Did you mean:ย 

TR: Part II Onward to Glen Canyon, Black Canyon and CS

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
In case you missed Part 1 of our 2 week trip

Part I Clicky

We made it down the hair raising switch backs of the Burr trail

watch out for the resident Yeti at the bottom.

We headed south to check out Lake Powell

there is so much to check out you want to stop every mile or so, you could spend a week exploring just this area

we reached the viewpoint to Lake Powell and the Bullfrog marina

Wolfy II did great on the washboard roads it was Bretts Tooth that jiggled loose

some more amzaing scenery along the way: each layer represents how many years again?

we pulled into Stanton Creek Primitive campground.

and found a pretty sweet campsite, again we had the place to ourselves

It was about 70 degrees and the kids got right to work

perfect day

we hit the road on the 276 to the 95 and continued South/East totally out of the way towards our final destination in Colorado Springs

Decided to head down the Moki Dugway

set up camp at goosenecks state park

another geology lesson

and then a geography lesson

from four corners we headed into Durango and back to civilization and checked into a hotel to regroup and eat at some restaurants. I have been a hilton honors member for about 7 years and have never used my points. After 7 years of staying in Hilton hotels I had 85,000 points but it cost 35,000 points to stay at the hampton inn in Duragno!

to try and take the longest way possible we headed north on the 550 to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National park, since we brought all the snow gear we were hoping to encounter some of the white stuff

it was nice at first, but soon turned extreme and it started to snow harder and harder

no guard rails! lucky we had a lead blocker in front of us

Snow Storm Video Clicky

amazing town of Oury

and now we pause for this commercial break...
My new Torklift tie down system is the bomb, I love my fastguns, so easy to adjust when needed. I feel very safe with these things holding my camper on. I only wished I brought a rubber mallet to knock off all the ice! I must have added several hundered pounds of ice to my rig.

It pretty much snowed all the way to Black Canyon NP, the snow is a bit different on the feet than so cal beach sand. I still had my flip flops on and my DW went out barefoot for this pic. The kids were the smart ones and stayed in the truck

we scrambled to to get our winter gear and found the campground

we were the only ones in the campground and notice the sign "no fees in winter" ๐Ÿ™‚

this is what all the other campsite looked like

it got down to 8 degrees and despite keeping the furnace at 70 degress and the wave 3 on high the entire time we still had the condensation freeze up

the thermal pane windows worked great, someone needs to invent thermal window frames, still trying to figure out how to handle the condenstaion issue with 4 people in an 8ft camper.

we lounged around in the snow for a few days burning about 2 gal of propane per day then headed east on the 50 to Colorado Springs for Thanksgiving

seeing this sign before Monarch Pass was a bit disturbing

all was well no avalanches

we made it into Colorado Springs depsite the major wind gusts for some family fun, horseback riding

Air Hocky, (don't let the name penny arcade fool you in Manitou Springs, Air Hocky cost $1)

and some hiking around the garden of the gods

It is crazy it took us over a week to get to CS but one day to drive home. We left CS at 6am and arrived home in SD about 11:30pm. What an epic trip! Can't wait for the next one ๐Ÿ™‚

Nolan
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
32 REPLIES 32

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Anu,
Thanks for the E-ticket ride. Both chapters. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Lance 865 F.S. I'm thinking the winter pkg. on your TC was the way to go.
Having bro John stay in our 'other bedroom suite', plugged into power and water during the Thanksgiving holiday was a close as we came to TC-ing. We had 8 family members sleeping in beds in the house for the four days, and Bro made the ninth. Odd man out...side.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome report. Swimsuits to ski caps with fantastic pictures to boot. ...quite a trip for the kids and their parents. Bravo Nolan thank you for posting.
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Just got home tonight and had to give this another look on the computer instead of the iPhone. Missed part 1 but just looked at it too. I appreciate the planning and execution of the trip there Dad, a big round of applause is coming your way. This one has everything! Including tooth removal by bumpy road, that has to be a first. The marathon drive back to San Diego from Co. Springs?! Let's see, that's 2 Five Hours, a couple of Monsters and a Red Bull for me plus a nap somewhere in there. That's some driving I have to say. If there was one, and if I could do it, I'd nominate this one for first place trip report of the year. Wishing you more trips like this one to come.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
AWESOME!!!! I love it!
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

flaxi
Explorer
Explorer
very excellent report. Thanks a lot ! I remember the impressive Black Canyon with white "powder", too ! ๐Ÿ™‚
Great pics !

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
We used to live down the street from Garden of the Gods. Spent a lot time there. Beautiful park. The whole area is gorgeous, but early to mid Fall is amazing.

Too bad you couldn't come during Halloween. Manitou really gets into it. Lots of spiritual mysticism and pagan beliefs surround the area. Nothing that we ever got involved with, but we knew of people who evidently "communed" with spirits. Creepy.

I regularly fished for and brought back Trout dinner from the Rampart Range Reservoir which is directly behind the G of the G's.

Nice report, dude. Do you have friends or family in the Springs?
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it coming!!!! Reading these TR is how I escape the reality of being at work!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Nice report. Did the Moki Dugway (love that name!!), Goosenecks camping and Mexican Hat last October. Great part of the country.

Thanks for sharing.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very entertaining! With so much snow on the ground, how did you get into your campsite??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for trip and photos.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful trip report Nolan. Really enjoyed both Parts 1 and 2. The wife and I covered just about everything you and your family did this past April and May when we were gone for two months. We also enjoyed the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park just outside of Montrose, Colorado in mid May and got caught in a four foot snowstorm pummeling the front range of the Rockies. That was an experience we'll never forget as we were holed up in our camper for a couple of days waiting for the road to clear at Monarch Pass. Anyhow, you did an excellent job on your trip report with really nice photos. Thanks for sharing.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

work2fish
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent report. I have lived in Colorado my whole life yet you still gave me some places I need to check out. Thanks for sharing your trip...
2011 Ford F-350, KR, 6.7L, 4X4, SRW, short bed
2007 Northstar 850SC truck camper
2002 Lund Fisherman 1700 w/ Suzuki DF140

hikerdmb
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome Nolan. How was Gunnison? Part 1 of the trip was great too.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with Hemi
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Daystar Leveling Kit
285/75/17 BFG All-Terrain TA
2008 Sun-lite Eagle SB
65 Watt Solar Panel
1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Gregory Z-65 Backpack

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
A very incredible trip. You covered the gamut of time in geology, weather in climatology, made it back to sea level in a day and had fun doing it, fabulous! Funny too, just looked at your picture from Moki Dugway and we're camped five miles away tonight on our way home. We took our girls down Round Valley when they were young as well. We have much in common it seems. Except that you're young and I'm not, dammit. Thanks for the trip, I enjoyed it!!

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip..
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.