cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: Rocky Mountain High in CO and WY

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
We recently had a very enjoyable two-week vacation in CO and WY, and I would like to share the pictures and adventures with you!

I had been looking forward to my grand-daughter getting old enough to introduce to the joys of RV travel, and this was the year for her first long trip. She had been on a weekend outing with us a year or so ago, and really enjoyed it.

We were driving from Little Rock, and had two weeks off. My son's family was driving from Tulsa, and they had a week off. We made plans for them to rent an RV in CO, and we met in Colorado Springs on a Monday, and then set off together to see the sights. The RV had to be returned on the following Saturday, so we were going to stay in the southern part of CO.

This was our planned route in CO:

They left Tulsa on Saturday, and head west on 412 through the OK panhandle.

We left Little Rock on Saturday morning, and drove though Tulsa so we could visit my people for a few hours, then head up towards Kansas on some slower roads.

We made it to Osage Hills State Park near Bartlesville, OK and decided to stop for the night.

Whenever we go through Kansas, we like to seek out some of the quirky places that are off the beaten path so whenever we hear someone complaining about โ€œHow flat and boring Kansas isโ€ we can ask them โ€œReally? Have you seen..........โ€ Kansas has some beautiful hand-quarried stone churches in several of the little prairie towns. There's the Big Well in Greensburg which is also the town that was literally wiped off the map by a tornado in 2007 and is rebuilding and implementing a โ€œtotally greenโ€ initiative, Big Brutus (a giant coal mining shovel) in West Mineral, the world's largest outdoor municipal concrete swimming pool in Garden City, etc.

This time, we wanted to see the โ€œWheat Jesusโ€ and โ€œThe Worlds Largest Easelโ€. What the....???

I kid you not.

โ€œWheat Jesusโ€ is a billboard in Colby, KS raised by a local couple to spread a message of...........โ€œItโ€™s a silent message,โ€ said one of the key people behind the sign. โ€œItโ€™s something very special to my wife and I. To me, itโ€™s one of those things that were so positive in my life......My idea, people can look at that and they can make up their own mind,โ€ he said of the message the billboard sends. โ€œThey donโ€™t have to be told.โ€ He was right, we didn't have to be told.

Wheat Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! That's some tall wheat he's standing in!

The Worlds Largest Easel is in Goodland, and you need to actually get off of I-70 to really appreciate it. It's an 80' tall reproduction of a Van Gogh painting, and is described as โ€œa celebration of art and agricultureโ€. Kansas used to grow a lot of sunflower seeds.

We arrived in Colorado Springs Sunday evening. We were planning on spending the night at Cheyenne Mountain State Park, but they were full so we found a spot at a private CG called Golden Eagle.

Nice sunrise.

We had a few hours to kill Monday morning before we could pick up the rental RV, so we went to Garden of the Gods.

The boss's cat (Kahlua) and GD (Gabrielle) getting reacquainted. Kahlua is about 15 years old, and has forgotten how much fun small children can be. She tries to discourage them by hissing a lot whenever they invade her zone of comfort.

She eventually decided that Gabby was tolerable enough to sit by while we took a tram tour around the park. It was raining off and on, so we were at least able to stay dry while we looked around.

photo 0718-13GardenOfGodsa.jpg

After picking up the RV, we head out towards the Cripple Creek/Victor area to go on a mine tour and ride a narrow-gauge train!

The Molly Kathleen Mine.

Getting hard-hats and jackets before we descend 1000' into the mine.

They aren't kidding. You will be seriously punished!

Down in the mine.

Our tour guide. She's a real hard-rock miner who loves to blow stuff up. My kinda gal!

Ancient โ€œmuckingโ€ machine.

Air drills.

Looking up one of the vertical shafts.

Underground workshop.

Old mining structure.

Chipmunk on a feeder.

The town of Cripple Creek.

After the mine tour, we drove down into town to take a short ride on their narrow-gauge train.

Mine tailings from old mines.

One of the trains.

After our train ride, we started the long drive to Mesa Verde. This would be our only long driving day (thank goodness!) We drove over Wolf Creek Pass.

We made it to Mancos that evening, and spent the night at Ancient Cedars RV Resort outside of Mesa Verde NP. The next morning we went over to the Visitors Center as soon as it opened to get tickets. The tours sell out quickly. Ours would be after lunch.

