cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WFCO WF-8900 Not Charging

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Puma 23FB TT; returning to Myrtle Beach after a 12k, 146 night trip to Alaska...

Everything has been going fine. Drove 250 miles this afternoon and arrived at the campsite for the night. Only have 30 amp electric tonight; lowered electric jack while still plugged into SUV - ok; plugged in power cord (I have the Progessive Industry's 30 Amp Surge Protector w/ digital remote.) 124 Volts, no error messages.

Tried to lower the Lippert Electric stabilizer jacks - nothing... Went inside TT...tried turning on interior lights - nothing... ALL 120 v outlets working; MW working; TV with cable working... ALL 12 v appliances not working; Unplugged power cord and reconnected hoping to "reset" - nothing... no change...

Checked all circuit breakers and fuses - all good and intact.

Battery dead...WFCO battery charger NOT charging...

What are my options? What can I do?
8 REPLIES 8

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad it was an easy fix.

You got really lucky to find the one good Camping World. 😄
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

JohnG4706
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I took the trailer to CW in Roanoke and they assigned Glenn, their top tech. I was concerned about losing food in the frig/freezer if I didn't get it back working ASAP.

Glenn found that when I put a 1/2" shim for my ProPride jacks, I had pinched and shorted out the umbilical cord. (The ProPride is designed to go on a 2 1/2" frame; I have a 2" frame and the jacks were rotating to about a 45 degree angle. I didn't see the cord when I reinstalled the "U" bolt around the frame.)

Glenn found that I had blown a 40 amp fuse block in a 4x4 electric box under the trailer. (all of the fuses and circuit breakers inside the TT were intact.) He taped, rerouted and repaired the cord and I was back in business. Total time about 1 hr 15 min.

For as many negatives I've heard about CW, the Roanoke facility, and in particular Glenn, were First Class.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a fuse or wiring issue. It is unlikely the converter would die and the battery would go flat while towing at the same exact time.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about others but on my TT the jack is powered by it's own wire and fuse connected directly to the battery. Everything else is powered by a different wire and fuse connected to the DC distribution panel. Also, there are some high amp fuses located right on the converter that might be the problem.

I would think total loss of all DC would be fairly easy to track down with a good meter.

I also doubt the battery is dead. More likely a fuse or connection.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
First get a multi-meter, take some readings and find out if you have 12 volt power. If not then the easy route is pull the battery and take it to Autozone or the equivalent and have it tested. If the battery is good but dead, then you can start looking at why it is not charging.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A portable 10+ amp automatic battery charger will do fine to get you through the trip.

Not much good to say about WFCO except it is the low cost option of replacement.
www.bestconverter.com/8935MBA-Main-Board-Assembly-For-8935

I recommend the 30 amp IOTA with IQ controller
www.bestconverter.com/DLS-30-30-Amp-Power-Converter-wIQ4

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds to me that the electric jack got it's power from the Tow Vehicle, and that the time driving did not charge the batteries at all... or... the battery is actually charged, but the battery power is not running to the 12 volt panel (more likely).

If you know your battery is good, but still nothing works.. then...

The way to really check this is to use your jumper cables and a short piece of wire. Put the short piece of wire into the negative of the 12 volt panel, and connect the jumper cable from the other end of the short piece to the negative terminal of the battery. Did it work?

If it did not work, put the short piece of wire into the positive side of the 12 volt panel and connect the jumper from the other end of the short wire to the positive side of the battery.

Most likely, one or the other will fix it and you will know where to look from that. If neither seems to, hook up both sides of the panel to both sides of the battery.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics converter would be my suggestion.
Have you checked the inline fuse or circuit breaker, the one close to the battery? If it failed, you won't get any battery output or input. Also, the converter is powered through a 120V circuit breaker. Make sure that is cycled and not tripping. Your WFCO may have two fuses on the exterior that protect it from over current and reverse polarity, another thing to check.

Do you have a handheld meter?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton