cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT Advice

gkidsdlite
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks! My wife and I had big dreams of fulltiming when I retired! I had about 5 yrs to go before turning 62 and that was our target date for liftoff and then BOOM, I became disabled and everything became jumbled up! We still want to do it but have to downsize our plans a little. So we are looking at small travel trailers that will sleep two in a king size bed, a large shower/tub combo and would love a residential fridge with the inverter set-up but I am probably asking for too much with that! Any suggestions at where and what to look at would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
gkidsdlite wrote:
Hi folks! My wife and I had big dreams of fulltiming when I retired! I had about 5 yrs to go before turning 62 and that was our target date for liftoff and then BOOM, I became disabled and everything became jumbled up! We still want to do it but have to downsize our plans a little. So we are looking at small travel trailers that will sleep two in a king size bed, a large shower/tub combo and would love a residential fridge with the inverter set-up but I am probably asking for too much with that! Any suggestions at where and what to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Not saying it isn't possible, BUT.. I highly doubt your going to find everything on your list in a "small" TT.

Pretty much everything on your list would REQUIRE a very large 5vr or motor home, small TTs are pretty darn well, small.

Forget about a King sized bed, LARGE tub/shower and residential fridge since battery space tends to be a real premium in small TTs.

I know myself, we were looking for a 26ft TT with no slides, queen size bed in separate "bedroom" plus twin bunk and lower full size bed.. The smallest TT we could find that in was starting at 30ft length.

Our compromise was to find, gut and customize an old 26ft TT, we managed to do what we wanted but it wasn't easy or cheap.

Your going to need to make some very hard cuts to your list or others have mentioned, a motor home..

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about the change in retirement plans. Hope you're doing well. Without knowing any limitations you might have, I would suggest not considering a 5er. We have a disabled adult son and might have considered one but he could not get up and down the steps into the bathroom. Something to consider. I think you're out of luck on the king bed. Can't recall ever hearing about one. The queen size come in the standard household size and also a shorter version. Whatever size you're comfortable with, but the shorter version seems to be more readily available. Many trailers are offering the large "garden shower" with glass enclosure, but not as a tub combo. Also, doubt that you're going to find the residential frig.

I would also agree on the Class C, but if you're interested in day trips in the area, you would have to tow a vehicle and deal with the hitching and unhitching.

Some folks that need a wheelchair or other assistive equipment have gone with a toy hauler and the ramp made access easier. Personal opinion, if you don't need to consider a TH, would be something under 30', 1 or 2 slides, very open floorplan with a large rear window and plenty of light. If you plan to special order, definitely self leveling and any other automatic features you need.

Good luck. Hope you find the perfect trailer and can get out there soon.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Moved from Forum Technical Support

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturers will modify their floor plans to meet disability requirements. It comes at a price of course but allows you to have an RV that really fits your needs and abilities.

In reality, I find a small TT and the large 5th wheel we have about the same for setting up or breaking down camp.

Once you get used to the size it's just as easy to tow a 40 foot trailer as it is a 20 foot trailer.

Today's TT and 5th wheels can be equipped with auto levelers and other automated items to make it easier to hitch/unhitch and setup camp.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
My in-laws full timed it for years. Thys had a small camper van. Problem was, once you set up, you could not go anywhere without breaking camp.

Had friends that got a 5th wheel and they had power leveling jacks and power tip out. Seemed pretty quick and effortless. Plus they had a vehicle to go see the sights.

I will be starting out with towing a hybrid. More work but still mobility/freedom after setting up camp.

Automatic leveling of 5th wheel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoaDPhMSygw
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what the disability is but I'd suggest Class C's for ease in setting up and taking down. Forget the residential refrigerator and the king size bed. Otherwise it should fit your needs. I would also hope that you could get away from towing a car to avoid the hassle of hooking it up, etc.
That's just my $.03.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)