cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT for full time living or negatives of trailer brands

nwoodco1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! This is my first post, so I appreciate all of the help and input. I am getting married soon and my fiances education is going to require us to move around often, so we are looking at living in a trailer full time. What brands do you have experience with and what brands should be avoided? (personal experiences preferable). Any tips or input appreciated, thank you.
Edit:
Hello everyone, sorry for being absent. I actually got engaged so I was busy with all of that. First I have a tow vehicle that can tow 8,000 pounds with a tongue weight of 8000 pounds. We will either be in north texas or florida, so winter weather won't be harsh. I am not thinking I will save much money, but we will be moving around every 8 weeks for a while, so we need the flexibility.
36 REPLIES 36

nwoodco1
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
I would not recommend getting a camper and living in it full time. Your situation is not ideal for this venture. You won’t save money like you may think for starters. You’ll also have to fix everything yourself on the camper, because taking to a dealer will throw a huge monkey wrench in your plans. Managing camp sites, water, sewer, propane, etc is going to be a headache if you are moving from site to site. Full timing sounds good on the surface, but it takes planning and money. Most folks sell their home, and bank the money, and retire when they full time.

I am still here, was just busy. I did post it multiple places as not everyone is a member of all forums and I would like as much input as possible 🙂

nwoodco1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, sorry for being absent. I actually got engaged so I was busy with all of that. First I have a tow vehicle that can tow 8,000 pounds with a tongue weight of 8000 pounds. We will either be in north texas or florida, so winter weather won't be harsh. I am not thinking I will save much money, but we will be moving around every 8 weeks for a while, so we need the flexibility.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I've literally rebuilt this thing from top to bottom. It is a good camper NOW!

How did you proceed with rebuilding the walls, floor and roof?
Did the factory supply you with new wall panels?

I know nothing about DutchmenSport's tool or skill set. But as somebody that has rebuilt both cars and a house from top to bottom I see no reason to question his statement.

Reattached / fixed / strengthened doors, cabinets, underbelly skirting, shelves - closet broken, falling apart, yanked from the wall, , and caulking on the roof, plumbing repairs, cracked fiberglass, electric wiring, furnace repair, water heater repair, tires (I didn't do that myself), wheels - brakes (yea, they got replaced, I didn't do that either), pull curtains (unbelievable ... every one of them needed repair), ... um ... just to name a few items. Most I did myself when the wait period was so long at my dealership for warranty work. And the first couple items I returned it back for warranty work, it was returned and the first trip after that, things broke again. That's when I took matters into my own hands. NO... I am not an aggressive driver either. Very few back roads, and I avoid interstates. But interstate bridges expansion joints is what's done the damage, shaking things literally apart!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
T’would be nice if some of y’all could keep even sorta close to the topic at hand.

Hmm.. I don't really see any posts other than yours that isn't within the topic of FULL TIME LIVING OR NEGATIVES OF TRAILER BRANDS..

OP has a huge hill to climb considering they are contemplating to get married, bringing a new wife into the mix and then attempt to LIVE in a RV and further education.

Would I consider what the OP proposes? Nope, considering my DW was less than enamored with the idea of camping (although she grew up with the tent thing and I grew up camping in a TC). Never considered approaching the subject for at least 4 yrs AFTER we got married.

Besides, I suspect this was a drive by post and the OP is long gone, noticed the SAME question posted on a different forum..

But hey, gives folks a subject to banter on..

‘Twas referring to the snarky post.
I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. My first marriage would’ve been over long before it finally tanked if I had done what is being considered. Probably after the honeymoon.
And as winter approaches, the banter will increase. 😉
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recommend getting a camper and living in it full time. Your situation is not ideal for this venture. You won’t save money like you may think for starters. You’ll also have to fix everything yourself on the camper, because taking to a dealer will throw a huge monkey wrench in your plans. Managing camp sites, water, sewer, propane, etc is going to be a headache if you are moving from site to site. Full timing sounds good on the surface, but it takes planning and money. Most folks sell their home, and bank the money, and retire when they full time.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GrandpaKip wrote:
T’would be nice if some of y’all could keep even sorta close to the topic at hand.

Hmm.. I don't really see any posts other than yours that isn't within the topic of FULL TIME LIVING OR NEGATIVES OF TRAILER BRANDS..

OP has a huge hill to climb considering they are contemplating to get married, bringing a new wife into the mix and then attempt to LIVE in a RV and further education.

Would I consider what the OP proposes? Nope, considering my DW was less than enamored with the idea of camping (although she grew up with the tent thing and I grew up camping in a TC). Never considered approaching the subject for at least 4 yrs AFTER we got married.

Besides, I suspect this was a drive by post and the OP is long gone, noticed the SAME question posted on a different forum..

But hey, gives folks a subject to banter on..

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
again

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
trail-explorer wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

I know nothing about DutchmenSport's tool or skill set. But as somebody that has rebuilt both cars and a house from top to bottom I see no reason to question his statement.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Bob

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest a unit that has a door between the bedroom and living area. You gotta have that privacy sometimes. I would also think a larger bathroom would be beneficial to full time living.

Having no idea what kind of tow vehicle you have nor your expectations, I will say look at the Grand Design Imagine line to get some ideas. They offer the features that would be important to me long term.

Study up on preventive maintenance too. Almost no matter what you choose, you will need to climb on the roof for inspection and waterproofing, among many other things.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Do you plan on staying in areas that are very cold in the winter?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Montana 3950BR

Something like this might work. It has a separate bedroom that could be used for studying. A few manufacturers make this floorplan. If not this, then probably a toyhauler.

Figure 30-50K+ for a good pre-owned trailer and 40-50K+ for a tow vehicle so you're looking at +/- $1500 a month for a place to live before you have to pay for RV sites, elect, ins, etc. You could easily be in the $2K range each month for trailer, RV site and truck payment.

Could get away with getting a 1 bdrm apt for less. Something to think about.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There is no TT that is made for full-timing. However, that doesn't mean that some RVers live in their TT all the time. That's my $.03.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
This is kinda like asking Chevy Ford or Dodge?
Find a floor plan you like and then look at different brands...
They all have issues it just depends on how much you want to tolerate and how good the dealer & MFG support is....

Make sure you consult your tow vehicle towing information and buy something that you can tow safely......
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970