cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Jayco 1206?

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine has a 2012 Jeep Liberty with a 5,000 LB Tow Capacity, and is considering a Jayco 1206. He doesn't have the factory tow package, but has installed a Class 3 Hitch.

The Jayco 1206 has a GVWR of 3,450, and is 18'-8" in length.

I know he will need some type of sway control device, but I'm not sure if he would need a WDH?

Do any of you guys tow something similar?

Do you see any major issues with this set up?

How do you like the Jayco 1206 overall?

All insight will be appreciated. Thank you
Best Regards,....marc & joan
3 REPLIES 3

Cape_Cod_Mounta
Explorer
Explorer
The Liberty will need all the help it can get. The 1206 is not only heavy for a PU but is tongue heavy. Load weight behind the trailer wheels and leave the lightest stuff for the front storage bin. Pulling with a Highlander w tow package and WDH and anti-sway bar was still a struggle although the system did level out nicely.
The 1206 is a solid rig. Only problem we had was the result of over-cranking lift mechanism while taking DOWN. The cable got tangled. Beds are pretty good and there is lots of room - especially if you have a screen house. Enjoy!
Destinations on purpose: Canada: Alberta, BC, Nove Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick. USA: ME,NH,MA,VT,NY,MT,WY,MN,MI,WI,GA,VA,FL,UT,CA,OR,ID,CO,NV,AZ
:BLife is Good
2009 Jayco 1206
2011 Toyota Tundra

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
At the least he'll need an auxilliary trans cooler. A WDH would be recommended and the sway control depends on how well it tows. Pop ups, by nature, tend to sway a bit due to the centralized placement of the axle. Careful packing to keep the tongue weight correct can help.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

merczephyr
Explorer
Explorer
The 2012 owners manual states trailers over 3500 lbs require a weight distribution hitch. Does your vehicle have the tow package? The owners manual doesn't state what all comes in the package, but you'll need a transmission cooler if not equipped. The towing portion of the owners manual starts at page 409.