Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Double?

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

I just purchased a 13' Aluminum boat and was curious if it would be possible to tow it double behind my 2010 Starcraft 176RB? The boat, trailer, and motor probably weigh less than 500 lbs, with maybe 40-50 lbs of tongue weight.

I have a few questions related to trying to do this.

As you can see in the picture below. The bumper is not very substantial.

Is is possible to swap out to a standard 4" bumper to allow the addition of a rear hitch bracket?

Or am I out in the night with the idea of trying to tow double with this trailer?
2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 Auto
2010 Starcraft 176 RB
44 REPLIES 44

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!

Something I just thought if. Can the boat be carried on top of your tow vehicle? I know a lot of people who do that. Or might that be too hard to put up and down?
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
08trdoffroad wrote:

The only troll I see in here is you. I am still here.

And for the record I never once said, I think you guys are wrong. I explored my question for further explanation, but got attacked instead. If the manufacturer doesn't reply, or replies that I can't do what I am considering, so be it.

I am so glad you can tell what kind of person I am through a few words typed on a keyboard...

Well then I apologize. I was wrong.

That said, I wish you have typed up just a few more words to explain. Still, you say you didn't tell us we were wrong, but I have to say, you didn't say we are probably right either. In fact rather than acknowledge information you were given, all of your responses ignored what we said and pointed to anecdotal information that you are using to try and reason that its going to be OK to put the hitch on. So as the thread progressed most of us naturally felt like you weren't happy to get the answers we gave you.

I am not "an Internet tough guy". I am here to help people and get helped. But you left a very bad impression. Again, I interpreted that wrong, and I'm sorry for that. But I felt like I got slapped in the face for my post.

I thought my original post pointed out that there was a pretty decent thought in my head that it wasn't possible so it went without saying, when I could have simply said, I understand that is probably isn't possible, but would like further explanation as to why. Had I not been posting from my phone and been sitting at a computer, my posts would have been much more detailed. Obviously I was hoping it would be possible, and was very disappointed to have my suspicion that it wasn't confirmed (some in a not very nice way). So I obviously wanted to probe and question further to fully explore the idea and understand the reasoning behind why it can't or shouldn't be done before I wrote the idea off. Obviously not being able to tow both trailers with one vehicle is quite a PITA, especially when my wife and I do not own another vehicle capable of even towing the boat.

I appreciate your willingness to acknowledge and resolve the misunderstanding! And I also acknowledge I was partly to blame.
2010 Starcraft 176 RB

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
"Can't we all just get along". Rodney King
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
"...This isn't the first forum that I have joined that people berate and attack ..."
"... I am used to the internet tough guys. ..."
Troll: one who joins an online forum for the purpose of formenting argument
May God Bless You

I joined this forum to get help as I am new to the travel trailer towing world, and for the most parts in other threads I have started, I got that help.

You can think of me what you want, but that doesn't mean you HAVE to post in my threads.
2010 Starcraft 176 RB

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
08trdoffroad wrote:

And for the record I never once said, I think you guys are wrong. I explored my question for further explanation, but got attacked instead. If the manufacturer doesn't reply, or replies that I can't do what I am considering, so be it.

I am so glad you can tell what kind of person I am through a few words typed on a keyboard...

Well then I apologize. I was wrong.

That said, I wish you have typed up just a few more words to explain. Still, you say you didn't tell us we were wrong, but I have to say, you didn't say we are probably right either. In fact rather than acknowledge information you were given, all of your responses ignored what we said and pointed to anecdotal information that you are using to try and reason that its going to be OK to put the hitch on. So as the thread progressed most of us naturally felt like you weren't happy to get the answers we gave you.

I am not "an Internet tough guy". I am here to help people and get helped. But you left a very bad impression. Again, I interpreted that wrong, and I'm sorry for that. But I felt like I got slapped in the face for my post.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
"...This isn't the first forum that I have joined that people berate and attack ..."
"... I am used to the internet tough guys. ..."
Troll: one who joins an online forum for the purpose of formenting argument
May God Bless You
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
RandK-M wrote:
What the heck happened to this forum?

The guy asked a simple question about tandem towing and by the tone of many of the responses here, one would think he was asking about strapping a puppy to the bumper of his trailer and towing it all with a Volkswagen Beetle.

