cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota Diesel

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this isn't old news, but news to me. Just read that Tundra will come out with a Cummins in 2016. Optional I assume.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.
56 REPLIES 56

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
2BLAZERS wrote:
sleepy wrote:
If the price at the pump is exactlly the same between gasoline and diesel...

diesel is still much cheaper.

Because diesel gets so many more mpg

On my best day my old 3/4 ton gasoline fueled truck got 9.9 mpg

With my Lance 1161 fully loaded I actually have almost 70,000 miles averaging 15.1 mpg using diesel (my trucks computer read out and verified)

If both fuels are $4.00/gallon

My old gasoline engine would require 505.05 gallons to go 5000 mile which would cost $2020.20

My diesel engine would require 331.12 gallons to go 5000 miles which would cost $1324.50

That is a $695.69 savings over 5000 milesat $4.00/gallon

That is $24,349.38 saved in fuel over a gasoline engine for the 70,000 miles that I have had my Duramax if both gasoline and diesel are both priced at exactly $4.00/gallon.

It appears to me that the extra cost of the diesel engine has been well worth it...

Your math is wrong. $695.69 in savings per 5000 miles. 70,000/5000 = 14. $695.69*14 = $ 9,739.66 in savings in 70k miles. So you've now offset the cost of the diesel upgrade with diesel = gas in costs per gallon.

To bad diesel has basically been costing at 50 cents a gallon more than gas for almost 10 years now.

The cost of the maintenance will easily eat at least 50% (or more) of the amount "saved". We have to assume the maintenance will be done at a commercial garage or dealership since MOST PEOPLE will have it performed that way. Yes, you have maintenance on a gas motor as well-it's not anywhere near as costly.

Dear CKNSLS

When will I have to start doing the maintaince beyond the $44 oil changes at walmart.

Of couse my duramax is only 11 years old and I have looked, I can't find any plugs, points, etc to work on in my diesel engine.

Are you sure that you have a diesel engine? Have you ever had one? If so you must have abused it or been very unlucky.

With that note, I decided I'd better look.

My search of your past posts tell me that you own a 2011 1/2 ton pick up truck that you tow a small trailer with.

That doesn't sound like you have a lot of diesel maintaince experience

Please correct me if I'm wrong... we want the forum reader to get honest information, don't we?
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
Here in green CA we have greener gas at a cost and I believe greener diesel also also at a cost , diesel hasent been cheaper than gas for years ,still cheaper overall than gas in my VW TDI that get up to 50mpg
I heard on the news the whole country will be getting a new greener gas by I think it was 2016 at a cost of about 6 cents per gal , ya right, bet its more
Anytime you factor in the lifetime miles (say 500k) you get out of a diesel motor , you come out ahead , no matter the cost of fuel
And theres also higher resale value
As far as maintenance I find diesels easier to work on than gas and as cheap, with way less to go wrong , aside from taking 3 times the oil to change
I havent owned a gasser anything in 12 years

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
2BLAZERS wrote:
sleepy wrote:

With my Lance 1161 fully loaded I actually have almost 70,000 miles averaging 15.1 mpg using diesel (my trucks computer read out and verified)

My old gasoline engine would require 505.05 gallons to go 5000 mile which would cost $2020.20

My diesel engine would require 331.12 gallons to go 5000 miles which would cost $1324.50

That is 9,739.66 saved in fuel over a gasoline engine for the 70,000 miles that I have had my Duramax if both gasoline and diesel are both priced at exactly $4.00/gallon.

It appears to me that the extra cost of the diesel engine has been well worth it...

Your math is wrong. $695.69 in savings per 5000 miles. 70,000/5000 = 14. $695.69*14 = $ 9,739.66 in savings in 70k miles. So you've now offset the cost of the diesel upgrade with diesel = gas in costs per gallon.

Too bad diesel has basically been costing at 50 cents a gallon more than gas for almost 10 years now.

thank you.... as some one recently pointed out I'm an old guy with problems :B I corrected the above in red... to match my face

The dramax in 2003 was about $5,000 extra.. so I'm ahead...even with your correction.

My truck still looks very good, and "they say" the engine is good for 300,000 miles... a good chance some one will get a great truck at the end of my life... looking for another 30 plus years.

I'm hopeing for a few more coast to coast trips... made possible by diesel and boondocking in our truck camper.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
2BLAZERS wrote:
sleepy wrote:

That is $24,349.38 saved in fuel over a gasoline engine for the 70,000 miles that I have had my Duramax if both gasoline and diesel are both priced at exactly $4.00/gallon.

To bad diesel has basically been costing at 50 cents a gallon more than gas for almost 10 years now.

The cost of the maintenance will easily eat at least 50% (or more) of the amount "saved". We have to assume the maintenance will be done at a commercial garage or dealership since MOST PEOPLE will have it performed that way. Yes, you have maintenance on a gas motor as well-it's not anywhere near as costly.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
I filled the VW diesel last night. The cost was the same as high end gas, $3.99 .. I have run my truck for the past 13 years on bio diesel that cost me anywhere between 1 and 2 bucks a gallon. Won't be doing that much longer so will just have to grin and pay the costs. Diesel won't get cheaper, the whole world uses it to move goods and there is a demand for it. Just about everything we purchase got to us using some form of diesel. Just an opinion.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
okan-star wrote:
The cost is , more diesels in the USA , better or worse ?
A few years ago when imports started using more diesel motors I heard it would bring down the cost of diesel . I havent seen that
Now CA has "smog tests" for diesel, and we lost most of the cetane in our diesel

Not the case in Australia. Diesel is not an "economy" option in Australia. Payloads are up to 3000lbs.
This Asian sourced 3.2 diesel Pickup is part of a package for a Forest River Heartland 5th Wheeler 32ft long. Slow? Speed Limit is 70mph..in other words..you do not get below 70mph on freeways outside of major cities, 120kph (75mph)is the maxiumum set speed, Overtaking over 80mph.
3.2 litre Diesel pulling 32ft 5ver.

