cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report : Adventure Overland UK 2014

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
September sees Britain's Adventure Overland show return. This is a bit like Overland Expo, though it lacks the formal training courses. Being this is Europe the make-up of vehicles is a bit different to the US. It was again held at the horse racing course at Stratford upon Avon.

Last year Sally didn't want to come, so I went on my own, but this year Sally decided to come along, as did our friends Paul and Deborah, who brought their Land Rover Discovery with Australian fold-out awning and attached tent.

Paul purchased a wood-fired heater to cook on and warm us in the cool September evenings:

We went for a quick walk around the show Friday evening to start looking at the other attendees vehicles:

The show hosts a number of very interesting talks from travellers - this was a talk from my friend Toby:

Saturday morning was good weather and more attendees had turned up late evening:

A few interesting ex-military trailers had been converted for camping with the addition of roof tents:

On a Land Rover chassis:

I guess this isn't removable, so is basically a class-c built on a compact pick-up truck:

Pinzgauers - would make an interesting overland camper:

Sally excited by finding ex-military clothing for sale:

A Swiss guy purchased this ex-military Land Rover ambulance, repainted it (to avoid the risk of looking military, which can cause problems travelling in some parts of the world) and was evolving the interior into a camper - trying it out, moving things about, trying it again:

This nice couple also had a Land Rover ambulance, but with a raised roof and more conversion work done inside. They had already travelled around the world in their previous Land Rover, and this was their new camper for their next adventure:

Sally talking to this lady who is planning to take her autistic daughter on a journey through Africa on a Ural motorbike and side car. These are pretty capable vehicles since both rear wheels are driven:

David and Jayne spent several years touring around the planet in their Land Rover and have just had a new Alucab aluminium roof fitted - the same type of roof we used on a Land Cruiser in South Africa earlier this year:

Nice European-built truck camper Chris and Rachel are admiring - looks pretty solid:

Has a little bathroom in it too:

Fiona and Adrian with their recently acquired VW Amorak pick-up truck and camper:

Some bought smaller campers than others:

and some bought larger:

and of course the old Camel Trophy Land Rovers turned up:

as did some old Russian trucks - many of these became available from Eastern Germany when the iron curtain came down:

A Tiger - a very rare beast over here:

A cold and clear evening:

Our entry permitted us to stay Friday to Monday, but Sally wanted a shower and some electric hookup so she could run the electric heater, so we moved onto a small campground closer to Birmingham

A very well appointed campground. Notice the drive-up dump station - though a closer look shows that you can still only dump grey water here - to dump black water you need to use a cassette toilet and carry the cassette around the back of the bathroom complex to dump - not reachable by vehicle:

And the reason for staying another night instead of going directly home? This year Land Rover finish production of the classic 'Defender' model - the real Land Rover - produced since 1948. It's hand-built, labour-intensive, riveted aluminium, separate chassis and body construction will be no more. In its place Land Rover will produce a modern vehicle that complies with modern safety and environmental rules, allowing it to once again be sold in the US.

In the mean time a few chances remained to tour the old production facilities and watch the last few Land Rovers being built in the same location in the same way as they have for 67 years.

Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take photos of the current production line. There won't be any trade secrets on this highly manual production line. I suspect this is more to do with health and safety and not disrupting employees. But we were allowed to take photos in a small museum area in the factory:

Sally has a go on a side-slope simulator:

The tour was very good and it will be very interesting to see what the replacement Land Rover finally looks like - so far all everyone has seen has been speculation. But it was very good to see the traditional Land Rover being built, and the manufacturing methods necessary for producing a vehicle based upon a 1940s design underlined the need for Land Rover to redesign the vehicle.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
10 REPLIES 10

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments.

Just picking up on a few of them...

Rickw: Yes, we were very lucky with weather - as we were last year and the year before. Overland Expo seem to be having a real spell of bad luck with their weather ๐Ÿ˜ž

Diplostrat: Your friends with the Tiger have certainly got around - very impressive. That Tiger has really worked well for them, and I notice it has almost exactly the same dimensions as my truck camper, which must certainly have made travelling in the UK easier.

trailgranny50: Yes, TCs seem to have got heavier over the years (unless you are talking about the small pop-ups from FWC and the like). I was looking at a 2012 Lance brochure recently (I liberated it from btggraphix' house) - there was nothing remotely as light as our Shadow Cruiser available (or at least as light as the claimed dry weight of 1400 lbs - whether that is accurate or not). And you can pretty much guarantee that living in the UK and travelling around Europe, I NEVER get to see another Shadow Cruiser.

Vinsil: A friend has a Land Cruiser 100 in Australia equipped for overlanding - I've driven it in the dunes and it is a very good vehicle. The Land Rovers are iconic and Sally is lusting after a 100 county station wagon. I can't justify one though - would be well over twice the cost of my Jeep TJ for something older and with more corrosion (and less fun).

RobertRyan: Well spotted - that is indeed the trailer. I assumed it was home built. They are a really good solution I think. In the UK you can get some heavy duty ex-military trailers of that size and fitting a roof tent above them really makes sense if you are someone who wants to go off road, but maybe makes camp for several nights at each location, exploring in the 4x4.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Interesting as always. Thanks for sharing!

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, that " ex Miltary Trailer" looks like a Patriot Camper Trailer from here. No they are normal RV Camper trailers

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
So interesting to see how you RV across the pond. Thanks for the pics and I've always loved and lusted after a "real" Land Rover, a Defender 90.

Had a few Land Cruisers that we loved, looking at a 100 series for a overland setup.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice post, thanks.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, so tickled to see your Shadow Cruiser in your report. We have 90 9.5. Last of mods and improvements/updates finished just this past weekend. Does my heart good to see one here and there. Have only seen two besides ours on the road and folks in next little town over have a short bed version. We liked that the weight was less than newer ones of all makes. Great report!
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Interesting rigs for sure...
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
You certainly had better weather than we had at either Overland Expo this year.

The Tiger you photographed, "La Tortuga", belongs to friends of ours, Rick and Kathy Howe. At last check it has been to some 55 countries. You can read more here: Travelin Tortuga
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I like your Adventure Overland much better than our Overland Expo-especially this year!

And a great job of interacting and reporting.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really interesting! Thanks for posting all the pictures!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375