I agree tandem towing with a light trailer that's not designed for it is probably a bad idea, but berating him about knowledge of physics, etc is over the top and just not very nice at all. I thought most camping people were much more friendly and this.

At least the poster asked for others opinions. Many do risky things without asking first.

Ray

The guy asked a simple question and was told no, you can't just swap bumpers and pull another trailer, and it was even explained why.
His response was to argue and evidence disbelief.
So an argument he got.
Personally I think he's a troll hence my remark that he won't be back.

And for the record I never once said, I think you guys are wrong. I explored my question for further explanation to completely understand why it isn't possible, but got attacked instead. I apologize for not immediately believing everything I read on the internet to be the gospel truth and questioning/probing the idealogy behind the answer more.

If the manufacturer doesn't reply, or replies that I can't do it, I can't do it. And will either have to take one item or the other or invest in another TV.

But really, I am so glad you can tell what kind of person I am through a few words typed on a keyboard...
2010 Starcraft 176 RB

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
RandK-M wrote:

The guy asked a simple question about tandem towing and by the tone of many of the responses here, one would think he was asking about strapping a puppy to the bumper of his trailer and towing it all with a Volkswagen Beetle.

I agree tandem towing with a light trailer that's not designed for it is probably a bad idea, but berating him about knowledge of physics, etc is over the top and just not very nice at all. I thought most camping people were much more friendly and this.

At least the poster asked for others opinions. Many do risky things without asking first.

Ray

Thanks Ray. This isn't the first forum that I have joined that people berate and attack you when you have a little bit different idea than they do, or ask something that apparently should have been knowledge you are born with...but what can you do? I am used to the internet tough guys.
2010 Starcraft 176 RB

08trdoffroad
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
08trdoffroad wrote:

I have an email into the manufacturer detailing what I wish to do, we'll see what they have to say.

08trdoffroad wrote:
We shall see...

You sound sure they will give you the thumbs up and that we're giving you bogus information. That said I'm not clear on why you are asking here. Many of us have been towing trailers for many years and have a lot of experience and knowledge. We're just trying to save you a lot of headaches and possibly even a lawsuit. If you want to do it, go ahead. Why listen to reason? I personally don't really care if you destroy your trailer and your boat all at the same time.

Thanks for jumping to conclusions...

My response was not directed at the fact that statement made were wrong (or that I thought they were), rather to the statement of whether or not the manufacturer would even reply.
2010 Starcraft 176 RB

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
RandK-M wrote:

Ray

The guy asked a simple question and was told no, you can't just swap bumpers and pull another trailer, and it was even explained why.
His response was to argue and evidence disbelief.
So an argument he got.
Personally I think he's a troll hence my remark that he won't be back.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
RandK-M wrote:

It wasn't the question. It was his response. Yes, he came in to ask a simple question. We gave him some pretty sound answers. He didn't get the answer he wanted to hear, and he responded as if none of us knew what we were talking about. I have no issue with him also asking the manufacturer, in fact I give him credit for getting a verification. But I do have an issue with the constant replies of "we shall see", as if we're just stupid.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
RandK-M wrote:

Ray

agree 100 percent.

Been going this way for a year now

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
08trdoffroad wrote:
Hey all,

I just purchased a 13' Aluminum boat and was curious if it would be possible to tow it double behind my 2010 Starcraft 176RB? The boat, trailer, and motor probably weigh less than 500 lbs, with maybe 40-50 lbs of tongue weight.

Is is possible to swap out to a standard 4" bumper to allow the addition of a rear hitch bracket?

Or am I out in the night with the idea of trying to tow double with this trailer?

I have no experience in double towing but if you do a search on it you'll find that there are some out there that do it with a trailer as opposed to a 5th wheel. I found this one on the legality of the issue but if you look through it you'll find at least 1 member that does exactly what you're looking to do. Try dropping DJ a private message, you might get lucky and get the info you need. Obviously it can be done, you just need to find the right person to ask.
You will of course need to have a rear receiver welded to the hybrid, the bumpers and their mounting brackets are not up to the task.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

RandK-M
Explorer
Explorer

Ray
Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
08trdoffroad wrote:
We shall see...

I'll bet we don't
I doubt you will come back and admit you were wrong.