Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TRAILER ROLLED!!!

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I had the scare of my life this past weekend. We got lost on the way to the campground and had an issue filling up the fresh water tank (didn't have the new drain valve installed).

In a hurry, I setup the the Camco Wheel Stop and the stabilizer jacks. (I put the wood under the jacks on the side instead of flat).
On one side or the other I always use at least one of the orange "Lynx Levelers" to level the TT side to side but since it raises the tires off the pavement I do not put a chock under those tires since it would rest against the lynx leveler and not the tire itself.

While relaxing in the TT with my wife and 18mo son, the trailer MOVED SIX FEET!! My F150 was parked at an angle to the trailer so thankfully it stopped us from traveling any further. The trailer had zero damage but the truck had a little more
Thankfully no one was hurt and the truck can be repaired easily. The rest of the weekend went much smoother. It will be a trip we will never forget though!!!

Question for everyone is what DO YOU USE for leveling the trailer left/right and then ALSO CHOCK the wheel on the side that is raised???

Thanks!!
50 REPLIES 50

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy nailed the problem. It is amazing how much the tires shrink as they cool down.

We use those Camco Chocks and I can set them as tight as I can when we first set up and an hour or two later they are finger tight.

If we have to use the Leggo's to level one side we set another block on the ground next to it to hold the wedge chocks, although they don't "bite" on the plastic. If we are on a level spot I may not do this, but if we are on an incline I'll use everything I have on board to lock the wheels.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I do not depend chocks or boards of any kind.
All of those methods can fail.
I had my TT roll many years ago. It was setup with chocks on what appeared to be solid dirt... It rained and that dirt turned into soft mud. The chocks sunk into the mud from the pressure of the tires. The boards under the TJ tilted in the mud and the TT rolled forward collapsing it. Fixing this in a muddy downpour was not fun.

I have seen others have the same thing happen to them in just soft dirt. I have never depended on chocks since that day many years ago.
I now use the strongest and most foolproof system there is.
Gravity.

I dig holes for the high side tires. Once the TT is set into the holes, Gravity makes sure it stays there.

I do use some homemade wood/long bolts to clamp the tires to make it more stable, on occasion. But that is only for comfort, if I'm going to be there awhile.
I have gotten really good at estimating how deep to dig the holes.

And the only thing I need to have is a shovel. It is a handy thing to have in camp anyway.

Obviously, this solution is not for everyone. I do not use established campgrounds with neighbors I can see or hear.

I prefer the solitude of boondocking on public land.

But where this can be used, it works very well. Gravity has never failed me.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soundguy, thanks for the tip on the single wheel chock -- I will check that out!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I just use the rotos between the tires most of the time.
If there is any incline the wedges come out.

Sorry about the dent. ๐Ÿ˜ž still no-one hurt is a good thing ๐Ÿ™‚

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
I never had a problem using Andersen levelers and home brew chocks. Use the chocks on both sides of the trailer.

Andersen if I need to level. Regular chocks if I don't.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I always chock both sides of the trailer. I picked up the anderson levelers and they are nice. I also use the BAL X-chocks as well. Sometimes I don't put those on until night time after the tires shrink, or I re-tighten them at night time after the sun is down and tires are cool. Better to have too much than not enough.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
We have a single axle trailer, so those "between the tires" devices won't help us. And when we use the Lynx Levelers, it is sometimes hard to get a good contact between our rubber chocks and the tire.

Norco has the perfect answer for you as well in their BAL Single Tire Chock ...

... 'cause as the tires cool and shrink you can quickly snug the BALs up again.

I've even used a set on dual axle trailers, chocking one tire on each side of the trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Andersen levelers with their included chocks and I always chock the other side as well
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
How great that no one was hurt! That is the most important thing, by far.

We have a single axle trailer, so those "between the tires" devices won't help us. And when we use the Lynx Levelers, it is sometimes hard to get a good contact between our rubber chocks and the tire. So we almost always add a big rock behind each chock, or else a big piece of wood. That is probably overkill, but I never want to see my trailer move without my express prior permission!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Boins
Explorer
Explorer
Glad everyone is okay!

Anyways, I uses Andersen Camper Levelers on the low side to level left and right. They are super easy to use and so far I've had no issues.

For the other side of the trailer, I just chock the back of the rear tire and the front of the front tire. So far, this has worked fine.

Video on how Anderson Camper Levelers work

Amazon link to Anderson Camper Levelers

EDIT: After reading other posts, I'm gonna add a between the tires chock system to my current setup. Something like the X-Chock Wheel Stabilizers I think.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
In that situation, I would just leave the trailer hooked up to the truck. The truck will keep it from moving.

Good short term over nite idea however in my case on a several day stay the truck pulled a 5er/boat for a double tow so the truck was needed to load and unload the 18' boat at a nearby boat ramp each day..or sometimes twice a day when they were bittin'.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Learn something new every day. They maybe should think about taking the word "chock" out of the name if those are not designed to be used as wheel chocks. That's what I always thought they were for.

Agree completely but you gotta know that's not gonna happen. :R In their defense though Norco does include a note in every box of X-Chocks warning not to rely on these chocks solely as a "parking brake" ... no idea whether the Camco chocks include a similar warning. Maybe it doesn't matter as no one seems to read it anyway, based on the many who claim to use nothing but in-between chocks like the Camco or X-Chocks to secure their trailer. :S Unfortunately the OP found out the hard way that this isn't such a good idea. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I find split firewood makes great chocks.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
gaymeadowsman wrote:
Bigbird65 wrote:
I never had a problem using Andersen levelers and home brew chocks. Use the chocks on both sides of the trailer.

We use this set up also. I also go back after about 3 hours and retighten the chocks after the tire cool down.

People who use the Andersen levelers can greatly benefit by installing 1/4" cords. Sure makes it easier to snatch them out when you are leaving. Also safer.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS