cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towing thru Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming

jrdgc
Explorer
Explorer
I,m towing a 29 ft travel trailer with my 2013 silverado 1500----going west from Rapid City to Yellowstone.I.ve read hwy 16 thru the Big Horn mts is easier then hwy 14----but I,m still wondering if its too much for my truck---been towing for 4 yrs but not much mountain time---thanks for any help
18 REPLIES 18

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
Drove 14A (west to east)with motorhome pulling a Ranger. Sheer ignorance on my road choice. Still have the picture of the sign saying "10% grade next 13 miles". Had to stop 1/2 way up an unhitch the toad and completed the climb. Butt puckering is a good description. Drove 14 with a motorhome with the MB diesel engine. The joke was the corner isn't tight unless we see our own tail lights. But, it was an enjoyable drive with great scenery.
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled my 25 ft 6200 lb. CAT scale weight TT all over the Rockies in MT and also northern AZ and NM. I have a 2011 F-150 4x4 with an E-Boost. Not an issue. Neither the engine nor the transmission show any excessive heating.

I find mountain driving is best done at 50 to 55 mph or less. Those curve speed limiting are for real with a TT pushing you. Brake pumping is a must.

Some folks find mountain driving a white knuckle experience. I find slowing down does a lot to steady the nerves. Ford's tow haul option worked well for me.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

goldsp8
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are really comfortable mountain driving stay off 14A. It is a 10% grade that will bother a lots of folks, even in a car. I love the views so usually go that way myself.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just did the drive a few weeks ago from Wi to Yellowstone. Went around the bighorns on the way out and came through the southern part on the way home hwy 16. It was the biggest pass I went through and the most taxing on the truck. My 2500 did fine but a friend was pulling his trailer with a Denali Tahoe and was seeing tran temp hitting 250. Being from Wi I don't see many mountains so I may be a bit of a lightweight. Depending how close you are to your limits would be the deciding factor for me. Going up is one thing going down is a whole other which can be just as tough. There is a article on the web that explains all the ways into Yellowstone and what to expect on each route which I read a few time before deciding my route.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We drove 14A to Burgess without towing and it was steep. We would not want to two. Towed 14 and it was ok, do-able. Have never driven 16.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
1. It's not THAT curvy
2. It's not THAT steep
In all reality it's a nice drive...... I had no issues what so ever three weeks ago when I was going over it heading to Yellowstone. Then again I was pulling a 26ft trailer with a one ton dually... That doesn't change the fact that the entire road was plastered with trailers headed west and none of them seemed to be having any issues. I really do think the Bighorns get blown out of proportion on these forums. I was nervous on the way because of all I had read on here and about half way through I realized these forums are full of old people or people who can't drive, or people with subpar equipment setups because it was a piece of cake.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from Yellowstone, and I went the route Dean suggested. I went from Sturgis north to Broadus MT to Billings MT and then south to Cody. Per Google maps, only takes about an hour longer and it was a relatively easy drive.

That being said, I simply cannot imagine towing some of those grades and curves with any kind of wind with a bigger trailer and a 1/2 ton truck....and I towed with a 1/2 ton and fully believe they are capable trucks - in the upper Midwest. Not trying to be discouraging, but the heavier 3/4 ton is just so much more stable.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We did Black Hills and Yellowstone last year and after I had researched doing 14 or 16 through Big Horn Mountains, I decided against it and we went around using 90 to Billings and then back tracking to Cody, WY. I like you had a Silverado 1500, towing package and transmission cooler, and a 29' trailer, but I was running pretty heavy though. We entered through Yellowstone east entrance, at the top my transmission temps were at 225 and the outside temps where 45 degrees(mid July).

Good Luck and please report back how it goes, I think that will help others make choices.

thanks,
Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I did 14 east and 16 west and while 16 was probably a bit easier the change of scenery was worth doing both.
Either one is not a huge deal even if you go a bit slow at times.
Your truck is way newer than my old 260hp and 4spd transmission.
Allow yourself extra time and don't make it a race and you will be fine.

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
My only white knuckle experience ever pulling a trailer...... Hwy 16 West to East going down was hair raising and butt puckering. 2001 Ford F150 w/ 4500lb 27' trailer in 1st gear crawling my way down....... never again.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

JimVan
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone both routes , we just did 16 in June and that is the only way I would go again.
Jim & Vanessia
Winnebago Minnie 2500 rls
2015 Silverado 4x4

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
After doing research on this, out of curiosity, 16 is recommended by most reviews I read.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
I did it in a truck camper 2 years ago on alternate 14 and that was enough for me. I understand 16 is much more forgiving and I am contemplating doing it in a motorhome this year.

The scenery on 14 alternate is awesome but the grades are----- well lets just say I left my finger prints indented in the steering wheel. I never though I'd sweat any power issues in that pick up with a slide on camper having just finished the Alaska Hiway run in it. I found out otherwise when I started running low on gears to use to get up that grade! I'd do it in a car again but never Alternate 14 with anything that has any load. I may try 16 this year though.

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
Been up and down Big Horn with truck and camper in my sig. I would definitely go around next time.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.