Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel advice - quick cross country trip

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Next month Sally and I are making a quick (3 week) cross country journey from Tennessee to Washington State. I've worked out a route to see the things I am really interested in - will be moving fast the first few days until we get to SD.

We won't have time to add any big venues or detours onto the journey, but I'm interested to hear from those of you who have done parts of the route if there are little things that are worth dropping in to see for an hour or so on the route. I.e. rather than stop to stretch our legs for 30 minutes at a gas station, why not do the same at some interesting attraction (themed diner / Stone Henge made of cars / lake with a great look-out point, etc. I know we will be passing major destinations in themselves and don't have the time to visit their major attractions, but I would kick myself if later I learned I had driven past some beautiful gorge or amazing attraction a stones throw from our route we could have at least dropped into for a quick look.

Here is the currently planned itinerary:

I40 / I24 through Nashville, St. Louis.
I64 / I70 / I29 through Kansas City, St. Joseph, Omaha, Sioux City, Sioux Falls.
I90 to Badlands.
I90 through Rapid City and 16 to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial.
16 and then 24 up to Devils Tower, then back to I90.
Back onto 16 at Buffalo, Ten Sleep Canyon then possibly 20 and 26 down to Riverton and 26 / 287 to Jackson Lake.
Tour Jackson / Yellowstone for a few days.
191 back up to I90, then 200 and 83 past Swan Lake to West Glacier.
A couple of days in Glacier.
South via Flathead Lake to I90 again.
Follow I90 through Coeur D'Alene and onto 2 after Spokane (just to get off I90 for a bit and maybe camp by Banks Lake)
Back to I90 before crossing the Columbia River.
South on I82 at Ellensburg and west on 12 maybe having a quick look at mt Ranier and ideally drive up to Johnston Ridge Observatory get a good view of Mt St. Helens.

Any suggestions of nice state parks or dispersed camp locations along the route would be great too.

Thanks for any ideas in advance - not expecting anyone to bust a gut trying to put together a list, just if you happen to have stayed or visited somewhere along the route and thought "hey, that motorcycle museum was amazing" or something similar, would appreciate a heads-up.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
49 REPLIES 49

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks guys - all good advice - I shall look over my maps again.

Thanks,

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
x2 for Needles highway (Better than Crazy horse) and I really liked city of Deadwood
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a very interesting trip and lots of fun. I have a hard time with crowds and you will already be in the thick of them while in Jackson/Yellowstone. Yellowstone is tough to see in two days but if you are truly sight-seeing from the vehicle you will hit the high points (Jenny Lake, Tetons, geysers, paint pots, etc.). I am always amazed at how folks pass by Central Idaho by taking I-90 or I-86/84.

If scenery is what you are after consider taking US 20 out of West Yellowstone, through Idaho Falls, bearing west (still on US 20) while crossing the high desert to Arco, ID. There is an interesting nuclear reactor landmark that is open after Memorial Day just before Arco. It is the first breeder reactor and the first reactor to power a community. The tour is brief, worth it and free. A bit farther down this road past Arco is Craters of the Moon N.M. Craters is like being in the middle of the lava fields of Hawaii without the heat. The lava beds are endless and stretch beyond the horizon. If you are into geology you will dig it ; ) if not, it won't take long and you'll be on your way. Backtrack 20 miles to Arco.

At Arco go north onto US 93 and make the run up the valley. There are stunning views of Idaho's highest peaks and plenty of places to camp or boondock. Just after McKay (pronounced mackee) there is an outstanding RV campground on the reservoir and it is clean, new, BLM and inexpensive with great views. Weekdays always have empty spots and the surrounding landscape is surreal. This would be a fantastic halfway point between Yellowstone and Glacier.

At Challis, ID you can take a short 45 mile detour west to visit Stanley and see the Sawtooths (they rival the Tetons IMO). There are so many opportunities to camp along the Salmon River you are literally only five miles away from a riverside spot to spend the night. Go north through through the quaint town of Salmon and continue into Montana accessing I-90 once more and hitting Glacier if you want. I know Glacier is a serious draw but the vehicle tour there is pretty compressed -- it is best appreciated on foot and you won't have the time for that. Going to the Sun Road is hair raising fun to drive but it is over too soon and the chance of being clouded out is high. Not that I don't love Glacier but multiple days in a vehicle?

Most folks want to save time after spending it in Yellowstone, but if you want variety and outstanding scenery this route will pay big dividends. If you tire of the crush of people in Yellowstone get out early and find the solitude you want in Central Idaho. Oh, I almost forgot... there is a restored Victorian era mansion in Hamilton, MT that is fun to tour, just off 93. I forget the name but all you'd have to do is stop and ask about it and you'll get pointed in the right direction.

I know that going this route is a longshot but maybe someone else reading this will be tempted and try it. In any case, go to it and have a great time!
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will start going opposite direction in couple of weeks, but I have no return date.
(wife hopes it will be September).
But I think I have some Gypsy blood in my veins, as planning is not turning me on.
Made cross continent trip with motorhome 20 years ago and even I had 5 weeks for it - it was drive, drive, drive. When I knew to go to Yellowstone, Devils Tower, MT Rushmore, few things like Crazy Horse Monument, the 12,000' elevation in Colorado and Moon Lake in CA were very nice surprise and great becouse it was surprise.
On other trip years ago I "drove into" Lake Powell and revisited 5 times already, regardless 2 days of driving from my previous house.
So enjoy your trip and don't spend nights at the papers and computers.
There is moon out there.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
And yes, Yellowstone is definitely worth a few days.

:B
Sage Advice, but I would suggest 3 months in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. But, I might be a bit biased'

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

LabMan1945
Explorer II
Explorer II
LabMan1945 wrote:

I would also recommend the Minuteman Missile Historic Site along I90 east of Wall SD.

I may have to visit that site. I was at Malmstrom AFB courtesy of Uncle Sam from 1968 until 1972. We babysat a couple of hundred Minute Man Missiles and it would be fun to reminisce a bit.

Bill

In addition to the new visitor's center you can go on line and sign up for a tour of the underground command center as well as go to another location and see a missile in the silo. Excellent presentations and an interesting piece of history during the cold war. HIGHLY recommended.
Grant
Dodge 3500 CTD.
Northstar 850SC
Constant companions - Scoter and Skye - Black Labs (better than most people)

NGaMountains
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if you are starting too far west, but if you can spend any time in Chattanooga, the Coker Tire Museum has an amazing set of auto artifacts and stories. Tours are free, you just need to sign up. We got a personal tour through there with a guide and about five or six other people, so plenty of opportunity to see things, ask questions, etc. 90 minutes is about what it takes. Have fun!

https://www.cokertire.com/tours/
2017 Ford F-350 4WD Super Cab 6.2L Gas DRW
2014 Bigfoot 25C10.4

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Amanas in Easter Iowa, great food/brewery/wineries/shops. I still would recommend Wall Drug and Corn Palace in SD, you have to see each once, we really enjoyed it.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you like fly fishing or just great scenery. Awesome NF campgrounds just off I 90 at Rock Creek. Little east of Missoula MT. Just east of Clinton.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
If this is a round trip, cancel everything. It will take you at least 4 hard days to make it cross country. That does not leave any time to site see and still spend any time in Washington.

Yeah maybe they should sell the camper too!
Are you Walter Matthau or Jack Lemmon?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

realter
Explorer
Explorer
An earlier poster said to cross the river in Omaha, and see the trains. You'll see the newer one many times traveling cross country, you just can't touch them along the RR tracks. Save yourself the hassle of getting lost in Omaha, and stay on I 29.

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
LabMan1945 wrote:
I would also recommend the Minuteman Missile Historic Site along I90 east of Wall SD.

I may have to visit that site. I was at Malmstrom AFB courtesy of Uncle Sam from 1968 until 1972. We babysat a couple of hundred Minute Man Missiles and it would be fun to reminisce a bit.

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

realter
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Don't spend more than 5 minutes in Wall Drug and 10 minutes in the Corn Palace, unless you like tourist junk.

Don't even bother going inside the Corn Palace. Just drive around the block, everything is on the outside. 5 minutes off I90.

Wall drug is quite interesting, good stop for a break driving from the river to the hills.

Enjoy my home state. I didn't appreciate it growing up there.

If you take this route, check out the John Deere museum in Moline. The Loess Hills in Iowa will be on your right all the way up I-29, and there should be some good places to stop along through there. The Union Pacific railroad museum in Council Bluffs, Iowa is worth a side trip.

LabMan1945
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also recommend the Minuteman Missile Historic Site along I90 east of Wall SD. Also i have camped on the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands north of the Badlands on the Way to Wall. Look for places on the right as you head north. One place is near a cell tower. Quiet, secluded and on the edge of the Park.
Have a great trip.
Grant
Dodge 3500 CTD.
Northstar 850SC
Constant companions - Scoter and Skye - Black Labs (better than most people)

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Approach Banks Lake from the south. Take Hwy 155 off of Hwy 2. That stretch of highway is known as Million Dollar Mile. It's all nature and I won't spoil it for you with a description.
Stay at Steamboat Rock State Park.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats