cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper Clear Coat, can this be restored?

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

As I prepare to start using my new to me camper I'm curious about the exterior clear coat? It's a 2002 Arctic Fox 990. It looks like it has dulled in areas and is really dirty. I've buffed cars before with various abrasive compounds to effectively restore luster. Is this possible for the camper? I would probably just start with a foam pad and some mechanical wax, and then maybe cut deeper with a fine-grit compound if that didn't work. Can't see myself getting into the wool pad, seems like they maybe coated these thin, not like vehicles which seem to be more forgiving. The decals on this are all faded and withered as well so I'll remove those and try and create a level of uniformity with its finish.

Insight is appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
My Lance has responded well to using the meguiars and the DA, and the areas that I have done have come back to "like"new condition. Of course it did nothing for the decals/stickers they are still faded and cracked.

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
I went to Harbor freight and got their cheap DA polisher, with foam pad, (they have about 3 or 4 grades of polishing pads) and I use M0416 from Meguiar's compound, I probably should be using their RV and Marines products, but had the MO 416 on hand.
Both my TT and the Lance have the same fiberglass side walls and with some work they can look like new again.
The Lance when I bought it was neglected and I am sure never had been polished/waxed, honestly I'm not sure it was ever washed.

I have a Dewalt polisher, all levels of pads and 8 bottles of various compounds/waxes. I'm comfortable with doing it, just didn't know if the surface was appropriate for this type of re-finish. It will take a long time, but oh well.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
When you talk about shining/polishing fiberglass RVs from motorhomes to truck campers there is a pretty long standing idea of using "ZEP" I believe its the floor polish. My son in law told me about it, he wants to use it. If you look it up on Youtube, you can see a few videos where guys have put this ZEP on (coated) the RV and in the videos it doesn't look bad, however it is floor polish and it seem that eventually you will want to remove the polish and that looks to be a huge chore, check out ALL the videos before jumping on that idea.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Harbor freight and got their cheap DA polisher, with foam pad, (they have about 3 or 4 grades of polishing pads) and I use M0416 from Meguiar's compound, I probably should be using their RV and Marines products, but had the MO 416 on hand.
Both my TT and the Lance have the same fiberglass side walls and with some work they can look like new again.
The Lance when I bought it was neglected and I am sure never had been polished/waxed, honestly I'm not sure it was ever washed.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
My 23 year old Filon roof chalks up and causes white streaks to run down the sides. I've been using Mop 'n Glow every spring with some success. This year I cleaned the entire roof with TSP and put 2 coats on Mop 'n Glow. No white streaks yet.

Filon is available in 8 and 12 foot wide rolls. You might consider the time efficiency of replacing vs. buffing and waxing.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thump the side with your finger. Fiberglas sounds and feels different. Yea thats it frilon.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
You can test it. Simply thumping it with your finger should tell you. As a final answer call Northwood with the units serial number and ask them.

A 2002 AF truck camper is wood framed.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
Does Northwood use fiberglas or the textured plastic? I thought it was thr plastic stuff.

They use Filon

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
presh223 wrote:
Hi All,

As I prepare to start using my new to me camper I'm curious about the exterior clear coat? It's a 2002 Arctic Fox 990.

Fiberglass (filon) sided RVs don't have a clear coat.
They will oxidize just like a fiberglass boat will, but it has to have major sun exposure for it to happen.

I have a 9 year old Arctic Fox 811 (bought November of 2009) and it still looks new on the outside.

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Again Im pretty sure it is a texturized plastic material not fiberglas. I know for a fact my 2002 AF TT was on a wood frame.
You can test it. Simply thumping it with your finger should tell you. As a final answer call Northwood with the units serial number and ask them.

Can you elaborate on the finger test, how does that tell me anything If I don't inherently know the characteristics of the materials and how they should respond? Like your TT, it is a wood frame. If it is indeed textured plastic are you stating it would be a fruitless venture to mechanically polish, and just stick with a wash? Thanks in advance.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV Gel-gloss works really well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again Im pretty sure it is a texturized plastic material not fiberglas. I know for a fact my 2002 AF TT was on a wood frame.

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
I am doing the same thing with my new to me 2002 Lance 1130, Its pretty dull and faded. I got one side just about done, but its really something I do not like doing any more.
When I was younger I could hang on to a polisher for a lot longer time than I can these days.
It is coming along slow but sure, eventually I will get the whole thing polished up.

Which compound/pad setup worked best for your lance?

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Does Northwood use fiberglas or the textured plastic? I thought it was thr plastic stuff. If so you will nwver get a high shine.

I've read on an earlier post fiberglass, but I don't know. Someone will chime in hopefully.