cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traded the Tahoe in on an Ecoboost

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
What a difference. The Tahoe was more for fuel economy than towing. All of about 12.5 mpg It had the 4.8 with 3.23 gears. And a second gear that seemed about 8000 rpm. The F-150 3.5L Ecoboost is a monster. Towed my trailer up to about 7500 feet on some pretty steep grades. No problems. Watched the temp gauges the whole way. The transmission temp gauge went up a little, but the engine temp gauge was solid. Could've gone 90mph all the way. Found out today that it has a 3.15 rear end. Wouldn't have known it from how it towed. It also has a 6 speed auto transmission that auto-downshifts in tow/haul mode. It doesn't have an external transmission cooler in it, which I don't understand. It would cost Ford about $15 a unit to install them in all their trucks. So I have one on order, and I'll get it hooked up before our 2000 mile trip this summer.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
11 REPLIES 11

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Congrats on your new truck! Turbo engines tow nicely!

Be aware that your gauges are software smoothed. What you see is not what you get.

This is true, they show normal right up until they peg hot. Had a manual trans temp gauge on my Ford and it could be all over the place but the dash gauge never moved.

My F150 had a screen on the dash that showed transmission temperature as a number in addition to the gauge on the cluster. The cluster gauge is definitely software smoothed, but the number gauge did show the true temp. It was the only thing on the screen, but if you thumb through the displays, you'll find it. I used to watch it like a hawk, but the highest I ever saw was 207 pulling my toy hauler over US 26 at Mt Hood. I had the regular (non-max) tow version with 3.31 gears.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Be aware that your gauges are software smoothed. What you see is not what you get.

Yep, I use a scangauge2 in my Nissan, and it displays the actual water temp.

By comparison, the factory dash gauge for temp "stays in the middle" from 155 degrees on up to (apparently 232 ). I've never seen more than 210 or so, but of course the factory gauge needle was still right there in the middle.

Some of the OEM's also report out trans temp on the automatics to the OBD port, so the scangauge "may" also be able to show trans temp.

Enjoy your new truck OP.... I test drove one of those, and it's a nice truck and a strong running motor for sure.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

This is true, they show normal right up until they peg hot. Had a manual trans temp gauge on my Ford and it could be all over the place but the dash gauge never moved.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your truck! Don't worry too much about the gear ratio, the wide ratio of todays 6spd transmissions almost makes the rear end irrelevant. The 6R80 has a 1st gear of 4.17:1, so even with a 3.15 rear end, your first gear is still lower than the old 4spd was with a 4.10!! The rest of the gears in the 6R80 are spaced very nicely with 4th being a slight underdrive at 1.14:1 instead of direct 1:1, which is like being in direct with a lower rear axle. The torque of the ecoboost will make up for the 3.15, and it will help your unloaded mpg. Enjoy your truck!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to Ford trucks. Nice choice
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
You bought the worst gear ratio if you want to protect the transmission.

My bad. I thought it was 3.55 when I got it. But it didn't struggle, or hunt for gears or anything. I guess a light enough trailer and enough torque to keep it in the higher gears makes a big difference. My Tahoe would downshift on overpasses. The F-150 only downshifted on long steep grades. Huge difference.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Why install more tranny cooling? You said yourself the temp only went up a little, despite steep grades. Seems to me they have enough cooling already.

This summer we'll be towing through the Mojave, Nevada, and the length of Utah into Idaho and back to California. Most of that will be in 100 plus degrees. The mountain trip was much cooler. And, like someone said "you can't have too much transmission cooler". I think he was selling aftermarket parts.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You bought the worst gear ratio if you want to protect the transmission.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Why install more tranny cooling? You said yourself the temp only went up a little, despite steep grades. Seems to me they have enough cooling already.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln