cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: The "Wildnerness" Jennie Lakes near KC and Seq NP

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you own a truck camper and like to do some mild hiking this is a MUST do trip for you and your family ๐Ÿ™‚ Unable to secure camping reservations at lodgepole campground and with the scare of water not being available at Dorst camprgound in Sequoia national park we decided to "wing it" and just head for the hills.

Who would have thought our first casualty on the new wolf creek would be from an oak tree in our own driveway...In case you were wondering what the inside of the new antenna looks like. The funny thing is I did not add this as an option and northwood installed this by mistake, so I am happy to get rid of this thing I will never use.

We left San Diego in the morning and ended up making it into sequioa national forest at the Kings canyon and Sequoia national park entrance. we pulled off at big stump picnic area for a quick dinner.

This wasn't the biggest stump but the closest stump

Here is a map our the area: Big Meadows campground is pretty nice and seculuded, however there are big rewards if you bypass the "developed" campgrounds and explore the "dispersed" sites. Especially on the weekend for those "weekend warrior" types.

If you follow the green line you can see exactly where we made it into the "wilderness"

14S16 is the dirt road turnoff from paved road passed big meadows campground. Basically once you pass the campground and go over the bridge, it will be the first dirt road on the right.

finally getting away from it all and heading up up up...What is this "wilderness" thing everybody keeps talking about?

This is our camping/parking space for the next couple of days. This makes the big meadows campground look like tract housing ๐Ÿ™‚

sunsets in the area are pretty nice

Glad I brought my camera on this trip

The stars in the area are pretty nice as well

the nice thing about the wolf creek 850 is the amount of storage. I pulled out all the backpacking gear shoved in every nook and cranny and prepared pack everything back into and even smaller space in our backpacks. we would need this for an overnight stay in the "Wilderness".

we headed out ready to tackle Weaver Lake which is about a 2.5 mile hike to the lake. There is also Jennie lake which is about 5 miles. This is considered the Jennie Lakes Wilderness nestled in between Kings canyon national park and Sequoia National park. A great place to avoid the crowds of the summer.

If you were wondering why I keep referencing the term "Wildnerness" it is because I never knew what it actually meant until I read what it was posted on a sign.

we signed in

and headed up

up

up

a few breaks are in order on the way in as it is all uphill. Its nice because the way back is all down.

The hike is well worth the effort

headed around the south/west part of the lake to find our campsite

this place will do ๐Ÿ™‚

pitched the tent and got a fire going

nothing like mac n cheese and hotdogs for lunch

we set out to explore weaver lake

immediatly my kids wanted me to set up the fishing poles

I need to take a fishing class or something because it took me about an hour to set up th fishing pole with my kids patiently waiting..the fire starting to go out...dishes needing to get done...the dread of sleeping in a tent with a jacket for a pillow, no beer because it is too heavy...uhhh can I go back to the truck camper now?

It didn't help on the first trial cast the bait and the hook flew off!

we finally go the hang of it and right around dusk hundereds of fish were jumping out of the water catching bugs...our bait was submerged in the water

kids soaking it all in

filitering water, boy did we miss out 30 gallon fresh water tank and
case of bottled water at the camper.

the next morning we woke to thunder storms and the rain falling down.

headed back to the cozy camper

the start of the trip is the fox meadow trailhead, our camping spot is about 1/4 mile further down the road

We saw more marmonts on the trip than other campers in the area. Down in the valley where the big meadows campground is we could hear the faint sound of music playing and car alarms going off.

if you own a truck camper, or smaller rv this is a really cool place to put on your list...camp fees spent on trip $0, and the only permit you need is a campfire permit you complete and print online.

headed back out to the "flat land" where temps are currently in the high 90's and california is in a major drought...boy do we wish we could be full timers.

hope you enjoyed the trip and hope you can make it on the next one ๐Ÿ™‚
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
22 REPLIES 22

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those are lucky children -- well done!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thnaks for sharing what looks like a wonderful gem in an over populated area. You sure are more energetic and braver than me making it an overnight trip leaving the poor TC to sit all alone - with the beer unguarded. But so glad seeing you take the extra steps to enjoy life with the kids.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
sleepy; yes that is also why I love posting...so I can go back again and again ๐Ÿ™‚

jmtandem: wish Icould spend more time with the narrative, and spell check

Reddog1: glad to share

mpoulsen: I wish it was my backyard! We saw a couple large 5th wheels at big meadow campround which is a great campround right on the creek. The reason we went with a TC was to get to places you would normally have to sleep in a tent. i would also recommend bringing Mountain bikes up there as there are many cool areas to explore.

Tiger4x4RV : you won't be disapointed in the area. Weaver and Jennie lakes has to be one of the closest lakes in the sierra from san diego that is relatively easy to hike to. You could easily hike to the lake as a day trip and back to our camper for dinner.

Buzzcut1 : glad you enjoyed it

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli: a little research and some luck and we found a cool spot ๐Ÿ™‚

Cadillac Jack : I love the sierras, can't wait till my kids can venture a bit further out. The high sierra trail is on our bucket list. I try and keep our hikes less than 3 miles per day but the Desert still is my fav

Nemo667: yes, We love our TC; thanks for coming along

hikerdmb : love to share our experiences to inspire others, and hope to inspire my kiddos to one day join dad when they have families of their own to join us. If you need any LED lights for your sunlight I have a bunch I took out of my WC1 I don't need. pm me if you are interested.

bka0721 : all I can do now is Trip reports and one day hopefully they will be "life reports"

Mello Mike : yes wolfy II is even better than wolfy 1. Glad we stuck with northwood. A couple of the cushions started to fray and run. northwood sent us a whole new set of cushions ๐Ÿ™‚ the antenna was the first thing I noticed when We picked up the camper at apache camping center and I didn't think it was ours because it was an option I did not add. Thinking of removing the antenna and installing the junction box for my solar set up in its place.

Bubtoofat: ๐Ÿ™‚

delosholly: the pics don't do the place justice. You will love it out west

NVR2L82AV8 : ๐Ÿ™‚

dakonthemountain : You should have no issues with your dually and camper making it up there. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

jefe 4x4 : I was surprised as well it is virtually the only area in the sierras that the ban is not in effect. Exemption list clickyMy kids get cold very easy and having a fire is usually essential in them not huddled in their sleeping bags in the early evening and mornings. I can't believe how much down wood there is and virtually all the streams were dry. While at weaver lake a 40ft dead tree decided to fall about 50 yards from our campsite. It fell into another tree and was one of the loudest sounds I have ever heard in the backcountry .(besides the thunder) i guess trees do make a sound when they fall!
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
What a great TR. You and your family looked just like we did with the same span of kids some 40 yrs ago, even all the backpacking and fishing details. It's good to know of the 'beyond the end of the road' dispersed camping area in Sequoia. I hope we can go there in the fall after school is back in session. I'm actually surprised that the fire ban was not in effect. We're going to the eastern Sierra Nevada next week with bro John and Krys, and the fire ban is in effect for the whole SerNev.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Yay!! What a fun family time! Even if no fish were killed in the process! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you for sharing this trip (and the actual location and directions!) I'll be making that trip soon! I have a dually; is the dirt road passable with a monster truck and big top heavy camper also do you think?

Thanks again!
Daki
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding!! GIDDYUP!!
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics and report. My DW keeps saying we need to make a notebook of places to see (and eat at) for our travels. Your report certainly will make that a reality. As a person living "a little bit" away from that area, we have not had the opportunity to seee it for ourselves yet. Only 9.25 years to go until retirement.
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome.
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Great TR, Nolan. Looks like everyone is enjoying Wolfy II. You got some terrific boondocking shots worthy of inclusion in a calender.

Too bad about that wineguard antenna, but not really. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've been thinking about removing mine, too. It's too high for my liking and too prone to catching tree branches.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for sharing your adventure with the family. These type of TRs are some of the best.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

hikerdmb
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip Nolan. You are a great dad to get your kids out like this. Thanks for posting.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with Hemi
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Daystar Leveling Kit
285/75/17 BFG All-Terrain TA
2008 Sun-lite Eagle SB
65 Watt Solar Panel
1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Gregory Z-65 Backpack

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
The perfect truck camper trip...thanks for bringing us along.
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Cadillac_Jack
Explorer
Explorer
Nice report. I have done that wilderness many times.

In my opinion, the Sequoia area of the Sierras is the most incredible place that I have ever seen. By far my favorite place in the world.

So many folks go to Yosemite with its massive crowds and traffic not realizing that the Sequoia is just as spectacular without all the noise.

The high Sierra trail out of crescent meadow leads to scenery that boggles the mind.

Of course most folks never venture more than a few feet from their vehicles. Good on you for showing the kids what really matters.