cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ok, trying again from different angle

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thank you all again for your help in getting me off the ground.

I'm starting with this trailer:

Nash 23D:

http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-23d-2/

with these specs:

Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) – Lbs.: 7000

What is the minimum size truck you would recommend to safely and securely tow this vehicle? I realize more is better, but would a half ton be adequate? Is there a half ton Ram 1500 crew cab that has adequate towing and payload capacity for this trailer, with 4 passengers and usual camping stuff in the truck or in the trailer? Or possibly even 6 passengers (note: we are a lightweight family... adults under 300# total and 2 young kids, who will grow, but they're not going to be giants... judging by our size).

I have given up on towing this with a Durango despite its advertised 7200 lb towing capacity, after you'all have educated me about payload, tongue weight, etc.
11 REPLIES 11

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
Spoon,

Sounds like rvshrinker has the tt picked it and is trying to make sure they buy a truck that is capable of towing the Nash. So can't load the tv up to see how much payload is left.

D'uh... good call, don't know how I missed that!!!:o
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes properly equipped 1/2 ton truck can tow that
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
don't give up on the Durango quite yet. what is the actual weight of the RV, NOT the GVWR? you don't need to fill it to capacity.
bumpy

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Properly equipped half ton should work well. Besides whichever model's heavy duty towing package, find something with enough payload for 800 pounds of TW, yourself any anyone else in thew cab, and about 200 pounds of stuff you'll throw in the bed. As mentioned, Ram 1500 seems to have the lowest when equipped with about the same level of equipment, but it may be plenty for your needs. The Hemi and 8-spd make a great combo!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Get the half ton. Like Grit Dog explained, there are many upgrades available. Also, advice from the experts on here to help you spend your money. Or, get a 250/2500 series pickup and enjoy your trailer towing experience. You will have a litt3/4le extra capacity, just in case.

We don't get many folks on here asking about removing leaf springs or putting passenger car tires on their three quarter ton pickups, but we do get a lot the other way around.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Spoon,

Sounds like rvshrinker has the tt picked it and is trying to make sure they buy a truck that is capable of towing the Nash. So can't load the tv up to see how much payload is left.

RVshrinker,

In case you aren't aware (sounds like you are though), the weight of all passengers, any cargo in the truck bed (coolers, bikes, etc), any accessories added to the truck (tonneau cover/truck cap, step bars, bed liner, etc), the wdh, AND the tt tw all count toward the payload of the tv.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed an older Nash 22H with my Tundra and it was a GREAT match. Total weight was about 6500 lbs loaded, with about 850 lbs of tongue weight. With my wife, me and my young daughter at the time we had enough payload for the trailer, us and gear in the bed of the truck.

Your most important number that you are missing is your TONGUE WEIGHT. You need to knw your tongue weight and your available payload. For available payload, load your truck up like you would to camp... family and gear int he bed that you would carry, full tank of gas, etc. Take it to a scale and subtract your "ready to camp" weight from your GVWR. That is your AVAILABLE payload.

If your tongue weight is below (or reasonably close) to your available payload, you are good to go. Any of the modern half ton trucks have plenty of engine and transmission for those weights.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Properly equipped 1500/150 should do based on gvwr. Just watch what you load in the truck bed: no ton of firewood for example.

Biggest thing to do is look in the drivers door jamb of every truck you look at before moving it to the short list. See what the yellow sticker states payload is for that truck, and go from there. As an estimate you probably want at least 15-1600lbs of available payload per the yellow sticker, the more the better!

Good luck shopping!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm towing about the same weight (6,500 lbs. loaded) with my Tundra without a problem, and I also carry a couple of folding bikes, a blue tote, Weber grill and my tool box in the bed. If you go with a half ton truck, just be sure it has LT tires.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dry weight and CCC will help a lot.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes any well equipped newer half ton can safely and comfortably tow a 7klb or less TT.
And again, if the rear of the truck is a little light on suspension, there's about a dozen different products to safely stiffen up the rear springs some that are not too expensive and easily installed.
Hey man, idk if you're near Seattle, but if you are, I got a 28', well 32' with the vee nose enclosed tandem Sno machine trailer sitting here at about 6klbs loaded. Would be a good simulation of your size trailer. If you need to give a trailer a pull with the vehicle of your choice to see how it handles it, let me know.

And I think Rams are all lightly sprung in the rear, but it's not like the truck is any smaller or weaker or more prone to break with a modest load/tongue weight then one that comes with heavy duty springs. And the Hemi or the EcoD would pull it adequately.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold