cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Bed Crown

MLD
Explorer
Explorer
How do you compensate for the crown in the newer truckโ€™s beds when loading your camper?
10 REPLIES 10

MLD
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
MLD wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
This has been brought up a couple times before. Newer GM truck?
Folks have "shimmed" the front and rear with thinner plywood under a bed mat.
I haven't had every model of GM, but 2 different 2016s, a 1500 and 2500, bed was flat as well as my 2020 1500. Maybe this is only a thing on long beds? Mine have all been shortbeds.

Shimming the back with additional pieces of bed mat is what I had in mind but just wanted to hear others ideas. If you put a straightedge flat on the front and middle of the bed there is a 3/8โ€ to 1/2โ€ gap at the back.

This is what I did to my 2015 GMC 3500 dually, I placed a 1/2โ€ thick rubber mat across the rear of my truck bed. I believe it was about 20โ€ wide, it got rid of the rocking/movement. If you donโ€™t do the shim the bed sheet metal will crack from the flexing.

Thatโ€™s what Iโ€™ll go with then, thanks!

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
MLD wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I haven't had every model of GM, but 2 different 2016s, a 1500 and 2500, bed was flat as well as my 2020 1500. Maybe this is only a thing on long beds? Mine have all been shortbeds.

Shimming the back with additional pieces of bed mat is what I had in mind but just wanted to hear others ideas. If you put a straightedge flat on the front and middle of the bed there is a 3/8โ€ to 1/2โ€ gap at the back.

This is what I did to my 2015 GMC 3500 dually, I placed a 1/2โ€ thick rubber mat across the rear of my truck bed. I believe it was about 20โ€ wide, it got rid of the rocking/movement. If you donโ€™t do the shim the bed sheet metal will crack from the flexing.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
My 15 2500 short was crowned and used 1/4ply 12" x 48" front and back. Can't see it straightened out with camper on, just breaking camper back...
Ply worked nice.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

MLD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

MLD
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
What make, model and year of the truck?

2018 Sierra 3500 DRW longbed

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I would thing that the crown is designed to handle larger payloads and gets flatter as you load up the truck. just have to buy a heavy enough caper to make it flat I guess..

serioulsy though, I have never seen a pickup truck with a crown designed into it, just highway class 8 trailers and some real long car haulter type trailers you pull behind your 1 ton. if there was a crown in my bed, I would be taking it in under warenty.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What make, model and year of the truck?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MLD
Explorer
Explorer
I was more concerned about stress to the truck bed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
After the camper is loaded, is there an issue? Rocking for instance?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad