cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer tires, radial vs. bias ply

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I can see most travel trailers come with bias ply tires. My brother switched his out for automotive radials and claims they pull better and that he has had none of the issues that he had with bias ply, like chunks of tread falling off and blowouts. Is it safe to put radial car tires on a travel trailer? What about the weight ranges, car/truck vs. travel trailer?
30 REPLIES 30

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to Northern Tool and bought a spare on Saturday. It was a ST205-75D15 rated at 1800 pounds. The tires on the brand new camper right now are ST205-75R15 rated at around 1620 pounds. At least I have a spare now. That should come standard with every trailer for safety reasons. I imagine the wholesale cost that the manufacturer pays to buy in bulk is bloody cheap. Especially compared to the danger and aggravation the customer suffers when a tire blows.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
rbpru wrote:
I think the fact that the RV industry puts over a million ST tires on the road every year pretty much tells you they have optimized the cost to performance issue.

For years the RV industry has used wood behind fiberglass, silicone caulking, plastic bushings in the suspensions, those wonderful tank sensors, tires that barely support the full weight of the trailer, sometimes undersized axles, minimum gauge wiring, inappropriate connectors and housings for exposed environments, etc. They have done this for decades on end.

You would think that just because something came as standard equipment then it must be the most appropriate. Sadly the RV industry does a better job of minimizing costs and maximizing its profitability than it does engineering its units. As most see when they upgrade items themselves, better costs more. There's been companies that have attempted to build better trailers and most have went out of business or been consumed by the big names. It's simply too difficult to build a trailer with better equipment and remain competitive with cheaply constructed units that flood the market. Items that come standard on trailers exist because the item made the most financial sense for the manufacturer. As long as it can survive the warranty period then its good enough for them, tires included.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Many ST tires are still available in bias ply.
http://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-wheels/trailer-tires/14-inch-trailer-tires/st205-75d14-load-range-c-bias-ply-trailer-tire-kenda-loadstar/

Along with ST Radial.
http://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-wheels/trailer-tires/14-inch-trailer-tires/st205-75r14-load-range-c-radial-trailer-tire-kenda-loadstar/

I have had the Kenda K550 bias ply on my small travel trailer for 2 years and no issues.My TT does not see a lot of miles, although I did go from NY to Illinois 2 years ago with no issues.
High milers are likely better off springing for the radials.

Bias ply run a little hotter at highway speeds, but are said to have sturdier sidewalls to resist impact damage.

Radials are said to run cooler at highway speeds and deliver better fuel economy to the tow vehicle. Will generally last more miles than bias ply if you tend to wear them out before you age them out like I do.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
I also do not have an "agenda" is you insinuated. I was merely stating a fact that I read and one that obviously has changed over time.

Sorry, my apologies sir....my "agenda" statement wasn't aimed at you but at those who know how to phrase a question to get a negative answer from any tire maker on this subject. And ignore/dismiss/pooh pooh all other statements on the subject Michelin or any tire maker has said before or after.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
eTrailer and Tire Kingdom have 15 and 16" bias ply trailer tires. It's out on the road if a replacement is needed that concerns me.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
To me it seems the smaller the tire, the more likely to find availability in bias.
Especially in 13 inch rim diameter and smaller.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
My 2016 boat came on a trailer with bias ply tires. U-Haul is going back to bias ply tires. They run a little hotter, don't last as long mileage wise and give a little less fuel mileage, but they're more durable when it comes to catching curbs and pot holes and they're much less squishy which gives better stability. They also don't whip the trailer to pieces with steel belts when they blow at high speed. I go back and forth every time I have to buy trailer tires. I end up with radials due to availability more than anything.

X2 I find bias ply to be more durable also. Bias ply have continuous belts running from bead to bead and thus heavy side walls. Radials have the heavy belts, including steel, fixed onto the tread area only. Thus more likely to separate, fly apart, and cause more damage when they do. Bias are hard to find now though.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 boat came on a trailer with bias ply tires. U-Haul is going back to bias ply tires. They run a little hotter, don't last as long mileage wise and give a little less fuel mileage, but they're more durable when it comes to catching curbs and pot holes and they're much less squishy which gives better stability. They also don't whip the trailer to pieces with steel belts when they blow at high speed. I go back and forth every time I have to buy trailer tires. I end up with radials due to availability more than anything.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
I haven't seen a bias ply tire on any trailer since the 80's.
And there sure haven't been any of them at the RV shows.
But I can tell you from towing with both that the radials have a lot more stick, especially in the wet.

Bias tires were headed out the door in the mid to late 1960's when Michelin started selling radial tires in the US.

I have been riding on radials since the late 60's.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN,

I went back and read the post which I pasted here:

------

Airstream does not buy these tires from Michelin, they buy them from a local tire dealer. I was in contact directly with Michelin two Airstreams back concerning my intended use of Michelins on one of our previous Airstreams. My email reply, from the VP of Marketing was short and sweet. "The Michelin Corporation does not manufacture a tire suitable for use on travel trailers and therefore your use of any Michelin tire on a travel trailer will void any and all warranties from The Michelin Corporation either written or implied".

I put Michelins on, I had Michelins on our next Airsteam and I use them on our 2017 Classic. If there is an issue I am counting on taking care of it ourselves.

-----------

I missed the "two Airstreams back" which indeed dates this notification. You are correct in stating that things have changed.

I also do not have an "agenda" is you insinuated. I was merely stating a fact that I read and one that obviously has changed over time. I do apologize for influencing anyone to avoid these tires.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A member contacted the headquarters and Michelin does not advise using their LT tires on trailers. As a matter of fact they went on to say that doing so will void the warranty. Many continue to claim the benefits of the "stronger" LT tire out weighs the risks. Apparently it remains a popular option regardless of what the factory is saying.

Old old stories from the RV world what Michelin says when asked a certain question such as asking for a LT tire for direct replacement for ST tires on a trailer. This story has been around for years and refuted time and time again. Michelin XPS Ribs are recommended for commercial trailer service. We run these tires on our trailers in commercial service for 50k-70k miles.
Now if you were to ask Michelin like this posters email stating; (snipped for length)

**In regards to the email you sent stating:
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?

Answer..---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,
Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert*** (end of email)

So as we see depending on your agenda we can back Michelin or any LT tire maker into the liability corner with a certain phrased question we can get a not recommended answer.

Or if your looking for the best tire for your trailer that can last 40k-60k miles and 8-10 years of service we can get a positive answer all depending on the question and ones agenda.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may be true that you can (and folks have) run most any tire on a TT but it makes sense to select the tire designed for the job. It is often a matter of improved technology.

I think the fact that the RV industry puts over a million ST tires on the road every year pretty much tells you they have optimized the cost to performance issue.

There may be better options but it is up to the consumer to justify their choice. The TT industry is going to stay with what works.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a thread currently running on the Airstream Forum about using Michelin LT tires on trailers. A member contacted the headquarters and Michelin does not advise using their LT tires on trailers. As a matter of fact they went on to say that doing so will void the warranty. Many continue to claim the benefits of the "stronger" LT tire out weighs the risks. Apparently it remains a popular option regardless of what the factory is saying.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Really you can run any tire on a trailer that you want as long as it meets the weight requirements, but the towing experience can vary. I've seen P metrics on landscape, cargo, and popups that work just fine. These trailers have a pretty low center of gravity and normally not all that heavy. You normally don't run into issues when running passenger tires in those situations. Really if the travel trailer is light enough then you can get away with it just fine.

However, longer high walled travel trailers have much higher center of gravity and greater weights so flex in the P metric sidewalls can induce sway. I'd stick with ST or LT tires for anything with a decent weight.