Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing capacity vs max cargo weight rating

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!

Can someone clarify something for me? If a truck's max gooseneck trailer loaded weight is 15,100 lbs (as per manufacturer towing guide - it is a Ford) - how can the max cargo weight rating be 1792 lbs?

If I understand correctly, the max cargo weight rating is all the weight that can be put into/onto the truck (passengers, their things) PLUS the, for example, weight of the gooseneck pin of the loaded, 15,100 lbs trailer.

Ford's towing guide says: "Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is maximum allowable, assuming weight of a base vehicle with required camper option content and a 150-lb. passenger at each available seating position".

Does this mean the allowed payload is AFTER 5 passengers? if I removed 3 passengers, does that add 450 lbs to payload capacity (max allowed cargo weight as per Ford)?

In addition, what gooseneck trailer weighs 15,100 lbs (max loaded trailer weight spec as per Ford) but only 1792 on the hitch (as per max allowed cargo weight)? This would imply that only 12% of the loaded trailer weight is on the hitch. Does this sound right?
I know this is not the case for my loaded horse trailer with living quarters (but then horse trailers with living quarters tend to be front heavy).

Am I understanding this right?

Thanks!
--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2013 Palomino HS-2910 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer
192 REPLIES 192

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
ognend wrote:
philh wrote:
don't like the number on the door sticker, you just get to pick a new number? Interesting way of dealing with payload capacity.

I picked a different number on the sticker - RAWR minus actual weight of rear axle. I feel that number is the right one. What do you think?
I "think" that you do not like Fords number, so you are using one that you came up with.

Why don't you write a letter to Ford Motor Company with all of the pertintnent info (VIN#) and tell them what you posted here?
Tell them why your calculations are better than the ones their engineers came up with.

Then post their response.

Of course I don't like the number. However, I would also like to understand how they reached the exact 2184lbs payload capacity number (it is not exactly explained in the owner manual) and why they bothered to publish the 6100 RAWR number on the door sticker if the RAWR number has zero relevance. Do you have the explanation for that one? I am not saying this to argue but at the end of the day, if the payload capacity is the single number to look at, why publish the FAWR and RAWR numbers? Thanks!
--

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ognend wrote:
philh wrote:
don't like the number on the door sticker, you just get to pick a new number? Interesting way of dealing with payload capacity.

I picked a different number on the sticker - RAWR minus actual weight of rear axle. I feel that number is the right one. What do you think?
I "think" that you do not like Fords number, so you are using one that you came up with.

Why don't you write a letter to Ford Motor Company with all of the pertintnent info (VIN#) and tell them what you posted here?
Tell them why your calculations are better than the ones their engineers came up with.

Then post their response.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

--

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
ognend wrote:
snip...

I already have a set of super springs on it. I was more concerned with the actual numbers. Thanks!

Yes, that will level and not squat as much...but the 'numbers' AKA ratings has embedded things for performance of that 'number'

I installed the super springs to prevent squat, I understand they do not add payload capacity to the vehicle - I am not trying to turn a 3/4 ton truck into a 1ton truck ๐Ÿ˜‰ . I was trying to get more comfortable with the actual payload numbers. One way to look at it is simply the payload capacity as per manufacturer sticker inside driver door - this is 2184lbs on my truck. The other way (as was explained to me) is to weigh the rear axle of the truck and deduct that from RAWR rating of said axle. This gives me the 2820lbs number. I simply chose the latter as it suits me (haha)
--

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
ognend wrote:
snip...

I already have a set of super springs on it. I was more concerned with the actual numbers. Thanks!

Yes, that will level and not squat as much...but the 'numbers' AKA ratings has embedded things for performance of that 'number'

Mainly braking of the load up to that rating..."numbers"

things like larger dia disc/drum, thicker disc, thicker friction material (therefore wider calipers and most likely larger dia caliper pistons) and even an more hidden component...the front/rear brake line bias valve (if yours has one).

Here is one for my GMT400 Suburban,and assume later models with 4 wheel disc has similar hidden differences

Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban/Yukon XL are all J or B 5 though 7.

Once into HD's, changes to JB8 and JF9

Most 3/4 ton Suburban's come with JD7's, but if the snow plow option ordered, it begets JB8's and the attendant components. Like larger bore MC, larger bore wheel cylinders and different front/rear brake line bias valve body.

All to stop the rated load to min DOT requirement for that load.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. In most cases if you throw a set of bags or timbrens on a 3/4 ton you turn it into a same MY SRW 1 ton from a carrying capacity standpoint (provided the tires are also rated for the additional weight). That would effectively give you the higher applicable 1 ton RAWR to work with.

--

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. In most cases if you throw a set of bags or timbrens on a 3/4 ton you turn it into a same MY SRW 1 ton from a carrying capacity standpoint (provided the tires are also rated for the additional weight). That would effectively give you the higher applicable 1 ton RAWR to work with.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update on this thread: I finally got around to taking my truck to the scales with a full tank of diesel ('16 F-250 Crew Cab FX4 Powerstroke). Front axle: 4860, rear axle: 3280, total weight, 8140 lbs.

My RAWR is 6100lbs so I am going with payload capacity of 2820lbs, even though Ford's sticker in the door says - 2184lbs.

My total trailer loaded weight: 9270. Since it is a horse trailer with living quarters, I am going with 30% of the weight being on the hitch - which would be 2780lbs. Hence, I feel like I am not overweight. n fact, I am comfortable with replacing the stock 26gal fuel tank with a 50 gal Titan - which would add 192lbs to the equation.

What do y'all think? Thanks!
--

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RoyJ wrote:
I'm not anti-dually, just pointing out there are some high payload tires out there.

That particular tire is the "super single" option on a Sprinter. Expeditors often require to carry full size pallets, which do not fit between the dually wheel wells on a Sprinter / Transit.

I considered that for my old 2nd gen, as a dually conversion probably cost more than the truck is worth...

But it's a select example that isn't even a remote option for HD pickups. I'm with ya, though. Lots' of gotta have a dooley folks out there. Credit where it's due, duallys are MORE stable and greater carrying capacity. Just depends how over truck or not, or other considerations for the use of the vehicle enter into the equation or decision.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not anti-dually, just pointing out there are some high payload tires out there.

That particular tire is the "super single" option on a Sprinter. Expeditors often require to carry full size pallets, which do not fit between the dually wheel wells on a Sprinter / Transit.

I considered that for my old 2nd gen, as a dually conversion probably cost more than the truck is worth...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:

I canโ€™t believe the lengths people will go to to avoid driving a DRW!

How many years did you use that white 2nd Gen srw to tow the same 5ver?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"Six month of the year the DRW is our only vehicle. I do ride the HD for entertainment."

You absolutely need your DRW, and lucky your wife enjoys driving it. I would not mind driving a DRW myself, if needed. I much prefer a truck, over car or suv. I think Russ is full-time, carries a lot of extra things, so he also needs a DRW, with a long bed.

BTW: That HD is not just for entertainment! It promotes good health and relaxation, not to mention good fresh air.

So much worry over GVWR legal issues! Probably more likely to get struck by lightning while towing! I've dealt with 2 IRS audits, that many people fear. Not a fun experience, but both ended well for me!

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
There's one tire size (other than 19.5s) that can get us close to the DRW axle capacity:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=VanContact+A%2FS&partnum=865...

4300 lbs / tire, or 8600 lbs GAWR. Factor in the SRW bed is a bit lighter, and we have one less set of tires / wheels, that probably puts us within 500 lbs of a dually.

My RAWR is 9,750# but my stock 4 rear tires have a lot more capacity if I want to carry more weight. 65# in my tires is all I need out of 80 to carry the RAWR.

Wider stance gets much more stability.

X2 to the stability.
I would also add I would not want to loose a rear tire on a SRW loaded to 8,000# on the axle.
I canโ€™t believe the lengths people will go to to avoid driving a DRW! Our only vehicle is a DRW, Crew Cab, long bed, and both me and DW drive it where ever we want.

Six month of the year the DRW is our only vehicle. I do ride the HD for entertainment.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
There's one tire size (other than 19.5s) that can get us close to the DRW axle capacity:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=VanContact+A%2FS&partnum=865...

4300 lbs / tire, or 8600 lbs GAWR. Factor in the SRW bed is a bit lighter, and we have one less set of tires / wheels, that probably puts us within 500 lbs of a dually.

My RAWR is 9,750# but my stock 4 rear tires have a lot more capacity if I want to carry more weight. 65# in my tires is all I need out of 80 to carry the RAWR.

Wider stance gets much more stability.

X2 to the stability.
I would also add I would not want to loose a rear tire on a SRW loaded to 8,000# on the axle.
I canโ€™t believe the lengths people will go to to avoid driving a DRW! Our only vehicle is a DRW, Crew Cab, long bed, and both me and DW drive it where ever we want.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"