cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck - family of 5 and 65lb dog

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm in the very early stages of considering a truck to get ahead of our next trailer...I'm generally a buy once cry once kind of person so looking at Ram 3500, Ford F350, or GMC 3500. However, in test driving these and looking at the back seat I struggle to see how I'm getting 3 kids and a 65lb dog in there...?

What have other people done who are in the same situation?

(FYI - not interested in a class A)

Thankn you.
59 REPLIES 59

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timmo! wrote:
One of the best things i did when we first bought our trailer was to experience first hand what goes on inside the TT. A 20 minute ride (with wifey behind the wheel) on one of the Death Valley dirt roads was like an E-Ticket Disney ride.

Being a native born Cali boy, I've experienced many earthquakes, but nothing like went on inside my 21' TT rolling down a smooth dirt road. IMO, the noise alone would be enough to cause a docile guard dog to become an over anxious foo foo lap dog.

I bet your wife was LOL as you got tossed around in the TT.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
What are the ages of your kids? What kind of trips are you talking, 1-2 hour max or cross country? As great as my kids are, being able to put space between them proves invaluable at timesโ€ฆlike when doing 3000 mile winter/spring break trips.

I now only have two that canโ€™t keep their hands to themselves, but I have four that now fight for leg room.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Timmo! wrote:
One of the best things i did when we first bought our trailer was to experience first hand what goes on inside the TT. A 20 minute ride (with wifey behind the wheel) on one of the Death Valley dirt roads was like an E-Ticket Disney ride.

Being a native born Cali boy, I've experienced many earthquakes, but nothing like went on inside my 21' TT rolling down a smooth dirt road. IMO, the noise alone would be enough to cause a docile guard dog to become an over anxious foo foo lap dog.

The next best thing you could do is realize that not all RVs are like your apparent rattle trap.
This is almost laughable. Sure there are things that squeak and creak. Namely dishes and household items.
If itโ€™s unreasonable to put even a pet in a reasonable condition (riding in a RV) then how do they sell sooooo many motorhomes?
Please do not confuse this with actual concerns like throwing fluffy the shitzerdoodle in the camper, no air ,locking the door and taking off across Death Valley in June ( or Washington State as may be the case currently).
To be fair, Iโ€™ve only ridden in TCs and a couple old motorhomes, so I look forward to seeing whether your statement is a gross exaggeration , when it comes to our trailer, now, but I have a hunchโ€ฆ.

I share real life experiences. What exactly are you sharing? Speculative thoughts?
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Timmo! wrote:

The next best thing you could do is realize that not all RVs are like your apparent rattle trap.
This is almost laughable. Sure there are things that squeak and creak. Namely dishes and household items.
If itโ€™s unreasonable to put even a pet in a reasonable condition (riding in a RV) then how do they sell sooooo many motorhomes?
Please do not confuse this with actual concerns like throwing fluffy the shitzerdoodle in the camper, no air ,locking the door and taking off across Death Valley in June ( or Washington State as may be the case currently).
To be fair, Iโ€™ve only ridden in TCs and a couple old motorhomes, so I look forward to seeing whether your statement is a gross exaggeration , when it comes to our trailer, now, but I have a hunchโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry pic didn't work.

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
No Problem. Don't worry about it. We have been camping for years with a 70lb Golden Doodle and a Shi Tzu. The doodle rides in the back with three kids, the Tzu in the front with us. The doodle just lays on the floor and sleeps, Unless there is food! 2012 Ram 3500 dually long bed.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Raife wrote:
However, in test driving these and looking at the back seat I struggle to see how I'm getting 3 kids and a 65lb dog in there...?

A family on Youtube with a channel name Keep Your Daydream is full timing. For at least two years they traveled with 3 kids and a big dog.

Their adventure started here
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Put the Wife in the back with the kids, dog up front"

Now yer talkin!

When we started out with our first 24' 5er our TV was a standard cab C20. Two adults and two kids around 10 squished into the front seat.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Raife wrote:
So I'm in the very early stages of considering a truck to get ahead of our next trailer...I'm generally a buy once cry once kind of person so looking at Ram 3500, Ford F350, or GMC 3500. However, in test driving these and looking at the back seat I struggle to see how I'm getting 3 kids and a 65lb dog in there...?

What have other people done who are in the same situation?

(FYI - not interested in a class A)

Thankn you.

Put the Wife in the back with the kids, dog up front
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I don't know how big the behind the seats is in a Mega cab. We have a regular cab, no kids. I can't see to drive with my 70 lb dog in the passenger seat so if she wants to go she knows she must ride behind the seat. Not a issue for her.

Iโ€™d like to see you stuff your 70lb dog , or any dog behind the seat of a reg cab truck. Unless by behind the seat, you mean also behind the rear window, in the truck bedโ€ฆ

When my truck was new ('05 Dodge) 1 of the ads pictured 3 5-gallon buckets in the space behind the seat. When she first came to live with us, I would tilt driver seat back forward, pick her up and put her back there. After a couple of lifts she would try to go that way on her own. Now I just leave the center section folded down. Open the door, she jumps in. I might need to remind her "backseat" but really not a issue. Dogs are not as hard to train as kids, and normally quicker.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
When my kids were growing up we just used simple math to figure things out. When we went camping we hooked the crew cab up to the trailer and everyone piled in. We had six kids and two seats so four in the front and four in the back. When the two oldest moved out we went to a five passenger crew cab โ€ฆ. four in the back and two in the front. Sometimes the youngest sat up on a cushion on the front console.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
I don't know how big the behind the seats is in a Mega cab. We have a regular cab, no kids. I can't see to drive with my 70 lb dog in the passenger seat so if she wants to go she knows she must ride behind the seat. Not a issue for her.

Iโ€™d like to see you stuff your 70lb dog , or any dog behind the seat of a reg cab truck. Unless by behind the seat, you mean also behind the rear window, in the truck bedโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Mega is not any bigger in the back seat than any other CC offerings save for the ability to store stuff behind the back seat or recline the seats a bit.
Not a bad choice. Had one for the last dozen years, would get one again, but don't miss the room in the newer crew cab save for storage space.
With 2 kids, mine slept with seats reclined or sprawled out on the floor and seat about 50/50.
With 3 passengers in back or if you're a seatbelt stickler, then the reclining seats are awesome for road trips!

Thanks for the details. I "ASSUMED" the rear seats retracted. So unless you want that type of inside storage MC may not be the best choice for some.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II