cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report Skyline Drive

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
We took off a few days, loaded up the TC and trailered the Tiger {Adventure Bike} out to Elkton Va. We set up base camp with the truck camper right on the Shenandoah River. The camp was on private Property, fellow ADV rider. Each day we rode out on the Tiger 200-300 miles into the mountains of west virginia/western virginia.

We did Skyline drive from rt 33 to rt 211 would have done more but the rain set in for good, so we played it safe that day and headed back to base camp.

The next day we headed over to West Va and made our way via rt33 over the mountains. Found a great cavern "Seneca Caverns and Seneca Rock" From there we ran threw Smoke Hole and back to camp. Here are a few photos. Just another reason we love our Lance. Go anywhere!! And take your******wth you!!

camp

smoke hole road

Skyline Drive

Seneca Cavern/Rocks

As you could see we were fighting rain alot.
"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, Its about learning how to Dance In The Rain!"
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

16 REPLIES 16

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
Of course!
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, but did you do any fishing?:B
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

Rettrooper
Explorer
Explorer
Most excellent photos!
2013 Eagle Cap 1160
2006 Ford F-350 SD CC Diesel

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Nice!!!
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the pictures and weather report. We were supposed to go this week and rescheduled due to the rain forecast. Looking forward to visiting the area.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
It was still raining at Seneca Rocks yesterday as we came through on Hwy 33. We camped in Luray, VA and quickly realized Skyline is one busy road on the weekend. Great during the week though. Lots of fog and rain for us as well.
Great photos, thanks for posting.

We rode Rt33 from SLD to Seneca Rock. How did you like crossing the 3-4 mountains in the TC? We did it all on the Tiger, not sure I would braved them in the Truck and camper...LOL!!!!

We were up on SLD Friday morning early before the rain got to bad.
Not much traffic that early, but we did notice all of the campgrounds up on the mountain were no vacancy.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
It was still raining at Seneca Rocks yesterday as we came through on Hwy 33. We camped in Luray, VA and quickly realized Skyline is one busy road on the weekend. Great during the week though. Lots of fog and rain for us as well.
Great photos, thanks for posting.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip report. Good photos you took. Thanks for sharing.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good report. Thanks.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
Nice,thank you

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I saw Elvis at Seneca Rock a few years ago (70's Elvis, not 50's). Besides Harper's General Store, there's not much else but great roads and scenery. Plenty of awesome fire roads for riding an adventure bike. You can get as hard core as you want or just cruise along. Great area. Elvis was on a KLR and was wearing a velvet Camelbak. I laughed in my helmet for an hour.
Nice pics.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice rig, nice toad, nice pics, nice time.

Thanks for sharing.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
My hand started twitching and I started looking for my fly rod, waders and float tube with those river pics. Very nice , Thanks
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags