cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer Insurance

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
My son just bought a used travel trailer and asked about insurance. Since I have always owned a motorhome I couldn’t advise him. The trailer was cheap so he isn’t interested in comprehensive coverage just liability.

Him and I both are insured by USAA which doesn’t offer Rv insurance so what advice should I give him. Thanks for any help.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
19 REPLIES 19

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
ajriding wrote:
You can insure anything....
No need to insure a trailer as most likely your auto insurance will cover the towed vehicle.

A general umbrella policy might be as cheap as $300 per year and give you a million in coverage, which as it sounds, covers everything in your life like an umbrella. The exception is sexual crimes and possibly crimes you purposely committed. This would cover damages your trailer made as well as anything you might get sued for in your daily life. Many variables in different policies, but this is the way to go to protect yourself if you have any assets a lawsuit could come after.

Umbrella policy for potentially needing a little liability coverage? Maybe, if the OPs son is worth enough to make an umbrella worthwhile. But it is not even on the top 10 list of how to get cheap liability on an old cheap RV.
Although some people rely on insuring everything they own or could be liable for 6 ways from Sunday, so they can sleep better at night.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
hpdrver wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will have my son callUSAA to check on liability coverage and then Pogressive for comprehensive.

Thought he didn’t want comp?
Now would be a good time to read your existing policies.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Lwiddis wrote:
"No need to insure a trailer as most likely your auto insurance will cover the towed vehicle."

Most likely?

For liability reasons while towing? Yup most likely. Thanks for playing.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"No need to insure a trailer as most likely your auto insurance will cover the towed vehicle."

Most likely?

many will cover while hooked up and towed. once unhooked off your property, no insurance, either comp, collision, or Liability. Liability is IMHO the big issue. If someone is injured and claims it was your fault when the fell off the steps etc. with liability the insurance Company handles it. And the cost is minimal. On our trailer (state farm) liability (300K), property damage ($100K) and collision is a whopping $90/year with a $2K deductible. and the umbrella policy extends the liability to $2M.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I will have my son callUSAA to check on liability coverage and then Pogressive for comprehensive.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it is being towed the tow vehicles coverage covers it too.

For when it is parked I just used the same company (State Farm) and the same agent that I have had for everything else for the last 40 years or so.

It is not very expensive.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
APT wrote:
Umbrella for liability only or ask if liability is included when connected to the tow vehicle and driving down the roads.

If you are going this route, get it in writing what is covered.

Verbal confirmation can quickly be forgotten.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I insured my 2007 toy hauler. I bought it for $8k. Insurance through Progressive was $138 per year. Safeco was $131. Trailer was stolen, insurance paid more than I paid. For about $11 a month it was well worth the protection.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Umbrella for liability only or ask if liability is included when connected to the tow vehicle and driving down the roads.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dedmiston
It always seems rude to me when someone says "read the manual" (even though I write manuals for a living), but in this case, you really need to sit down and read the policy. The language and exclusions are different for different carriers, so you really do need to read yours to find out what's covered.

It won't be covered for theft, fire, collision, etc., but your primary auto policy might cover it for liability.

Also, check out your umbrella policy (if you have one) and see if there's any coverage there.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have Progressive on both of our rigs, we called USAA this past summer for a new to us Class A we purchased, they switched our call over to Progressive. Great rates similar to USAA, our home and cars remain insured with USAA.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II

Most likely?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can insure anything....
No need to insure a trailer as most likely your auto insurance will cover the towed vehicle.

A general umbrella policy might be as cheap as $300 per year and give you a million in coverage, which as it sounds, covers everything in your life like an umbrella. The exception is sexual crimes and possibly crimes you purposely committed. This would cover damages your trailer made as well as anything you might get sued for in your daily life. Many variables in different policies, but this is the way to go to protect yourself if you have any assets a lawsuit could come after.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I've had two TTs insured through Progressive.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator