cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer

keppyrr
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at buying a travel trailer. Of course one of the issues is outside storage. Has anyone found a manufacturer that has a storage unit that clamps on to the rear bumper and has a trailing wheel/wheels to support the load?? Please provide who may offer something like this.
13 REPLIES 13

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
the_happiestcamper wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Many of the wheeled add-on units are limited by their manufacturers to motorhome or fifth wheel trailers only- can't think of any that are sold for adding to bumper-pull trailers.

I agree - but then I looked at the Idaho Tote above. It does not attach to the bumper, it welds to the frame. According to their web site, they can be used on TT.

The only language on the subject I see at their website refers to "motorcoach, fifth wheel, or camper"...I read "camper as truckcamper rather than bumper pull trailer.

I guess the O.P. could call and ask them- if he/she ever comes back! We seem more interested that that mysterious person is...:@
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Many of the wheeled add-on units are limited by their manufacturers to motorhome or fifth wheel trailers only- can't think of any that are sold for adding to bumper-pull trailers.

I agree - but then I looked at the Idaho Tote above. It does not attach to the bumper, it welds to the frame. According to their web site, they can be used on TT.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
What extra are you looking to carry? Those swivel wheels are for 5th wheels.

How about a toy hauler?

If small items how about a tongue box and maybe small boxes on top of the rear bumper (see modmyrv.com).

Adding weight to the rear takes weight off the tongue and quickly becomes a handling problem.

Greatest exterior storage in a travel trailer is generally a bunkhouse without a slide in the bunk house and without an outside kitchen. Some models are better than others. Wildwood/Salem used to make a travel trailer with a queen bed in the bunk house, the entire thing was exterior storage.

Some exterior kitchen models are availabe without the kitchen making that entire space exterior storage.

Springdale makes this model with pass-thru storage under the double bed as well as the rear wall garage. Probably as much exterior storage as you will find in a travel trailer. "http://www.keystonerv.com/springdale/#/floorplans"

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What's wrong with towing with a pickup? I miss mine.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The simplest fix would be to have a rear hitch receiver attached to the TT's frame, then use a hitch mounted cargo rack, making sure to use skid wheels.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a while back somebody posted about a unit that mounted at the front over the V of the frame, maybe a trailer shelf or something like that.
bumpy

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Most rear bumpers on TTs are not designed to carry 100 pounds of bikes and a spare tire. THat's why someone called it a sewer hose carrier: it's light duty.

My TT has this slide out rear bumper/rack. It says it can handle 200 pounds, which is probably about right as I've stood on it. I did not find it very useful when I towed with a pickup, but now it's very valuable since we tow with an SUV.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
How about one of the toyhauler TT with the small compartment about the size of a couple of bicycles.

There are many designs on the market that provide large storage compartments or garage areas that can be converted into bunks or living space once you arrive at a campsite.

I don't like add ons... they come with their own set of problems.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might check-in with something like this.... I think this is called a IDAHO TOTE...

These are mounted to a beefed up frame connection - not the bumpers...

This may not be considered a TRAILER in the eyes of the law if it less than three feet in length. This is attached to the rear of the trailer and does not use a tow hitch. The two rear wheels handle the weight of what is on the tote and swivels when the RV turns...

This kind of towing TOWING may be against the law in some states... Unlike some laws in this case it may be legal in some states and not others and not be reciprocity..

They also make a single swival wheel TOTE....

ALL PHOTOS here from GOOGLE IMAGES - not mine... I don't own one...

Food for thought - Please check with local laws for using one of these... These are going to be expensive I think...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
That would never be a part of the original design of any trailer. it would HAVE to be an aftermarket item and in MANY situations would be considered unsafe. Rear bumpers on travel trailers are not designed to carry much of any load and a spare tire is about their limit. Doesn't mean some folks don't put more ON them but often even bike racks are found laying along the road from them pulling the rear bumper off. It would be MUCH better to find a trailer that has the load carrying capacity you NEED within it's own frame. That way all components would be engineered to handle those loads.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you asking if anyone has used the sewer hose carrier to transport stuff? Yea a few have. Most have regretted it. The sewer hose carrier is just not strong enough to support any load.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...
What are you trying to carry that would need this set up? What you are proposing sounds like you are almost wanting to 'double tow' which is not legal in many states.

Over the years we have learned to travel light and simplify. It's more relaxing that way (for us). If it can't fit in the bed of the truck or in the existing storage compartments then we don't need to bring it along.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro