cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Speeds

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you think States, like California, have a maximum speed of 55-mph when towing? Someone told me that the tires on most trailers, including semi-trucks, are not made for speeds over 55-mph; is this correct?
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel
75 REPLIES 75

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œWhat morons set these laws?โ€œ

Gee, jfkmk, sorry you donโ€™t approve of our MC lane splitting laws. It was hotly debated and California decided to adopt it. New Jersey may do likewise or refuse. Either way your state decides it is your decision and I wonโ€™t call or think you are a moron. States donโ€™t need to be identical.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course the motorcyclists are allowed to "lane split" -- otherwise, they'd be stuck behind my 60 mph trailer! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seriously, though, it's "white knuckle" time on the LA freeway system whenever I look in my mirrors and see a motorcycle approaching from behind, zooming between stopped or slowed vehicles, weaving around the protruding side mirrors (including my towing mirrors).

Because of the size of the trailer, I can't edge over to the other side of my lane, as I sometimes do when not towing, in order to give the biker a little more room. I just have to drive as straight as possible and hope that the skill of the rider will keep him safe.

Experienced motorcyclists have told me that lane splitting is perfectly safe, that they can tell when (for example) someone is going to suddenly change lanes in front of them without signaling. Not being a biker, I have no way to know if that is true or not.

And now, back on topic: Since most of our towing is on the open road (and not in town), I am guessing that the 55 maximum for trailers (which is more like 60 in the real world) is not a big problem for motorcyclists -- there is usually plenty of room for them to pass safely. 95 percent of the time, I am in the right lane, and they are in the left.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
They set the towing speed limit ridiculously low but allow motorcycles to ride between the lanes. What morons set these laws?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œwhy do some states allow double tow and others don't?โ€

Some like us believe double towing is safe enough....some donโ€™t. States donโ€™t need to be identical.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
dfletch wrote:
My 5th wheel tires are rated to 75MPH. I set my cruise control on 65MPH where alowed.

75... this is the same as my ST tires are rated for.
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Really.....its California, Jerry Brown, Sanctuary cities and now state, the most left of the left. Really....give it back to Mexico. I just returned from Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Mount Rushmmore, interstate speed posted at 80 mph in South Dakota and Wyoming.....its California what else needs to be said.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Not to take this topic too far off, but on the same note why do some states allow double tow and others don't?

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
What's happened in this country of ours is that there is not enough Law Enforce out there on the roads, so posted speed limits really mean nothing to a lot of drivers. On I-15 up thru Arizona, Nevada, California, and Utah the posted speed limit signs are only a suggestion. I was driving down I-15 this summer doing the speed limit (80 mph) and was passed by a large fifth wheel toy hauler.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rbpru wrote:
How fast you can go is not nearly as important as how fast you can stop.

Tire failure is probably the smallest percentage of the reasons for accidents. Impaired or just plain over driving your stopping skills has to rank higher.

It is also in the math, twice the speed means four times the amount of energy that needs to be transferred to the pavement to stop. Hopefully it is transferred through the tires and not the mangled wreckage of the tow vehicle and trailer sliding down the road.

In my experience, when you have to stop fast, a lot of pavement goes by before you and your TT have come to a stop.

Any time I need to nail the brakes I take a moment to examine WHY did I need to do that!!!
I was taught years ago to be a defensive driver!
This dosen't mean driving 55 in a 60 zone it is being AWARE of traffic all around you.
I am usually glancing at least 1/4 mile down the road, watching for traffic movement, and tail lights, on interstate check the mirrors often. I keep the necessary space between me and the traffic in front of me for the speed we are traveling, and the condition of the road. I don't like PANIC stops, I like seeing the traffic that 1/4 mile ahead braking, and lifting off the throttle, and making a decision if it is stopping or just slowing.
WAY TOO MANY drivers are only watching the traffic directly in frot of them. An exercise I use to do on the interstates to enforce this habit, was set my cruse control at about 5 mph above the speed of traffic in the right lane, but less than the freeway flyers. Then see how far I could go without needing to disengage the cruse control, or speeding up. This makes you plan ahead, rules was never force and approaching driver to need to slow, and never cut directly in front or behind someone. Doing this I became VERY AWARE of ALL the Traffic around me.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
OP wrote:
Someone told me that the tires on most trailers, including semi-trucks, are not made for speeds over 55-mph; is this correct?

All older poly carcass ST (trailer tires) carried a 65 mph max speed at one time.
However some brands of the newer poly carcass trailer tires are speed rated to 81-87 mph.
And like others say the LT and P tires have a much higher speed rating.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
Larryzv7 wrote:
Why do you think States, like California, have a maximum speed of 55-mph when towing? Someone told me that the tires on most trailers, including semi-trucks, are not made for speeds over 55-mph; is this correct?

Your best bet for towing a TT is to stay between 60-65 regardless of speed limit.. I try to stay around 62 max. It is safer for control and gas mileage really drops drastically above 65! I think most campers pulling a TT are of this mindset.

X2 on this
60 to 65 feels most comfortable to me on interstates

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 years ago when I was in California, I drove the speed limit of 55 mph, or actually a few miles over. Everyone, including 18 wheelers were passing me. I drove slow because I didn't know how sensitive the local LEO's were, especially since I was from across the US.

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
Larryzv7 wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, it is normal for people in California to do at least ten MPH over the speed limit. Can you imagine if the California limits were higher?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
How fast you can go is not nearly as important as how fast you can stop.

Tire failure is probably the smallest percentage of the reasons for accidents. Impaired or just plain over driving your stopping skills has to rank higher.

It is also in the math, twice the speed means four times the amount of energy that needs to be transferred to the pavement to stop. Hopefully it is transferred through the tires and not the mangled wreckage of the tow vehicle and trailer sliding down the road.

In my experience, when you have to stop fast, a lot of pavement goes by before you and your TT have come to a stop.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
Larryzv7 wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, it is normal for people in California to do at least ten MPH over the speed limit. Can you imagine if the California limits were higher?
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
87 MPH is correct for 1100/22 hi profile Michelin tires and my Pete tops 91 MPH at 2100 RPM and in 15th. They actually fudge on specs and you can go anywhere from 10 to 305 higher than rated. Michelin 1100/22r hi profile Up to 87 mph Speed Rating from Michelin's site.