cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper generator oil type/Built in or small portable.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
What oil are you guys using in your generators that you use with your truck camper?

I have been using Honda oil in mine but it is hard to find if you don't have a nearby dealer..I used Onan oil in my Onan gens and I had to buy it by the case to have it on hand in the places I lived..

So what is a good oil that meets all the spec's of a small portable generator that we use for our truck campers that is equal to Honda or Onan oil and does it have to be 4-cycle oil?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
23 REPLIES 23

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Mobile One synthetic in my Honda 2000

X2
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fwiw, Honda and Onan aren't oil companies so their oil, just like other rebranded products aren't special, but rather marketing and profit opportunities.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amsoil.com/p/10w-30-synthetic-small-engine-oil-ase/

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mobile One synthetic in my Honda 2000
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I changed my oil from dinosaur to synthetic. My Onan got much quieter. As little as it needs, Iโ€™d always use very good synthetic.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To prove itโ€™s not rocket surgery, I recently inherited a contractor air compressor from a roofer who left it behind and never came back for it.
Checked oil. Was like tar. Drain for a while and not lot coming out. Filled w new oil ran a while to get it hot. Drain refill , have run about 10 tanks of gas thru it since then. Purrs like a kitten....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Of course it has to be 4 stroke oil. Why would you consider 2 cycle oil?
Short answer, basically any engine oil is fine.
Splash lube engines arenโ€™t picky.
We have thousands of small engines ( construction) that basically never or rarely get oil changes and they run for years, or the equivalent of a lifetime for weekenders.
Personal preference, I run 15w40, whatever is on sale in virtually every 4s motor small to large. Small engines get oil changed every 1-3 years depending on use.
Greatly simplifies oil stock and selection.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Motor oils with today's technology are like androids.
What was top of the line 2 years ago, is dinosaur today.
Check the generator manual for recommended weight and any of modern oil will do.
Since I am using synthetics in my cars, that is what goes to my generator as well.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your generator manual should tell you the API rating and viscosity needed for your engine. Any oil that meets the viscosity grade and API rating will be acceptable. My personal brand preference for gas engines is Castrol.