cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing after Timbren Install

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
I recently upgraded my TT from an 18' to a 26'. I was having some control issues towing even after adjusting my weight distribution hitch. I then installed a set of Timbren SES. I am still having issues and I am wondering if my hitch ball needs to be lowered now after installing the Timbrens. I had our friends take a video of us from behind towing. The video showed that I am not swaying nearly as much as I feel like I am. Here is the best picture I can get of my rig on a flat surface. I look forward to any constructive input.

Travel Trailer and Truck Image
Jay Bosworth

2016 2500 GMC Sierra LT 6.0L

2016 Fun Finder by Cruiser 265RBSS
11 REPLIES 11

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
Just a follow up... I lowered my ball a notch and noticed a vast improvement in towing. Bow wave impact is greatly reduced from vehicles overtaking me in the passing lane and I no longer feel like even slight winds are blowing me off the road. On the return trip from our weekend camping trip I felt like I was pulling my 18 footer again!

Thanks again.
Jay Bosworth

Gryphonguy
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like your trailer is nose high. It should be level. Your dealer may be able to provide you with the correct ball height. Also be mindful when packing. Heavy items should be between the trailer wheels and hitch.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A
2005 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will check that site out.
Jay Bosworth

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
Go to most truck stops and there will be CAT scales. Costs very little (about $15).

CLICK HERE AND ENTER ZIP CODE FOR CLOSEST SCALE.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Any truck stop should have a public scale. When trying to solve handling problems when you're close to your vehicle's tow capacity, you really need to know your weights.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

bosworthj
Explorer
Explorer
Okay thanks I already have load range e tires. I will try moving the ball down a notch. I don't know anyone with a scale so that isn't an option.
Jay Bosworth

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Your biggest issue is quite possibly the OEM receiver on your truck. Get under the bumper and you'll see in your era of truck GM relies heavily on the bumper mounting brackets for the weight carrying and weight distribution loads. That receiver design was used from '99 until I believe '08 or '09 when it was re-vamped a little.

What you need is a solid, frame mounted receiver like this Class V Curt Receiver that takes the bumper out of the food chain. My old 2004 Chevy 2500HD had issues with porpoising and just a slushy feel in when connected to the trailer. Once I installed a frame mounted hitch like the above link it all felt much more solid.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
When I was towing heavy with my half-ton, I also added stiffer shocks and LT-E tires, in addition to stiffening the rear springs.

And spent a lot of time at the weigh station checking my weights and getting the WDH set up right.

So yes, it would be good to know what your WDH is doing. When you set it up, did you measure the front end lift before and after? Do the WD bars reduce the front end lift by 50-100%?
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

gopherslayer
Explorer
Explorer
Tires on your truck could be causing an issue also. They could be giving you a squishy/squirrelly feeling.

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
you have a adjustable hitch, lower it a bolt hole. When you raise the front it changes the center of gravity to the rear and can lower the tongue weight and cause swaying.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
So what are your weights?

Truck Steer axle, rear axle (w/o trailer)
Truck steer axle, rear axle and trailer axles (w/o WDH)
Truck steer axle, rear axle and trailer axles (WITH WDH)

Timbrens ...like air bags just level/correct sag when hitched

But WDH set up provides correct tongue weight and control

Looking at picture...need to adjust so trailer is a bit nose down
BUT weighing is much better means of setting up WDH

That's a 26' body but a 30' trailer with a 9300# GVWR
Really need to go get weighed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31