cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck overheating towing on long steep grades.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
The other day I came out of Death Valley to Beatty which is long and steep, but not that bad, but the transmission temp got up to 230 for most of the trip. I stopped part of the way up and let it cool before going on. This has happened a few time in the past, but I am looking to add a additional cooler if for nothing else make me more comfortable. The truck is a 2003 Dodge Cummins with less than 160,000 on it, and runs great. I would like to find an add on cooler that would not cost a mint and be an easy application to take care of this in the future. I have had it 15 years and other than this it has been a great truck. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room with coolers attached to the radiator now. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Mike.
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'
39 REPLIES 39

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What speed and what gear were you in?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where you using 'tow/haul' mode?

Take it out of 'over-drive' so torque converter locks up...tranny temp will drop
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I take it you added the trans temp guage? Honestly, I don't think 230 is bad at all.
FWIW, your trans will drop out of OD if it gets to something like 265 degrees to protect itself.
But with that trailer, which is roughly a bit more than half your towing capacity, you should never have a problem with it overheating.

Another possibility is your clutch fan. If you have never replaced it, it's toast by now. You wont believe how differently a new one will act.
I strongly recommend using only the expensive OEM part.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I would clean the outside of your radiator and start there. It may be all you need.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
That climb is probably the worst you can do. The speeds are low enough to don't get as much cooling as regular highway passes. Mine also hits 230F on that climb, but that's nothing to worry about for short durations.

What I did pull over for was my rear diff temp. I finally pulled over when the gauge maxed out. I good the diff once before, so I'm a little more careful now. But that's the only pull that gets that hot so soon.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
230F is nothing for transmission fluid ! I worked design transmission over 30 years ago and even then we never got worried until the temp were above 275F ! Most fluid now a days is semi-synthetic or full synthetic so it is good for more than that.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like mentioned I would make sure everything is nice and clean before doing anything else!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
230F is not overheating the trans.

That said; Scott's ideas are good and it also would be nice to get a little more info on the ambient temp and RPM ect.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP.

What was your engine coolant temperature? Also what was the ambient temperature? What was your speed and engine RPM?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
After 15+ years, the radiator is probably not all that great anymore (I'm in the same boat). I would ensure it's performing at 100% before adding coolers - or, just replace it. With your current TT there's no way you should need more trans cooling. Then add a couple of bottles of "Water Wetter" and change the coolant.

I would also have the trans serviced and have the shop verify the torque converter is locking up. If it doesn't, it adds a ton of heat.

If you end up with another cooler, don't go cheap. You really get what you pay for with them and what ever you do, don't bypass the stock cooler.