cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Tires..Rough riding

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
This year I had to buy a TV to replace a totaled truck. The totaled truck was a 2002 F-250 that had Les Schwab Wild Country tires on it.. The truck rode smooth and road noise was minimal.. the replacement truck is a 2006 F-250 that came with relatively new "Mastercraft Courser" tires on it. The truck rides very rough compared to my last one. Every bump in the road is felt and road noise is more than I would expect. I have replaced all the shocks and still not any better.. Has anyone had experience with Mastercraft LT tires... Am exhausting all avenues before I change tires...
47 REPLIES 47

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your 2006 F250 has LT265/70R17E, then 65 lbs inflation is good for 2910 pounds each. Given your rear axle empty is around 3k, that is almost twice the capacity required.

45 inflation is good for 2255 or 4510 on the rear axle, which is fine for those day to day additional light loads. Unless you are carrying a large load of fish.

Back to the front. 55 inflation is good for 2955 or 5910 on the front axle. Or way over the actual front axle weight. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
DD716TED wrote:
Set front at 55 psi rear at 65 psi rides like a new truck.. will fill all tires to recommended 75 psi when towing thanks to all

Outstanding... I'm glad you didn't go with the 44psi recommendation.

Glad you're happy with the ride now, however, unless you're trying to keep the tpms light off, on an empty truck, 55 is the right range in front, 65 is still way more than you need in back. Nothing bad will happen. Likely won't even have increased tire wear unless they're really wide tires that will balloon up a little more.
Not trying to start an argument and know there's a lot of ways to skin a cat, but I'd still encourage you to try less pressure in back when empty. If you look up load/pressure charts I believe you'll see that for your given weight (15-1700lbs per rear tire empty) 65 is a lot.
Or think of it this way, loaded 1/2 ton crew cab running OE 35psi tires. Back half of a HD pickup is not THAT much heavier, supporting the need for only 5-10psi more.
And no need to air up the front anymore than it already is unless your Adding significantly more weight to the front when you're towing.
Wdh putting a lot of weight up front, not likely on a HD, front hitch with heavy stuff?
Otherwise, why air up the don't when you're really only putting weight on the back?

Again qualitying these pressures are for the common srw 275-295 ish size tires on newer HDs. Have some big 35-37" tires, pressure will be correspondingly less for the same weight. Running 235/245 hi profile donut tires, proper psi for the same truck will go up some.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
DD716TED wrote:
Set front at 55 psi rear at 65 psi rides like a new truck.. will fill all tires to recommended 75 psi when towing thanks to all

Outstanding... I'm glad you didn't go with the 44psi recommendation.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
DD716TED wrote:

Took quite awhile to get you to come around. I would go up a bit in the fronts and down more in the rears, as I suggested above. Front do not need to be adjusted up and down, load varies little on front axle. Chris

Merry Christmas BTW

This!
Or....set all 4 corners at 60PSI when not towing and be done with it.
Then come towing season/time and just raise the rears. As Chris stated, load on the front is basically static.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
DD716TED wrote:

Took quite awhile to get you to come around. I would go up a bit in the fronts and down more in the rears, as I suggested above. Front do not need to be adjusted up and down, load varies little on front axle. Chris

Merry Christmas BTW
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The_real_wild1 wrote:
DD716TED wrote:
I checked and my front springs are coded WWFF which is normal (no snowplow).. The only thing I have yet to try is lower the PSI of the tires.. Door post says 75 PSI which is where they are at (Load Range E tire).. How low do I dare go to to see if that helps without damaging the tires or impacting saftey? Maybe new tires are what I should ask Santa for as my previous 2002 F-250 SD never rode like this one..
Just go lower the pressures to 50 psi. Drive the truck and report back.

Put the fronts at 60 and rears at 45 and take a test drive. Chris

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
I checked and my front springs are coded WWFF which is normal (no snowplow).. The only thing I have yet to try is lower the PSI of the tires.. Door post says 75 PSI which is where they are at (Load Range E tire).. How low do I dare go to to see if that helps without damaging the tires or impacting saftey? Maybe new tires are what I should ask Santa for as my previous 2002 F-250 SD never rode like this one..
Just go lower the pressures to 50 psi. Drive the truck and report back.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Greene728 wrote:
Greene728 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Another reason to buy a 350/3500 non nanny regulated truck. Chris

That's only going to work for so many years, until the old ones are all used up and no serviceable older trucks are left except for the rare classic that will never be for sale.

Brand new 1 ton trucks don't have TPMS. Well, they have them them, just not the silly light that comes on if dropped below a certain level is what he was getting at I believe.

My 1 ton dodge had the sensor, you could read the pressures on the dash. No warning light though like the 2500. My chev 3500 does not have sensors.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Greene728 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Me Again wrote:

That's only going to work for so many years, until the old ones are all used up and no serviceable older trucks are left except for the rare classic that will never be for sale.

Brand new 1 ton trucks don't have TPMS. Well, they have them them, just not the silly light that comes on if dropped below a certain level is what he was getting at I believe.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Me Again wrote:

Duplicate post

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:

It's not the tires! Lower the pressure. You asked and have been advised many times on this. As well as pressures to start at, what others are running, links to inflation charts, etc.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Me Again wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.