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming that both Toyota and Nissan will up their ratings by going diesel. They could easily get into the 250/2500 range of trucks and steal a bunch of sales from the big three. Seeing more Tundra's on job sites the last few years.

For us consumers competition is great!
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
Will they ever haul a self contained truck camper?

I see an awful lot of empty 1/2 ton trucks on the road... most don't look like anything has ever scratched the paint in their beds.

There are a lot of them in my neighborhood that aren't used for work... jacked up, oversize or expensive pretty wheels, fancy flaps (mud flaps that is) special exhausts to make them loud, chips, etc.

Their owners had a piece of cardboard hitting the spokes of their bicycle wheels when they were children... and tassels on their handle bars...

As adults some of these people have laser lights and LEDs on their bicycles and wear special racing cloths to ride around the neighborhoods.... extended childhood

Wanta bees...

in my opinion...

A large portion of the little diesel trucks that the OP mentiond will end up as pimped up and nearly usless except for groceries or hauling a couple of gallons of gasoline for the lawnmower

Where they will excell is driving round and round the Sonic Dirive In.... and rumbling through the neigborhood empty.

And at what cost?

Different strokes for different folks
Some crowds like lift kits and driving into every mud puddle they can find , I dont get it , but what ever drives the economy
Some probably dont get having a TC

The cost is , more diesels in the USA , better or worse ?
A few years ago when imports started using more diesel motors I heard it would bring down the cost of diesel . I havent seen that
Now CA has "smog tests" for diesel, and we lost most of the cetane in our diesel
I have a grocery getter VW diesel car , if I needed a light duty truck I might get a diesel Toyota
Its for sure when those trucks come out its going to spike the "will my truck haul this camper " thread count

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
Raften wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Raften wrote:
I don't think payload is what they are aiming for.

OK- I get it. The market are for those who want a diesel for a grocery getter.

That makes as much sense as selling ice cubes at the North Pole!

I don't think you do get it. Might depend on where you live but around here the area is full of half tons hauling construction and service stuff. SO, I talked to the head guy doing some remodeling on the house. He said he drives as much as 200 miles a day checking on his crews and taking tools and supplies back and forth. He said he would welcome a diesel for the reasons I have stated above. He also mentioned the torque advantage getting on a freeway pulling say a cement pumper or heavy load of drywall.

Also theres the longevity of a diesel motor , for someone like this
Might get 500k miles or more in the motor , coupled with Toyota . Thats going to be hard to beat. Camper hauling excluded

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Will they ever haul a self contained truck camper?

I see an awful lot of empty 1/2 ton trucks on the road... most don't look like anything has ever scratched the paint in their beds.

There are a lot of them in my neighborhood that aren't used for work... jacked up, oversize or expensive pretty wheels, fancy flaps (mud flaps that is) special exhausts to make them loud, chips, etc.

Their owners had a piece of cardboard hitting the spokes of their bicycle wheels when they were children... and tassels on their handle bars...

As adults some of these people have laser lights and LEDs on their bicycles and wear special racing cloths to ride around the neighborhoods.... extended childhood

Wanta bees...

in my opinion...

A large portion of the little diesel trucks that the OP mentiond will end up as pimped up and nearly usless except for groceries or hauling a couple of gallons of gasoline for the lawnmower

Where they will excell is driving round and round the Sonic Dirive In.... and rumbling through the neigborhood empty.

And at what cost?

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
They are 25 years late to the diesel party

Actually Toyota has had a diesel motor option in trucks since the early 80`s , before Dodge
Saw one at a gas station a few years ago , kinda wanted it

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Raften wrote:
I don't think payload is what they are aiming for.

OK- I get it. The market are for those who want a diesel for a grocery getter.

That makes as much sense as selling ice cubes at the North Pole!

I don't think you do get it. Might depend on where you live but around here the area is full of half tons hauling construction and service stuff. SO, I talked to the head guy doing some remodeling on the house. He said he drives as much as 200 miles a day checking on his crews and taking tools and supplies back and forth. He said he would welcome a diesel for the reasons I have stated above. He also mentioned the torque advantage getting on a freeway pulling say a cement pumper or heavy load of drywall.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
Nissan Titan and Toyota Tundra each getting the 5.0 L Cummins. Either of those will make nice tow vehicles for small to midsize travel trailers and 5th wheels.

Too bad the RAM 1500 is only getting the 3.2 Liter Cummins.

Actually it's not a 3.2L Cummins, it's an Italian firm VM Motori engine.

Thanks - I actually should have known that after reading the news about the 1500 several times.

I maintain an Acme Motori 2 Cylinder diesel engine powered generator for my neighbor.

What was I thinking? :h