cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Tire Wear

genekiwi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Heartland 26rlss 30 feet long. Dual axle.

On one side of the trailer (passenger side), both tires are wearing on the outside. Both tires are wearing the same.

Drivers side is fine. Both tires are wearing the same with no outside or inside wear.

All four tires have the same thread depth on the inside and middle.

I think I can rule out a bent axle since the tires are wearing the same on both axles.

Friend has a theory that since this tires run on the edge of the road, and if the road has a crown, it might be shifting the weight to the outside of the tire. (Not sure about that theory.)

I thought an alignment might be in order but the nearest place that has the equipment is about 90 miles away.

Dry weight of the trailer is about 5800 and loaded it is about 6300. That is a scale weight. GVWR is 8600. I do not believe that I am overloading the trailer.

Side that has the wear is where the fridge and sink are located. I believe I have the tt evenly loaded side to side.

I have always checked tire pressures and kept them at the correct psi, per the tire sidewall and sticker on the trailer.

The tires have not been balanced.

I plan on buying four new tires before heading north this summer. These tires have about 18,000 to 20,000 miles on them.

Any idea as to why I am getting the wear?

Should I just put the new tires on, have them balanced and watch for the wear?

Thanks for any replies.

I have searched the web but I cannot zone in on this particular problem.
GeneKiwi
2013 Heartland Caliber 26RLSS (Dislike the quality)
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 (Love the truck)
15 REPLIES 15

chipw
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to thank the op for coming back into the thread and posting his results. This doesn't happen enough. Thanks again

genekiwi
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick follow up. The two axles on the right side were out of alignment.

Interesting process to watch. Tech set up a bunch of scales that would show a red light as to where the wheel was out of alignment.

Then he would heat the axle, let the colors go back to normal and then cool it with water. You could see the red light move as the axle moved. Took a couple of the heating and cooling to get the axle aligned.

Cost was $285 including tax.

Just glad it was not a bent axle.
GeneKiwi

genekiwi
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update on where I am at.

Decided to put four new tires on.

Found a shop that does trailer alignments. Having that done on June 4th.

I talked to the tech at the alignment shop and he feels that it is an alignment problem.

Will post an update when it is done.
GeneKiwi

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
I may have missed this, but how old is the RV?

We had abnormal tire wear and found that the bushings and suspension parts were completely worn out, which caused a misalignment. Plus we had one spindle that was bent.

Seems like bent spindles are usually on the passenger side as sharp right hand turns can sometime result in hitting curbs and other obstacles. The axle are seldom bent, but the spindles do take a pounding and that's where the damage occurs.

We had greaseable wetbolts and bushing installed. Ended the tire issues.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

genekiwi
Explorer
Explorer
Dodger 4x4

I have put a lot miles towing. Last year we did a bout 7000 miles and this year about 14,000. Those were the truck miles but even for the trailer just sitting while we went out, the tires do have some mileage on them. We also hauled the trailer from Tenn to Florida.

Thanks all for the comments. I think I will get 4 new tires and drive to NH, about 1500 miles and keep an eye on the wear. If it looks like the tires are not wearing well, I will check out an alignment shop.

I am surprised that two very large RV sellers near me do not do alignments.

Again, thanks all for the comments, they are apprecieated.
GeneKiwi

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
My Heartland had 1 tire wear poorly as delivered from the factory.

I was the 2nd owner and had a good alignment done before delivery. And we had the spare rotated onto the problem spot. 3,000+ miles towing last year and no signs of unusual wear on any of the tires.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the road camber not being an issue. I have a different trailer now, but the same exact model tires on it. I drive the same roads every year while camping. I have zero wear on theses tires. Close to the same miles (10,000) on both trailer tires. JMO nut it's kinda weird that both tires on the same side are wearing differently. Whats the chances of both bad tires being put on the same side? Coincidence? Maybe, but I'm sticking with the misaligned axles theory. Before I plunked down $250.00 for two new tires, I'd take it somewhere that knows how to check things out 1st.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Road crown argument is bogus.

The OP stated the tires are wearing on the outside passenger side. If one draws a little picture of a crowned road and puts a tire on it 90 degrees to the paper one will see the road will hit the inside of the tire, not the outside.

Alignment argument is bogus also. If you wear on one side the tires on the opposite side will wear opposite.

Either going to be junk axels or junk tires; take your pick; I've seen both.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
genekiwi wrote:
I have a Heartland 26rlss 30 feet long. Dual axle.

On one side of the trailer (passenger side), both tires are wearing on the outside. Both tires are wearing the same.

Drivers side is fine. Both tires are wearing the same with no outside or inside wear.

All four tires have the same thread depth on the inside and middle.

I think I can rule out a bent axle since the tires are wearing the same on both axles.

Friend has a theory that since this tires run on the edge of the road, and if the road has a crown, it might be shifting the weight to the outside of the tire. (Not sure about that theory.)

I thought an alignment might be in order but the nearest place that has the equipment is about 90 miles away.

Dry weight of the trailer is about 5800 and loaded it is about 6300. That is a scale weight. GVWR is 8600. I do not believe that I am overloading the trailer.

Side that has the wear is where the fridge and sink are located. I believe I have the tt evenly loaded side to side.

I have always checked tire pressures and kept them at the correct psi, per the tire sidewall and sticker on the trailer.

The tires have not been balanced.

I plan on buying four new tires before heading north this summer. These tires have about 18,000 to 20,000 miles on them.

Any idea as to why I am getting the wear?

Should I just put the new tires on, have them balanced and watch for the wear?

Thanks for any replies.

I have searched the web but I cannot zone in on this particular problem.

The road camber argument is a real one and tractor trailers on long haul trucks see this tire wear often. However unless you have put on significant mileage I don't think thats the cause. I also dont think the overloading is the issue as this would have to have been constant over a long period and never changed.(unlikely).

My guess is that you have a misalighned suspension on that side. Inspect your suspension closely especially the points where your springs are attached and see if those connections are tight and that the bolts that run through the eye of the spring and at the equalizer and the center hanger. Also make sure your U bolt nuts are tight around the axles.

Misaligned axles would tend to show the opposite wear pattern on the other side of the trailer so if you are not seeing unusual wear there it may not ber misalignment, but I would measure it anyway.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had 1 tire do this with the wear being on the inside. I attributed this to a broken belt. Put on a new tire and no abnormal wear. Broken or slipped belt.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
I can speak from experience. Even through most here will tell you that your axles are bent as well as the axle manufacturer. Most likely NOT. I had the same wear on my tires. Checked axle camber,it was perfect. Put on new tires and no more wear. A trailer builder told me that once in a great while, new tires he puts on trailers wears on outside real fast.
Put on new tires and go. Just keep a watch on them as you do anyway.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same exact TT. Same exact tire wear. It was the alignment. Tech guy said the axle material was soft as they bent back into alignment easy. Dealer tried to say it was the tires, but the tire guy (Goodyear Marathons) said that tires don't just wear on one side for no reason. Alignment cost $195.00 total.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How old are the tires? Are you replacing due to the wear or age?
I suggest you have someone drive your combo down the road while you follow to check that it is tracking straight.
+1 for belt issues. Inspect and have the tire store inspect those tires when off the trailer.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Just do as you plan; new tires and observe. Very unlikely the camber is off enough to cause this or you would see the tire leaning out with the naked eye. If the toe was inward you would have wear on outer edges of both sides.

Not at all unusual to have strange wear on TT due to weak or damaged belts inside the tire.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...