cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report-Memorial Day in Oregon-pics fixed

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
So figured I'd start a new thread on this. Took a ton of pics but doing this from my phone so bear with my spelling and grammar! Our destination was Michell Oregon, Prineville and camping in the Ochoco's. Now we like to do what I call adventure camping. No camp sites reserved just explore the hills and find a cool spot with nobody around and no artificial light from others to ruin the experience. This is not for the nervous or for the heavy planners out there! But this is the number one reason for us to own a truck camper! I take it down roads I wouldn't dream of taking other RV's.

So here we go!

Here we are heading up Hwy 22 next to Detroit Lake. It's full this year which is nice!

I love my trucks computer. It is the very definition of optimism. You keep on with your dreams truck!

I didn't take any more until here. Right before Mitchell was this old building. I love stuff like this.

Here is our first destination. My boys are rock hounds so we wanted to treat them to the experience of "mining" for Oregon thunder eggs. This mine, Lucky Strike is ran by a mother, daughter and her husband. They daughter and husband are on site and live at the mine during the season. I love this not drawn to scale provided. Be forewarned, it really is 13 more of an old logging road but the views up to the mine we amazing!

Watch for the branches. They will provide custom pin stripes at no extra charge! Might not show up in the pic but should buff out.

Here is the view from the actual mine. Breath taking and....my father in law hunts down in that valley. Found my new hunting spot, last year they pulled a 7 point non typical out of there.

So we mined out some thunder eggs and the fun part, cutting them open to see what you get!

Here are a few we found, very cool! To note, not our cans in the fire. Pack in, pack out.

Now we left the mine (VERY nice and helpful people!) and drove down the old logging road to find this incredible camp site for the night. So peaceful and we found some very nice and dry cedar to burn, the smell was amazing!

We left the next morning and made notes of our little secret camp spot (we always do so we can return) and we to hike the painted hills. Now, I always wanted to go here and it was amazing but so full of tourists I'd recommend going during the middle of the week and never on a holiday weekend. But it was worth the crowds.

Next we went into the huge town of Mitchell (insert sarcasm here) and had a fantastic lunch of chicken wings made by some guy in a little old rv trailer. Hey...he had a flag that said COLD BEER, so shady looking or not he had my attention! Food was wonderful!

So we set off after a day of hikes and sight seeing in search of our next camping spot. We wandered over near Walton Lake and headed up a dirt road with the simple numbers of 050 on a marker. I saw a Law Enforcement Forest Rnager and stopped to ask if the road had any primitive camp spots. He said, "I've only been up that road race in my life but I am sure you can find something." Music to my ears.

We found this beautiful spot near a creek in a meadow. Lots of wild horses in this area and lots of fresh sign near the creek. Bingo!!!

My attempt at a night shot showing our games by the camp fire.

My wife took an amazing panaramic shot of this camp spot but it's on her phone. I'll post it later on but I think it is poster quality!

So, we left met up with my inlaws in Prineville got to see my FIL's new diesel pusher motorhome (wow....it's nice!) and then headed home. Caught some slow traffic in and outside of Sisters on Hwy 126 but decided to take Hwy 20 home to avoid Hwy 22 and all the traffic. It was a wise move, no traffic and saw some trails we are going to hike next weekend. Oh and as for my super optimistic computer, I hand calculated to 11.2 mpg for the trip. Not bad....

2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.
34 REPLIES 34

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
thanks for the trip report. Isn't a TC so much better than setting up a bunch of tents for the fam?! will have to keep those places in mind when we head up to OR with the masses next month thanks for the locations:)

one question: what is your overall impression of the Fox landing so far? How does it hold up on the dirt roads?

We love the fox landing. It was one thing we bought as an option and even though it is very expensive for what it is, we are extremely happy and it has held up great so far offroad. Being designed and built by Torklift I expect it to continue to hold up for years to come. One thing I really like....makes a great spot to take off shoes and store them as you the floor space is limited! It is also great for towing the trailer, no jack knife set to get In the camper anymore!

