cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Tire Pressure Monitors

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any experience with trailer tire pressure monitors? Looking on amazon they range in price from around $60 up past $300. Any brands seem to be better than the other? Is there a difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones?
35 REPLIES 35

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
dieselbobcat wrote:
TST as well here.... also metal stems... never go without them again... Bought from Vulcan Tire.

Rubber stems can fail from the centripetal forces.

Exactly. Those centripetal forces are triple the force of centrifugal. Itโ€™s a must to change to metal valve stems. While youโ€™re installing make sure there is no radio interference with you fetzer as well.;)

Centripetal forces are equal and opposite to centrifugal forces. And my fetzer works very well, thank you. I am having a problem with my lumber stretcher, though.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
I have TireMinder and the company is good to work with; however, a couple of things:
1. You don't need metal valve stems, some people think you do because of the rotation of the tires will make the stems wobble and cause problems. I haven't had any issues in that regard.
2. TPMS sends signals at intervals, not constant. So if you have an issue like a leak then it will detect it at the next signal sent. With a blowout, the TPMS will not alert you (don't ask how I know) and it is frustrating to depend on the system and not get a signal of a blowout until 30 to 60 seconds after you come to a stop!
3. TireMinder sent me a free booster after I called about two valves not getting a signal. Good company in that regard.
4. When I complained about the blowout and not getting an alert, TireMinder suggested I upgrade to a newer unit at $99, a "special price for a current customer".

Overall, having a TPMS is still a good idea but understand the limitations.

d
I believe the current tire minder systems will alert immediately on a rapid pressure loss. slow loss may take till the next read cycle.

however, no tpms will alarm fast enough if something causes a true blowout not caused by a slow leak, etc. something that causes a catastrophic instant failure with no other symptoms.

It will help warn of an impending blowout caused by a tire slowly loosing pressure and heating up by giving a warning BEFORE temps get to high and pressure to low.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Any of them using the newest battery free technology cars have had for several years? (They work great)
I'd like a set of those with sensors that mount inside the tire.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve had Pressure Pro for years. Iโ€™m satisfied. Theyโ€™ve alerted me to one blowout before any other damage and a couple slow leaks. Canโ€™t really make a comparison since Iโ€™ve never tried the others.
Larry

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
My TST has saved my bacon a couple of times now. Friends have others and they're equally happy.

Here's a write-up with links to products:
http://learntorv.com/how-and-why-to-monitor-tire-pressure/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
I have TireMinder and the company is good to work with; however, a couple of things:
1. You don't need metal valve stems, some people think you do because of the rotation of the tires will make the stems wobble and cause problems. I haven't had any issues in that regard.
2. TPMS sends signals at intervals, not constant. So if you have an issue like a leak then it will detect it at the next signal sent. With a blowout, the TPMS will not alert you (don't ask how I know) and it is frustrating to depend on the system and not get a signal of a blowout until 30 to 60 seconds after you come to a stop!
3. TireMinder sent me a free booster after I called about two valves not getting a signal. Good company in that regard.
4. When I complained about the blowout and not getting an alert, TireMinder suggested I upgrade to a newer unit at $99, a "special price for a current customer".

The TST system will notify you immediately of rapid pressure loss, like a blow-out. You do not need to wait for the next cycle.

As to the valve stems, metal stems are strongly recommended to prevent a rubber stem from cracking. If you call TST, they will tell your metal stems "are not absolutely necessary" but I disagree. I ran rubber stems originally and saw the marks left on my wheels by the sensors hitting the wheel due to flex. 2 of the stems look like they were ready to crack at the base.

Do it right, spend a few extra bucks and put the metal stems on.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
dieselbobcat wrote:
TST as well here.... also metal stems... never go without them again... Bought from Vulcan Tire.

Exactly. Those centripetal forces are triple the force of centrifugal. Itโ€™s a must to change to metal valve stems. While youโ€™re installing make sure there is no radio interference with you fetzer as well.;)

guidry
Explorer
Explorer

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had TST for a few years with some small problems. Went to TireTraker due to the lifetime warrenty and have been very pleased. Do not need the booster even with the 35'MH and toad way in the rear. Never had a sending problem.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
dieselbobcat wrote:

Same here. I have the flow through style.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dieselbobcat
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have two different trailers I tow. Tire minder has a version that lets you have a tow vehicle and select which trailer your towing. makes it easy for me.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
Tire Minder is great. They are located in Florida. I am a 65 year old female and installed them on my travel trailer. My mechanical and technical knowledge is limited. The customer service department at Tire Minder stayed on the phone with me while I installed the monitors. I had them installed in 5 minutes.

If you call Tire Minder, they will tell you which model is recommended for you travel trailer,RV or other vehicle. I love the monitors and the display is easy to see. I wouldn't travel without these on my travel trailer.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
ESDA is just advising you based on his/her experience. You asked!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
bailer6334 wrote:
Just make sure if you install a set you change out the rubber stems for steel.

Is it necessary to change out the valve stems? What is the reason behind that?