cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 3.0 diesel cheaper to own

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Not a very informative article but it is interesting that a the diesel version is cheaper to own than the gasser.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/12/ram-1500-dominates-cost-of-ownership-diesel-analysis.html
11 REPLIES 11

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rexlion wrote:
They don't tell us all the assumptions they're making in this cost comparison. I wonder if they include the cost of special, low-ash oil for the oil changes? (Last I knew, it was $9/quart). They do use a fairly slim price difference between fuels; in OK the spread is much greater.

Fiat dumped the Euro grade oil and now specifies a CJ4 5W40 oil.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
They don't tell us all the assumptions they're making in this cost comparison. I wonder if they include the cost of special, low-ash oil for the oil changes? (Last I knew, it was $9/quart). They do use a fairly slim price difference between fuels; in OK the spread is much greater.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Have they fixed the Eco Diesel payload yet? How can you tow anything but a grocery cart with 800-900lbs total payload?

That is on the Highest end models. Yes, mine has less payload than my Jeep Liberty, but would you honestly tell me that my Liberty is safer to tow with??

SouthpawHD wrote:
Who actually makes the ED, Ram/FCA or Cummins?

VM Motori. Recently they bought GM's 1/2 of the company. The 2.8l in the Colorado is basically a VM Motori designed motor.

1320Fastback wrote:
I had read there is a new design cam bolt in the 2016 models but no word on if the cam gear is actually now keyed or splined as it should be.

No real issue with any cam bolt. This has been done in numerous applications from Europe.

The issue was the cam gears were slipping or falling off at higher (150K) mileages.
I would not buy one until they have fixed that problem (and added payload). Hopefully this new design does that.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Have they fixed the Eco Diesel payload yet? How can you tow anything but a grocery cart with 800-900lbs total payload?

That is on the Highest end models. Yes, mine has less payload than my Jeep Liberty, but would you honestly tell me that my Liberty is safer to tow with??

SouthpawHD wrote:

VM Motori. Recently they bought GM's 1/2 of the company. The 2.8l in the Colorado is basically a VM Motori designed motor.

1320Fastback wrote:
I had read there is a new design cam bolt in the 2016 models but no word on if the cam gear is actually now keyed or splined as it should be.

No real issue with any cam bolt. This has been done in numerous applications from Europe.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
EcoDiesel is made by VM Motori company, which FCA now owns in Italy.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The real wild1 wrote:
Try hauling with that v-6 and see what your mileage does. At least you can get good mileage and haul with the eco diesel.

You're absolutely right. But the article makes no mention of mileage towing or hauling.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Kind of a pointless article actually, since it didn't include the 3.6 Pentastar V6. I imagine that since the Pentastar is cheaper and gets better mileage than the Hemi it might be cheaper to own than the diesel. Having said that, the diesel in the 1500 is a relative bargain, only about a $3000 option. Much more reasonable than the $9K MSRP in the bigger Ram trucks. Even so, I'm likely going to buy a new Ram 3500 Cummins later in the year. I don't need one, I just WANT one!

Try hauling with that v-6 and see what your mileage does. At least you can get good mileage and haul with the eco diesel.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Cost of ownership goes far, far, far, far beyond fuel mileage. This was a nonsensical way of doing a cost analysis. :R
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Kind of a pointless article actually, since it didn't include the 3.6 Pentastar V6. I imagine that since the Pentastar is cheaper and gets better mileage than the Hemi it might be cheaper to own than the diesel. Having said that, the diesel in the 1500 is a relative bargain, only about a $3000 option. Much more reasonable than the $9K MSRP in the bigger Ram trucks. Even so, I'm likely going to buy a new Ram 3500 Cummins later in the year. I don't need one, I just WANT one!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3