cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Tire Pressure Monitors

ESDA
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any experience with trailer tire pressure monitors? Looking on amazon they range in price from around $60 up past $300. Any brands seem to be better than the other? Is there a difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones?
35 REPLIES 35

chrispitude
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco254 wrote:
I'm happy with my Tire Minder unit. Their customer service has got to be next too none.

I am not sure you are saying what you think you are saying. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with my Tire Minder unit. Their customer service has got to be next too none.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Woodtroll wrote:
I am pleased with the most recent version of the TireMinder intended for trailers (TM66). It works well with the included repeater, and it is easy to "unhook" the trailer sensors when you're driving the truck by itself. It reads both pressure and temperature, and refreshes every 5 minutes (?) or so unless you have an issue. However. if you have a fast leak it will alert immediately at any point within the 5-minute cycle.

Keep in mind that tire separation can sometimes happen without losing air pressure (this is one reason people suffer "blowouts with no warning" and think the system didn't work), but usually the temperature will rise as the tire is deteriorating and you may get a warning that way. The downside is that you sometimes get false alarms on the temperature - say, if you pull into a hot parking lot after a long drive and the sun is hitting one side straight on, sometimes the temp on the tires on the sunny side will spike while the tire is still hot from the road and is warmed further by the sun and the hot asphalt.

Like any tool, the more you understand about how it works, and if you pick a good quality one to begin with, you will get more use out of it and learn to understand when it "acts up" what the cause is, then decide if it is something to worry about or not.

I have the TM66 as well, using it on two trailers. your summary is excellent. the ability to connect/disconnect "trailers" is a nice feature.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
I am pleased with the most recent version of the TireMinder intended for trailers (TM66). It works well with the included repeater, and it is easy to "unhook" the trailer sensors when you're driving the truck by itself. It reads both pressure and temperature, and refreshes every 5 minutes (?) or so unless you have an issue. However. if you have a fast leak it will alert immediately at any point within the 5-minute cycle.

Keep in mind that tire separation can sometimes happen without losing air pressure (this is one reason people suffer "blowouts with no warning" and think the system didn't work), but usually the temperature will rise as the tire is deteriorating and you may get a warning that way. The downside is that you sometimes get false alarms on the temperature - say, if you pull into a hot parking lot after a long drive and the sun is hitting one side straight on, sometimes the temp on the tires on the sunny side will spike while the tire is still hot from the road and is warmed further by the sun and the hot asphalt.

Like any tool, the more you understand about how it works, and if you pick a good quality one to begin with, you will get more use out of it and learn to understand when it "acts up" what the cause is, then decide if it is something to worry about or not.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
I am having a problem with my lumber stretcher, though.
Measure twice, cut once.

I cut it just once, but it still isnโ€™t long enough.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I am having a problem with my lumber stretcher, though.
Measure twice, cut once.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ret_usn
Explorer
Explorer
I have tire minder 55C on my travel trailer and when not towing its on my truck. Great unit. I got mine reconditioned and with a booster for 125. Great customer service and the owners manual is written with a little humor. Fun to install. No I do not sell them just am pleased with the unit.
2004 R Vision Trail Lite
2003 F150 Super Crew

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Any of them using the newest battery free technology cars have had for several years? (They work great)
I'd like a set of those with sensors that mount inside the tire.

I am curious what cars have a battery free sensor mounted inside the wheel? Only battery free system I have seen does not have sensors, they use the anti lock brake sensor at each wheel and count tire revolutions compared to the other tire. My Honda has this system but there is no sensor in the wheel. Only asking because I like to keep up with the new stuff and have not heard about this.

As far as TPMS for trailers go I have had the TST system with repeater running for years now and just upgraded to the new color monitor. I use it for the truck since my aftermarket wheels won't take the factory sensors and two trailers. I do recommend metal valve stems because I did have a rubber stem crack on my boat trailer. The only complaint I have is the new monitor has the temp and pressure reversed from the old style monitor so after years of looking at it one way it's backwards now and it takes some getting use to but that's just me I guess.

Our Challenger SRT has them and I would guess that other FCA products have them too. Also my friends Aston Martin is so equipped.

yes, there are a few out but they are AFAIK all using a larger inside the tire mount rather than being able to be used with a valve stem mount.

they use a piezoelectric SAW sensor and rquire a transmitter/reciever placed near each tire. TI has comercical offerings. transmitter/reciever and sensor is an RFID type device.

the nice thing for vehicle mfg is that it is designed to be used with the canbus system in the vehicle and doesn't need a seperate RF transmitter/reciever. so for a mfg it may be less costly than the current systems.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Arcamper wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Any of them using the newest battery free technology cars have had for several years? (They work great)

I am curious what cars have a battery free sensor mounted inside the wheel? Only battery free system I have seen does not have sensors, they use the anti lock brake sensor at each wheel and count tire revolutions compared to the other tire. My Honda has this system but there is no sensor in the wheel. Only asking because I like to keep up with the new stuff and have not heard about this.

As far as TPMS for trailers go I have had the TST system with repeater running for years now and just upgraded to the new color monitor. I use it for the truck since my aftermarket wheels won't take the factory sensors and two trailers. I do recommend metal valve stems because I did have a rubber stem crack on my boat trailer. The only complaint I have is the new monitor has the temp and pressure reversed from the old style monitor so after years of looking at it one way it's backwards now and it takes some getting use to but that's just me I guess.

Our Challenger SRT has them and I would guess that other FCA products have them too. Also my friends Aston Martin is so equipped.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use this this Dill TPMS, I've had it installed for about 5 yrs now and works great. The system came with both a ducky antenna on the display and also a separate external antenna. The external antenna has a strong magnet mount, and I stuck it to the frame inside the LR quarterpanel on the truck. I get a good reliable signal fro all 4 TT tires an no repeater needed.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
guidry wrote:
I have TireMinder and the company is good to work with; however, a couple of things:
1. You don't need metal valve stems, some people think you do because of the rotation of the tires will make the stems wobble and cause problems. I haven't had any issues in that regard.

I also have had the TireMinder system for over 6 years and over 10K miles towing w/o issues not having metal valve stems. I do have the high pressue stems that have the part flexible metal stem and use the metal chrome stem cover on them because of my aluminum wheels. IIRC when I orignally got my system one of the advantages from TM is that the sensors were light enough that metal stems were not required.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

IPegasus
Explorer
Explorer
I have the EEZ tire pressure monitor. Don't install it without also installing the repeater. If the monitor loses communication with any tire sensor it doesn't tell you for one (1) hour. If you are unlucky to have a problem during that time, too bad, it is too late. If you monitor pressure and temperature readings going down the road you will find that they vary on all wheels. The side where the sun is shining on will have a higher temperature and pressure. If you find one that does not vary it has lost communication with the monitor, it just reports the same readings for an hour. Before I installed the repeater there were two times where I had a flat and the monitor said every thing is OK. One was a blow out and the other was a nail in the tire.
2015 Chevrolet 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Reese DC HP, Husky Brute 4500
1999 Wilderness GL 27F