cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing With A Subaru 2.5l

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I have enough sense to know that a 2019 Subaru Outback with a 2.5l engine that I just bought isn't going to light the towing world on fire, however does anyone here have any experiences they would like to share about towing with this set up? The car came with tow hitch and is rated at 2700 lbs. No way!! I plan to do a little lite towing of 1100 lbs. Opinions??
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
43 REPLIES 43

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
This OP doesn't care...as they are playing with our money that goes into everythings price...they bake in warranty/insurance/etc costs for everything folks purchase...

DaveF-250SD wrote:
To the OP,
If Subaru calls for cutting the published tow rating in half if the vehicle has to go up a hill or hills, you would do well to tow at the lower amount. That will avoid any possible damage to the car.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP,
If Subaru calls for cutting the published tow rating in half if the vehicle has to go up a hill or hills, you would do well to tow at the lower amount. That will avoid any possible damage to the car.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Close this thread. The OP had their mind made up before asking the question.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Make your case to who? Subaru will point to the clear wording of their warranty, which says only "damage from towing", not "damage from towing overweight".

Right; you stick with that theory

You assume Subaru will not enforce the plain language of their warranty terms, if it comes to that?

I don't need to engage with you over this because clearly you have your opinion which I disagree with
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I gotta ask, if you're so confident that you know it all with regards to towing with this car, why did you even bother to ask the question? You've been on this site since 2003 so you must know what would happen when you asked about towing something with anything other than a diesel dually truck.

I wanted relevant opinions not issues about warranties. So then what made you feel compelled to reply?
We love our Westie

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
I spent thirteen years having people tell me what I shouldn't tow with my Suby. And most of it was mountain roads. I let my load to about 80% of the rating and no problem. They used to have higher tow ratings in Australia than here. Ours were lower because of lawyers apparently. Now I did drive a manual tranny, so there is that as a disclaimer. But, Subarus were designed to tow. That was from a Suby Engineer. But that was also last gen. But my research seems to indicate that hasn't changed.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Make your case to who? Subaru will point to the clear wording of their warranty, which says only "damage from towing", not "damage from towing overweight".

You assume Subaru will not enforce the plain language of their warranty terms, if it comes to that?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I gotta ask, if you're so confident that you know it all with regards to towing with this car, why did you even bother to ask the question? You've been on this site since 2003 so you must know what would happen when you asked about towing something with anything other than a diesel dually truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

We love our Westie

blt2ski
One can blow up any given class 8 tractor towing 100,000 lbs of trailer too! Within its ratings......

I personally do.not see an issue with what OP is going to do. Would do the same myself. Suby's are good cars etc for what they are. They should be able to tow upwards of 3000 lbs if one is smart about what they tow and how! No different than this of us using typical light duty trucks, to true heavy duty trucks.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
JALLEN4 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
pauldub wrote:
I'm not sure how you're going to drive I-15 from California to Washington, maybe you mean I-5. You'll have to go over the mountains in northern California on I-5. I'd be a bit concerned after reading the owner's manual for your 2019 Subie.

Here's one quote: SUBARU warranties do not apply to
vehicle damage or malfunction caused by
trailer towing.

Here's another quote that isn't encouraging: When towing a trailer on a long uphill grade continuously for over 5 miles (8 km) with an outside temperature of 104F (40C) or above Maximum total trailer weight 1,350 lbs (612 kg)

I didn't think I needed to explain how you get to Washington from the I-15 but just to let you know it connects with the I-90. I am leasing the car so if the trans takes a ****, its theirs not mine. It came with a tow package so it must mean you can tow with it under 2700lbs. As long as you can prove that you are under that, then the language means nothing. I think I'm safe at 1100 lbs

I don't know a thing about the towing question but I know a lot about leases. If the warranty repair is rejected, they will hold you responsible and they will collect.
Key phrase if its rejected. I think they need to prove that a CVT transmission was overly used for towing, or that the day you towed it was above 104 degrees. I can make my case very well. I plan to tow with it 4x a year 1500 miles each way with a light load. No issues
We love our Westie

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
pauldub wrote:
I'm not sure how you're going to drive I-15 from California to Washington, maybe you mean I-5. You'll have to go over the mountains in northern California on I-5. I'd be a bit concerned after reading the owner's manual for your 2019 Subie.

Here's one quote: SUBARU warranties do not apply to
vehicle damage or malfunction caused by
trailer towing.

Here's another quote that isn't encouraging: When towing a trailer on a long uphill grade continuously for over 5 miles (8 km) with an outside temperature of 104F (40C) or above Maximum total trailer weight 1,350 lbs (612 kg)

I didn't think I needed to explain how you get to Washington from the I-15 but just to let you know it connects with the I-90. I am leasing the car so if the trans takes a ****, its theirs not mine. It came with a tow package so it must mean you can tow with it under 2700lbs. As long as you can prove that you are under that, then the language means nothing. I think I'm safe at 1100 lbs

I don't know a thing about the towing question but I know a lot about leases. If the warranty repair is rejected, they will hold you responsible and they will collect.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
I didn't think I needed to explain how you get to Washington from the I-15 but just to let you know it connects with the I-90.

Odd and very long route to get to Washington but very scenic. You'll cross the Continental Divide twice as well as pulling Lookout Pass on I-90 (no 'the' up here) 😉 so be ready to pull some hills. I agree though, with an 1100 pound low profile trailer you should have no issues.
I live in the SoCal Desert so the 15 is the obvious choice. Taken this route for years as we head to the east side of Washington. The road is so much better than that destroyed I-5. Not to many bad grades after the Baker grade near Vegas. Also many better choices of cites to stay and any issues on the road.
We love our Westie