We went back to the campground, went to the playground for a while, had lunch, and then head back over to the park.

The drive from the park entrance to our first tour site is about 45 minutes. We stop to enjoy the views along the way. That's the Montezuma Valley below us.

Hold still Gabby! I'm taking a pano-shot!

Sign describing the difficulties in building the first road.

Our first tour is of Balcony House. The ranger stressed that there will be ladders to climb and narrow passages to squirm through. Oh boy!

Everyone made it to the top OK.

It looks worse from this angle!

Balcony House ruins.

One of the many Kiva's at Mesa Verde. These were used for religious rituals.

Milling stones.

Ranger explaining the kiva and how it was used.

Balcony House pano-shot.

Happy vacationers!

We're supposed to fit through that?

Gabby had no trouble with the passageway.

I had to fold myself up a little to squeeze in.

Thank goodness those Puebloans put the chain and fencing here. This would be really dangerous otherwise!

Ruins on the other side of the canyon.

Our next tour was Cliff Palace. Looking down on it before the tour.

Our groups ranger talking before the tour.

Notice how every space is exploited. Even the โ€œatticโ€ area!

The towers in Cliff Palace are very impressive.

Cliff Palace can get hot in the afternoon sun.

Some ancient art is still visible on the walls of this dwelling.

Farewell to Mesa Verde!

After leaving Mesa Verde, we head towards Durango, and then continued on the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton.

We stopped at Molas Pass to enjoy the view.

This road has a lot of switch-backs!

Tunnel!

The town of Silverton.

A great picture of two trains.

After enjoying lunch and the shopping in Silverton, we drive on to Ourey.

Holding down the bench while the girls shop.

We stopped for the night at Monarch Park FS Campground, just below Monarch Pass.

One of the tributaries of the Arkansas River runs through the campground.

Taking a walk.

Our campsite. Lots of trees have been killed by Mountain Pine Beetles. Dead trees in campgrounds are cut down for safety.

Making s'mores over a fire. Kids have to learn this stuff!

Sharing a seat.

That was about it for the week. It went by too fast, but that seems to be the case when you're spending time with family, especially grand-kids. I think Gabby enjoyed the trip, and I'm looking forward to doing it again!

The next day we started heading towards Colorado Springs, making stops to get the rental RV ready to turn back in. We said our good-bye's near Salida, and the boss and I turned north towards Grand Lake and Rocky Mountain NP.

I'll add the second week of our vacation later. We do some hiking in RMNP, drive up to Laramie, WY where we spend a few days at Vedauwoo FS campground, then drive the Snowy Range Scenic Byway through the Medicine Bow Mtns.

It was a great trip!

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!
30 REPLIES 30

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
Great report, thanks!
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Excellent!

Matho
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the trip report.
2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip report, I think you will like Rocky Mtn. NP.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks....great trip
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice pictures, and a great family trip. But you can keep that 1000 feet underground stuff. (besides, I'd never make it all the way)
Cal

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic trip report!! Thanks for sharing.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Memories that will last a life-time for that young lady. Kudos to you and the boss for helping her make them. Not to mention the enjoyment of all of us here to share them vicariously.
Great pics, and many thanks for sharing.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

work2fish
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip, lots of things we share in common in terms of finding interesting spots in the flatlands and in ensuring that the kids spend time outdoors. Thanks for sharing!
2011 Ford F-350, KR, 6.7L, 4X4, SRW, short bed
2007 Northstar 850SC truck camper
2002 Lund Fisherman 1700 w/ Suzuki DF140

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
You crammed a lot of fun into Week One. Thanks for sharing it. I eagerly await Week Two; the Snowy Mountains are on my bucket list.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing and love the photos. Yes, grandkids are great to go camping with.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
We have also made that drive. We really enjoyed Mesa Verde. The scenery all around is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Shame on you for making me ache to return. lol

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the 2nd half of the trip! We'll be spending some time in RMNP and S Wyoming this fall, so your photos are particularly interesting. ๐Ÿ™‚
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like somebody is a GREAT grandfather taking the time and having fun with the kids.

Looks like it was a great trip. Thanks for posting the pics. It brought back a lot of memories.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride