cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer License Plate Necessary?

MuirheadFam
Explorer
Explorer
The state we live in does not require a license plate to be displayed on a travel trailer. We have it registered and have a plate inside the camper. We are camping in other states this summer - CO, KS, AR, MO, NM, TX. We are wondering if those states require the plate to be installed on the travel trailer?
36 REPLIES 36

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
buta4 wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
I think some one is pulling some ones leg!

Guy

I agree. No one could be that dumb to think that an issued license plate does not have to be displayed. He's trolling, lol.

Yea, it's been a couple days. Now I want to know why someone would make a "troll" post about license plates! lol, I understand (in a humorous way) trolling about camping at Walmart, hitches, campfires, generator use, etc... but about license plates?

Yeah...but they got 4 pages out of it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
OP is gone.
l

โ€œElvis has left the the building.โ€
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
buta4 wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:

Guy

I agree. No one could be that dumb to think that an issued license plate does not have to be displayed. He's trolling, lol.

Yea, it's been a couple days. Now I want to know why someone would make a "troll" post about license plates! lol, I understand (in a humorous way) trolling about camping at Walmart, hitches, campfires, generator use, etc... but about license plates?

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
That may be. I googled this and could only find VA that issues a one-time plate to the owner. OP could return but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, Virginia does issue a permanent trailer plate, but it still must be attached to the outside of the trailer.

I have a permanent plate on my trailer. If I keep my trailer 3 years, then I'm slightly ahead $ wise. Fourth year and forward, it's all gravy.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:

Guy

Ray

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Not to come to the defense of the OP but, I seem to remember a little know regulation here in CA that exempts trailers under 13" in length from registration.

It seems unlikely but it was in a post regarding Teardrops. My point being, it is possible and therefore LEOs are not that inclined to just stop someone for maybes.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
A quick call to law enforcement should answer any questions.

I learned a long time ago to never ever ask LEO for legal advice. They are not trained in the law.

WRT MI plates, I have a park model that does not require a plate, as it never travels on the road. to move it, I would be required as a minimum to get a temp plate. My travel trailer has a lifetime plate on it.

Tinting is an interesting discussion in MI. I had a discussion several times with law enforcement on tinting. Tinting for all practical purposes is illegal in MI... and remember my comment about asking LEO for legal advice??? Every single cop I've ever had this conversation with has stated they will write a ticket to an out of state vehicle with tinted windows. HOWEVER, the published state law specifically EXCLUDES vehicles NOT registered in MI.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
While the OP is long gone and likely had no actual interest in this to begin with, ..
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
2oldman wrote:
yes they do
That would be my guess. It's well established that you you have to obey all driving laws when in another state. Only your drivers license has reciprocity.

The subject of reciprocity has had a lot of discussion on another board that I frequennt.

The concept of drivers license reciprocity is well understood but equipment is a big question.

I have traveled all over the US and settled on the idea that, when it comes to equipment, that I have to comply with the regs of the state that I am in.

Some dissagree with me. They are claiming that reciprocity extends to equipment as well.

Neither of us has been able to find documentation to back up our view.

Can you point me to any material that speaks to the subject?

Thanks.

S.

I agree it is a grey area. From what I have gathered, reciprocity applies to drivers licenses for sure. It does NOT apply to things like overall length, towing doubles, window tinting, what is on front windows.

I believe it does apply to registration and insurance requirements as well as license plate location and plate requirements.

I just go by common sense. In another state what would be expected that I follow, speed limits, lane useage, traffic rules, length and weight etc. vs. what I really don't have control over.

Then there are laws that I wish were country wide vs. state. Example some states allow a left turn on red if both streets are one way, others don't.

Some states allow U turn unless no U turn sign is up. Other states don't allow a U turn unless a sign says U turn permitted.

These and some others would be nice to be consistent across the country, rather than trying guess what the law is.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
2oldman wrote:
yes they do
That would be my guess. It's well established that you you have to obey all driving laws when in another state. Only your drivers license has reciprocity.

While the OP is long gone and likely had no actual interest in this to begin with, I will say, for those who are beginning to consider other implications (ie - tinting, etc...), it's not quite as clear as this post implies.

Many states, for example, only issue one license plate to be mounted on the rear of the vehicle. If you drive that vehicle into a state that requires two, you don't have to put a second plate on your car (in fact, you don't have a second one to put on).

Again, this has nothing to do with the OP, but there clearly are some things where reciprocity applies and some that don't, and it goes beyond the driver's license. If you are worried about a particular issue, research that issue, don't assume any generalities apply either way.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avoid John Law and hang your plate.
I spent the weekend with two ex CHP officers.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This year we had tinting added to a front window for a AZ car.

1. It never occurred to me that the front window tinting could be a problem in some states.

2. Both of our cars have tinted side/back windows from the factory. While once a no no I didn't give it a second thought.

3.The installer of the front window tinting indicated that it should only come down to the marks on the window and suggested ours should extent about 1.5" below the marks. So apparently I could have a AZ violation.

Fun fun
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
PNW_Steve wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
2oldman wrote:
yes they do

The subject of reciprocity has had a lot of discussion on another board that I frequennt.

The concept of drivers license reciprocity is well understood but equipment is a big question.

I have traveled all over the US and settled on the idea that, when it comes to equipment, that I have to comply with the regs of the state that I am in.

Some dissagree with me. They are claiming that reciprocity extends to equipment as well.

Neither of us has been able to find documentation to back up our view.

Can you point me to any material that speaks to the subject?

Thanks.

S.
Equipment reciprocity is likely a very murky area. This article gives an example of tinted windows. But apparently only a few states are involved in the agreement and no national agreement.

Traffic violations such as speeding might be different, but I've always thought that a violation would reflect on your home state likely including insurance.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman