stretched trailer tongue instead of a hitch extension, Iโ€™ve never had any issue with the trailer hitting the camper. I donโ€™t have any heavy junk to attach and remove whenever I load my camper, either.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
Did you use any kind of hitch extension to do it?

If the camper extends past the rear of the truck, then yes, you will need a hitch extension, otherwise you run the risk of the trialer contacting the truck when turning.
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed a lot of trailer equal in weight or heavier than a two horse trailer while camper is on truck.
Bob

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to haul a single axle two horse trailer loaded to the hilt with hay on top for two weeks way back in hunting, with an 8ft overhead TC with a standard hitch on a beefed up GMC half ton pickup..this was on one of Idaho's roughest washboard roads,the middle fork of the Boise river to Atlanta Idaho..

If possible,I choose not to use an extension , which means a smaller TC..I do use an 18" solid bar extension with my currant 9.6 for TC but I just haul a 17ft trailer with a Yamaha rhino on it and gear...

Anything larger than say 18" for an extension really gets spendy and puts your actual trailer hitch in question..the whole setup is for rich folk..(Laffin)
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
For a horse trailer, because of the weight, I am thinking you are going to want a Torklift Super Hitch and Super Hitch extension.
I don't haul that heavy with my Northern Lite as I just haul an ATV trailer. I do know somebody who also has a Northern Lite and she hauls her two mules all over the place and she has a Super Hitch and Super Hitch extension on her Ford Super Duty dually.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the camper hangs off the back, you will need to extend the truck hitch, unless you modify the trailer with a longer hitch. E-trailer sells truck extensions. You want to make sure the trailer never comes in contact with the camper.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)