cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing heavy with 1500 Ram

MO_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 rear end and tow package. Looking at at 2 33' TT with 7900# unloaded weight with tongue weight of about 600#'s on one and 1000# on the other. I know I need to watch the GVW on the truck having only 1600 capacity. It will usually be just 2 of us traveling so do not expect a huge amount of extra weight in the truck.

Ram says 10k tow rating....so how will the truck handle this load??? Who else is towing similar weight with similar rig??
27 REPLIES 27

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
MO Traveler wrote:
So how much of the tongue weight is taken off the truck with a weight distributing hitch? If I have a 700# hitch weight what actually ends up on the truck when properly dialed in? Also what are opinions on the best WDH with sway control?

It varies by setup but approximately 40 percent can get transferred, 20 to the trucks front axle and 20 back to the trailer. If you need that little bit to stay within ratings though, it means you have too much trailer or too little truck.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Too much trailer for that truck. Spin it all you want but you'll be over weight somewhere. Handling will be marginal at best.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The amount of weight "taken off" by a WD hitch is variable. There are no fixed amounts or percentages you can count on. You can't use one to overload your truck by XXXlbs, thinking "Oh, the WD hitch will transfer that to the front axle and the trailer."

By the way, receivers are rated by the "dead weight" of the trailer tongue in both weight-carrying and weight-distributing mode, not the weight after the WD hitch is applied. You can't hang a 1300lb tongue on a 1000lb-rated receiver and say, "Oh, the WD hitch will transfer that to the front axle and the trailer."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
MO Traveler wrote:
So how much of the tongue weight is taken off the truck with a weight distributing hitch? If I have a 700# hitch weight what actually ends up on the truck when properly dialed in? Also what are opinions on the best WDH with sway control?

Exact amount, I don't know, but, it is not a significant amount. The primary purpose of WDH is to restore lost weight from your front axle.

When you hang the tongue weight on back of your truck, it pushes the back end down and raises the front end (removing weight). WDH distributes a small amount of weight back to the trailer axles, restores lost weight on the truck's front axle, and leaves the remaining weight on the truck's rear axle. When you consider the weight of the WDH itself, there is little, if any, reduction on the payload impact.

Other things to consider:

Don't bank on advertised weights and capacities.

You're going to run out of payload, before you get close to max tow weight.

If you're getting that 1600 lb payload from the owners manual, it may not be correct. Could be a generic number for 1500 Ram in general. Check your drivers door post for a tire / loading sticker. It will show a number for your specific truck. In the last week, there was a poster who read one number in his owners manual (Ram 1500), and another number on his door sticker.

Advertised trailer weights will go up, before you drive it off the dealer lot. They will go up when you load dishes, bedding, and camping gear, and go up more when you load water and groceries.

Holding tanks, depending on their location (in relation to the trailer axles), will raise and lower your tongue weight. Note: My fresh tank is behind the axles and my galley tank is in front of the axles. My tongue weight can fluctuate as much as 200 lbs during every trip.

Payload is used up by the weight of aftermarket accessories (bed covers, bed liners, undercoating, floor mats, luggage racks, etc), people, pets, cargo (in the truck), WDH, and trailer tongue weight.

There are several WDH's that will do the job, if the truck and trailer are well matched. Do a search on this form, you'll find several threads, discussing various brands.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

MO_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would give you a definite "maybe" if the trailer's final weight were 7900lbs, and it was only you and your wife traveling.

However, if the trailers are STARTING at 7900lbs, they will be pushing 9000lbs by the time they are loaded and ready to camp. Tongue weights will be anywhere from 1150lbs to 1350lbs, which is more than the factory receiver is rated for.

Even if you ignore all that like some will tell you, you may not like the towing experience, especially on long trips. You may feel that it's okay at first, mostly because you have nothing else to compare to and you're trying to justify your purchase subconsciously. Over the long term you may start to notice things aren't so great.

There's no guarantee that you will end up feeling one way or the other about the towing experience, but you stand a better chance of liking it in the long run if you don't try to push or exceed the factory limits.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MO_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
With regard to the hitch weight... won't the WDH help spread that weight to some extent over both truck and trailer? It seems so many of the larger "ultra light" trailers even many in 6000# area have hitch weights pushing 1000#.

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Largely I agree with the other posters. And nobody even said anything yet about how hard that thing will drink gas with that in tow. Not a doomsdayer here it will do it but would not be the optimum TV for lots of cross country towing with a boxy 33, plus well over 8,000 pounds wet. So you can buy the trailer and move it but will likely later upgrade your TV.

FWIW I tow TTs mostly Airstreams commercially with a Ram 1500 ED. With tune it has the benefit of 70 foot pound of torque over the stock Hemi plus a valuable turbo brake for when that load is pushing you down a mountain not to mention use half the fuel. All that said its still a lot for the 1500 platform. Factory hitch receiver with WDH is rated to 1,290 pounds on the tongue.

You would need a good WDH set up at the scales. If you don't have factory air suspension you would benefit from airbags such as TLC, Timber Grove, or Airlift. Also upgrading from a passenger to a load rated tire will firm up some wiggle.

Daryll was yours an 8 speed with the 3.92?

EDIT MO yea a good WDH set up at the scales should keep you below your 3,900 axle weight ratings or 7,800 combined. I have seen CVWR also important as high as 15,950 on a Ram 1500 but even with the trailer brake controller I wouldn't want to have that pushing me down a mountain without the help of a turbo brake. But if your truck is 6k and trailer 8.5k your at a CVWR of 14,500 which is ok.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I had a very similar truck a few years back and it felt "maxed" out pulling my 7500 lb 31 ft TT. It did the job, I never felt unsafe but on trips with full water or extra firewood etc I was not happy with the power or handling on hills. This is very subjective but I would not contemplate the combo you are considering.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Assuming you don't want to exceed the ratings, you are basically going to have to strip everything out of the truck and go to the bathroom before pulling out to stay under the limits on the 1000lb hitch weight trailer. Are you really going to be able to resist putting anything in the bed of the truck when heading out?

Realistically by the time you get up above the mid 20' range, moving up to a 3/4ton for the bigger brakes and heavier suspension starts making a lot of sense...not that I would predict death and destruction if you manage to stay in the ratings.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I won't get into detail on all the reasons why that is not a good combo but the easiest to consider is that once loaded up both those trailers' tongue weights will exceed the trucks hitch receiver rating. then there's the payload, tire, and axle ratings that will likely be exceeded as well. Trailers of that size and weight are well into 3/4 ton territory.

Check other manufacturers with similar layouts as the weights can vary significantly. Those trailers are heavy for their size. My 34' tt is only 6400lbs empty. Same layout with another manufacturer was 1k more.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
10K tow rating is NOW based on SAE J2807 Tow Rating Standards adopted in 2013.

The 1600# cargo carrying capacity (payload) is going to get eaten up fast
But with good WDH weight can be distributed across the truck F/R axles and trailer axles

Use 15% of trailers GVWR for guesstimated tongue weights and then see how that matches up in the number crunch
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hang on tight! That is a lot of trailer for any 1/2ton. It will pull it but it will not be fun. the 10k rating is "best case scenario". Such as a flat bed trailer loaded with blocks or something. Something you can load to have perfect weight distribution and no wind resistance. Travel trailers are the far opposite of "best case scenario". They rarely have perfect weight distribution and catch a ton of wind.
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat