cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Length definition

RichieW
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought my first trailer. The seller called it a 26-footer. But the model is a 250T, which implies 25 feet to me. The actual box of the trailer measures about 23.5 and the length from bumper to tongue is about 27.5.

Is there any general system for what measurement is the length of a trailer?

When I see campsites that say "no trailers over 30 feet", are they referring to the actual length, or the nominal length?
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab V-8
2015 Sunset Trail 290RL
46 REPLIES 46

RichieW
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:
Did any one look at the spec sheet before they bought the thing. I for sure did my homework. There are no set rules for model numbers or if includes the back bumper or spare. If a few feet matter take your tape measure and do your homework

What spec sheet?

I bought mine used. The seller called it a 26-footer. I can't find any paperwork or labels that indicate 26 feet. Nothing I measured comes out to 26 feet.
2015 Sunset Trail 290RL

Judy_D
Explorer
Explorer
Hah figure this one out. Our toy Hauler was a 2300 ( 23 foot ) It angeled in at the base. The actual box at the longest point ( no bumper ) was 25 feet. From hitch to rear total length was 28 feet. Yep they want you to think you are getting a very roomy trailer thats only 23 feet long so you of course can pull it with just about any thing.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Did any one look at the spec sheet before they bought the thing. I for sure did my homework. There are no set rules for model numbers or if includes the back bumper or spare. If a few feet matter take your tape measure and do your homework

prm99v6
Explorer
Explorer
I use full length from bumper to hitch when reserving a campsite. My problem is that Aerolite had the unit listed as 28' in their literature and on their website. Every dealer I found (at the time when I bought mine) said 28'. It wasn't until after I bought it when I actually measured it that I determined the 28' was the box length. The total trailer is 32'. I should have measured at the dealer...I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it was 32'.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Having a HTT is a different game entirely. We had a ROO 23SS, but when the bunkends are dropped, about 4' is added to both front and back. The trailer itself was actually 20+, but I always reserved sites based on 30'. I do most of our reservations online and the majority of state parks, COE, etc have pictures of the sites, which help a lot....you can see if trees or other are going to be a problem. We found that our fav site at our fav SP and was a snap to get into with the ROO, is now a PITA with our 2604....lost maneuvering space and the slide is about 1/2 again as deep as the one on the ROO, so shifting over. Folks with 3 bunkends in a HTT really do have to look for trees and utilities on that side.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
ah64id wrote:

I appologize, I should've been more clear. We where discussing model vs box size, not total length. That is a beautiful trailer!

Thanks for the compliment on the trailer. We're very happy with it.

I was including the total length in large part for the OP's benefit. Just trying to respect the original question.

BTW, I worked in the computer industry when nearly every monitor's model number was being fudged to suggest it was a bit more than what real-estate was truly available. The class-action settlement translated into about a $5 refund per monitor for everyone who bothered to file a claim.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
RichieW wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
Once upon a time the model # was an indicator of length. Some manufacturers used box length, some total length. Now it is more of marketing tactic to get you to think that a particular model is either shorter or longer than it really is.

Then again, the OP wasn't asking about model #'s.

Model # was part of the question.

I assumed that model number was a direct reflection of the length in some way. But this thread shows that I was wrong about that.

It is still, in general, a reflection of length. There are some exceptions, but for the most part it does hold true.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

RichieW
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Once upon a time the model # was an indicator of length. Some manufacturers used box length, some total length. Now it is more of marketing tactic to get you to think that a particular model is either shorter or longer than it really is.

Model # was part of the question.

I assumed that model number was a direct reflection of the length in some way. But this thread shows that I was wrong about that.
2015 Sunset Trail 290RL

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Racefan1
Explorer
Explorer
I have always wondered about the codes attributed to trailers.
Our trailer is a 26RLSS. I think it means 26' rear living room - super slide. But I maybe wrong.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
RichieW wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
A trailers model number and length are independent. My trailer is a 26FWRKS but the outside length is 30'.

Right. That would be like expecting a 747 airplane to be 747 feet long? Model numbers are just that.

Oh come on. That's just not true. The manufacturers are clearly trying to imply length with their model numbers. Although some seem like they want to imply longer than actual, and others want to imply shorter than actual.

Just about every trailer number begins with 2xxx with some 1xxx and 3xxx mixed in. I would bet that there is a very strong correlation between actual box size of a trailer and the first 2 digits of the model number.

The 747 analogy is so far off it can't be anything but a joke.... then again based on the previous conversation who knows.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

RichieW
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
A trailers model number and length are independent. My trailer is a 26FWRKS but the outside length is 30'.

Right. That would be like expecting a 747 airplane to be 747 feet long? Model numbers are just that.

Oh come on. That's just not true. The manufacturers are clearly trying to imply length with their model numbers. Although some seem like they want to imply longer than actual, and others want to imply shorter than actual.

Just about every trailer number begins with 2xxx with some 1xxx and 3xxx mixed in. I would bet that there is a very strong correlation between actual box size of a trailer and the first 2 digits of the model number.
2015 Sunset Trail 290RL

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's whatever number they haven't used before....or whatever pops into their heads. Our ROO 23SS had a box of 20'+ a smidge and bumper to ball was 24'. Our TT is a Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 and....get ready for this!....the box is really 26'4", with bumper to ball right at 30'+. Makes it easy for the sales folks to just take a 26 "something" and consider it 26' when it likely isn't. Maybe back in the day, the number really did mean something, but those days and numbers appear to be long gone.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
I think someone hit on the idea that a lower model number gets a buyer shopping form a smaller unit to take a look at , and hopefully buy, a bigger unit (=more dollars!) may be right on.

I have pondered this topic a bit and looked around. I don't know if this is the definitive answer, but it appears that MFR's who put lower model numbers than the "box" may be referencing square footage of usable living space.