cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Tires - I Want Good Ones

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ford F-350 dually and am going through front tires at a ridiculous rate. I have less that 40k miles on the truck and am almost through the second pair. This last pair, same brand, won't make it 10k.

Part of it we found out is the dealership installed them a little off causing quicker wear and they are giving me like $400 bucks off my next set.

Also of note is I do rotate them and keep them properly inflated. Truck is my daily driver. Fifth-wheel towing is maybe 2k miles per year.

Anyway, recommendations on a quality truck tire. I tow a 15k pound fifth-wheel.
62 REPLIES 62

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Clicky

Just pick out the option, photo you want and I'll help you out making it your sig photo. If you want I'll also research your B&W hitch logo's and of course your Ram logo's. Did I miss any other manufactures that you indorse? Not sure I can help you out listing all of them in your sig tho

Thanks! I think the moderators would have issue if we posted my endorsements it would take up a whole page with every one of my posts.

CUMMINS, Michelin, B&W. RAM, GY trailer tires, TrailerAid, Weber BabyQ, HighwayProducts tool boxed, Apple products, AMZ/OIL, FantasticVent Covers, and Stella Beer to name a few. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
My AT2"s are spent at 38K. Many of those miles were towing and always under 65 MPH. I had the stupid things balanced and rotated a number of times by two different Ford dealers and an independent garage, and was never able to eliminate the 45 MPH shake. I think the tires are square.

Friend has had no complaints about the balancing ,but they are really wearing fast.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My AT2"s are spent at 38K. Many of those miles were towing and always under 65 MPH. I had the stupid things balanced and rotated a number of times by two different Ford dealers and an independent garage, and was never able to eliminate the 45 MPH shake. I think the tires are square.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
Sinbadman5024 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
I have had excellent luck with Toyos.

Me too. Good luck with Cooper as well.

I'm thinking my next set will be Toyo Open Country AT2 - seems to be a nice all around AT tire.

Same here. I have the Toyo Open Country AT2 on my truck now and they are excellent. Stopped using Michelin due to price and Toyos last as long for much less cost. Have Toyos on all of our vehicles, have 65k on my dd and have 2-3/32 on them.

I agree the Toyo is a good call. Most likely my next tire.

Wish I could give Michelins a good review ,but several years ago I ran two sets, and IMO were the worst wearing tire I have ever owned . Along with the weather checking, which seems common with the Michelin. One of the best wearing tire so far for me has been the BF Goodrich TA's

Really amazing the wide differences in experiences with Michelins. I made it 75K on two sets of Uniroyals on my 86 C20 2wd. Then tried Michelins and made it 100K.

VW Diesel PU made it 75K on the front tires and 150K in rears with no rotation.

Tried them on 98 RAM2500 4wd and made 120K. A couple sets of BFG 3rd gen take offs made over 100K.

Current 98 2wd RAM put 2010 BFG take offs with 40K on them and have added 30K+ and have another 15-20 in them easily.

11 RAM Dually MS2's 40K in previous pic no rotation. I would assume they would have made it 70K?

Removed the NEXEN's at 200 miles on current 15 RAM Dually installed MS2's, 6K on them but too soon to tell how they will wear.

All the above with ZERO checking.

The TOYO's that were on current 98 when I bought it were from LesSchwab and were Made in China.

Where have you been on this forum with the reports of the Michelins ,and weather checking etc. Pictures have been posted.

I guess if I got 100k plus I would stick with Michelins, but my two sets, its been awhile ,but no where near the mileage you are talking about.

Would like to see more reports of a 100k mileage on tires used on a truck thats just fantastic.
I would assume that was towing included :@

Good friend has the Michelin AT2's on his ford superduty they have 15K on them ,and they will never see 30K, wearing just about as fast as my OEM Firestone Transforce tires on my Ram. Both sets are pretty crappy.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Clicky

Just pick out the option, photo you want and I'll help you out making it your sig photo. If you want I'll also research your B&W hitch logo's and of course your Ram logo's. Did I miss any other manufactures that you indorse? Not sure I can help you out listing all of them in your sig tho

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have to agree you have front end issues. Even cheap tires will last me 30k miles and still have 1/3 tread left. I replace them at 1/3 tread. I just but on a set of Hankook.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
up2nogood wrote:
Sinbadman5024 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
jmtandem wrote:

I'm thinking my next set will be Toyo Open Country AT2 - seems to be a nice all around AT tire.

Same here. I have the Toyo Open Country AT2 on my truck now and they are excellent. Stopped using Michelin due to price and Toyos last as long for much less cost. Have Toyos on all of our vehicles, have 65k on my dd and have 2-3/32 on them.

Wish I could give Michelins a good review ,but several years ago I ran two sets, and IMO were the worst wearing tire I have ever owned . Along with the weather checking, which seems common with the Michelin. One of the best wearing tire so far for me has been the BF Goodrich TA's

Really amazing the wide differences in experiences with Michelins. I made it 75K on two sets of Uniroyals on my 86 C20 2wd. Then tried Michelins and made it 100K.

VW Diesel PU made it 75K on the front tires and 150K in rears with no rotation.

Tried them on 98 RAM2500 4wd and made 120K. A couple sets of BFG 3rd gen take offs made over 100K.

Current 98 2wd RAM put 2010 BFG take offs with 40K on them and have added 30K+ and have another 15-20 in them easily.

11 RAM Dually MS2's 40K in previous pic no rotation. I would assume they would have made it 70K?

Removed the NEXEN's at 200 miles on current 15 RAM Dually installed MS2's, 6K on them but too soon to tell how they will wear.

All the above with ZERO checking.

The TOYO's that were on current 98 when I bought it were from LesSchwab and were Made in China.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blt2ski
I am going to suspect as other have also, that there is a mechanical issue with the truck. Not a good vs bad vs excellent tire issue. If this were a GM with IFS, I would bet many dollars the idler arm has gone haywire. Typically does in the 80-100K mile mark. This is with 500K+ miles on three trucks, 88, 96 and 05. Front tire wear goes down to half the miles or worst with a worn out idler arm vs when new.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Sinbadman5024 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
jmtandem wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
LowRyter wrote:
MAwolcott wrote:
I like the Firestone Transforce. Even put a set on our first 5er.

I liked them until I had a blow out. Looks like there was dry rot in the tread. I never heard of that. Also, I got stuck easily on wet grass due to the highway tread.

I replaced them with Pep Boys Definity Dakota H/T. They are universal tread, are quiet and ride very well. I replaced the blow out with one of them on the road. When I got home, I decided to replace them all.

I don't like the Transforce HTs that came on my Ram. They suck offroad and I'm not expecting good things this winter. I doubt I'll let them wear down too much before I swap them out for decent shoes.

Have any doubt about the Transforce tire ,go to the Cummins Forum. Terrible reviews.
My 2014 Ram 3500 has 14K on the Firestone Transforce HT's ,and will be delighted to get 25K on them, most likely towing a fifth wheel its going to be more in the 20K range when I will need to change them out. Been rotated twice, and just about ready for the third.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick positive note for the Firestone transforce at, load range e.

I put a set on a ford expedition and got extremely good wear out of them. I didn't have any of the wet traction issues and as far as the blowout, any tire can do that depending on it's age or what the tire has been subjected to. I always check the date code before i allow the shop to mount the tires.

I also like Michelin too
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Been getting 70,000 to 90,000 with Goodyear AT/S and Silent Armor.
LT265/70R17-C

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
My '03 came thru w/ Pirelli Scorpion STRa's (16") and I had very good luck w/ them as a all season tire. Not a good winter tire by any means (had dedicated snows on their own rims for winter use). New truck has Michelins (can't recall which "model"), but seem to be ok so far. Will run them another winter and probly get dedicated winters next year. Winter or summer, tires get rotated every 5,000 miles.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for Michelin Ms/2. I have gotten 80K miles on 2 sets so far. I am on my 3rd set
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

dougger222
Explorer
Explorer
Michelins are on 3 of my 4 trucks and #4 will have them soon.

Went through a lot of tires on the dually until switching to Michelins.

Had good luck with 2 pairs of BFG's on the F250 one set got 70K miles the other set got 80K miles. Tires I'd never buy again,
Bridgestone Ravo's load E (on the Excursion absolute junk)
Nitto Terra Grappler (decent mileage but when wore were like slicks)
Goodyear Wrangler
00,02,03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD'S
1999 F350 lariat crew cab 4x4 DRW PSD
1999 F250 xlt 4x4 x-cab PSD
1965 Mustang 289
1969 GTO 400 4sp
2000 BMW 328CI
Trailers-04/09 PJ 15K dump, 04 H&H 20ft tilt, 98 Haulmark 7x14, 07 Dreamshak 20ft hydraulic fish house