Tents...yikes! I don't think I do them anymore.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
My kind of camping. Sure wish we had more of that here on the East Coast. Makes waiting for retirement that much harder.

Thanks for sharing the great experience.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
thanks for the trip report. Isn't a TC so much better than setting up a bunch of tents for the fam?! will have to keep those places in mind when we head up to OR with the masses next month thanks for the locations:)

one question: what is your overall impression of the Fox landing so far? How does it hold up on the dirt roads?
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Really cool to see young families enjoying the outdoors away from tv and all the distractions of suburbia. You're making memories they'll cherish forever and hopefully pass along to their kids. Countless others, including myself continue to recreate in the great outdoors thanks to my parents "dragging" us out to play in the forest when we we're pups.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome pics and looks like a great trip. Making lasting family memories is what this TC obsession should be about. Thanks for sharing.
12 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity - named E-Pod
05 GMC 3500 SRW Crew Cab LB
10 Bass Cat Puma w/ 250 Mercury ProXS

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6
13 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS Class B
13 Tioga Montara 25K Class C
09 Lance 915 Truck Camper

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
We left the next morning and made notes of our little secret camp spot (we always do so we can return) and we to hike the painted hills. Now, I always wanted to go here and it was amazing but so full of tourists I'd recommend going during the middle of the week and never on a holiday weekend. But it was worth the crowds.

Prior to moving back to CO from OR, we made the trip to John Day Fossil Beds: Painted Hills Unit. We went there in the summer and were there during the week. Your suspicions are correct... we saw two sets of people the entire time we were there. I was completely shocked at the lack of people in a National Park... but also happy. That place is very memorable.

You can also go through the Sheep Rock Unit and north to the High School, leave a donation and dig for leaf fossils on the school grounds in a specific area. Then, head over to one of the many orchards near there and pick cherries or other summer fruits for a very reasonable cost. Then stick your feet in the John Day River and relax.

Great place!

We will do that next time, thanks for the tip! I want to go back and not be around the crowds.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:

Prior to moving back to CO from OR, we made the trip to John Day Fossil Beds: Painted Hills Unit. We went there in the summer and were there during the week. Your suspicions are correct... we saw two sets of people the entire time we were there. I was completely shocked at the lack of people in a National Park... but also happy. That place is very memorable.

You can also go through the Sheep Rock Unit and north to the High School, leave a donation and dig for leaf fossils on the school grounds in a specific area. Then, head over to one of the many orchards near there and pick cherries or other summer fruits for a very reasonable cost. Then stick your feet in the John Day River and relax.

Great place!
I love me some land yachting

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Very nice trip you took and I like those thunder eggs
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

pcoplin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here in Oregon (where we have an abundance of trees if you've ever been), it's legal to burn downed wood that you gather in the forest. So for something that may close camps down in the desert part of the US that you live in, here it's more than okay. If you like spending $6 for a bundle of wood that should really cost 25 cents, by all means, go buy some. It probably came from here, along with your christmas tree.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
kayakin wrote:
You need to enter that panorama photo and the one with the campfire and camper lights in Truck Camper Magazine's calendar contest.

Thanks! I didn't think they are that good, just an iphone.

kayakin
Explorer
Explorer
You need to enter that panorama photo and the one with the campfire and camper lights in Truck Camper Magazine's calendar contest.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, it's our favorite way to camp! I used postimage.org, seemed simple and easy to use.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great TR!!! Oregon is also one of my favorites and it's close!!! I like the way you travel. I tried to turn in to a campground once but my truck refused!! Which photo place did you end up going to?
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
Thanks, we do love our state. It sucks that the politics and Portland are ruining it though. I fear in the next twenty years, we will be just like California. I'll be retired at that point and we are considering a move to Northern Idaho. Taxes are killer here now....

I hear you there! I plan to retire in about 20 years and will likely be moving somewhere else as well. If anything, certainly away from the Portland area at least.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR