cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two rims on back of a dually instead of 4 ?

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys

During the winter, my f350 drw is not hauling or towing anything heavy,
The heavier ill be hauling is my snowmobile.

Where i live, we must use winter tires (snowflakes) from december to march, its the law.

Since my trucks gonna ride without lot of weight on it during these 3 months, can i only use two rims instead of 4 on the back ?
(Wheels exterior side)

It would spare me to spend a couple hundred bucks for 2 additionals
Tires that i kinda dont "need". Its also gonna give me a better traction i guess.

Im planning to buy rims and tires soon an id like to know if someone already did it or if you think its a bad idea for some reason, let me know please.

Thx guys
25 REPLIES 25

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
If you do this I would say pick up a set of steel rims to install on the inside. This will protect the brakes and then you would have the correct spacing. I would not install your old tires on the inside as you could never match the same height of the tires. I do not think any reputable tire store would install mismatched tires anyway.

The cost of the supper singles and wheels would be awful high and you would be better off just buying six snow tires that match at that point.

Don.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
During a heavy snow in Illinois I appreciate having extra weight and more tread on the road. They both equate to a better "bite" in most types of snow, which is what you are trying to achieve aside from the legal requirement here. And if you aren't carrying much payload then you might not have as much wear and the tires might last longer, making the additional cost difference less of a concern.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

blt2ski
Bedlam wrote:
Marty -

You drinking and posting again? The only reason I understood your post was because it didn't have to travel too far...

hmmmmmm, drinking.....Dr P or iced tea.....no alcohol in either....

No, called droid auto correct.

Those michiblows were "XDS M+S" traction, had a Bridgestone all position up front, now have double coin ribs.

The GM dually had Toyo AT's up front, and M55 tractions in the rear. Used that one to go up Snoqualmie with chains required in RWD only! screw the 4wd part of the equation. Traction tires and the Eaton locker did well. Did the same with the 96 GM I had, with an aggressive Cooper hwy tire going up Stevens! Did not go into 4wd until I got into the parking lot.

Time for bed........

I can type a bit better on a laptop too!LOL!

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Since it sounds like you need to buy wheels for the second set of tires. What about using wheels designed for a single rear wheel truck. It will look goofy with the tire being deeper in the wheel opening but would not cause bearing problems.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Bedlam
Marty -

You drinking and posting again? The only reason I understood your post was because it didn't have to travel too far...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

blt2ski
I ran four M55 Toyota on rear of 4ad dually, hwy up front. No issues in WET me us snow. Have michiblow ads attractions on dumbstruck rear, hwy rib up front. Again, no issues in snow
Super singles imho would be a better option, if I could get a traction style.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for the answers, my biggest concern is about that my brakes are very exposed to get hit by something when the inner tires arent there

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't work worth a damz in certain types of mud. BTDT years ago.
The drivers were always trying to climb the sides of the ruts left by the front tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:
Why not just put snow tires on the outside and leave the regulars on the inside?

that makes sense to me but ask the provincial govt. a dually with snow tires on only the outside certainly would have better traction than a non-dually or dually with singles on the rear.
do 4 WD or 6 WD require snow tires on the front?
bumpy

Yes, 4WD (2 axles) or 6WD (3 axles) requires that all tires be the same size and same tread pattern.
Since I run M&S rated traction tires year 'round, I don't have any problem.
I'm not going to attempt to explain the leverage problems with the bearings when running a single tire where duals should be, but, yes, it CAN cause bearing failure! NOTE: That is not "WILL", that is "CAN". There IS a difference. You might get away with it with no problems. Just be aware that there could be a problem in the future.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did it for years with my seni's when I had a flat on the road. Always singled to the outer and the lug nuts should not be an issue unless the wheels are pilot mount, then you'll need an inner rim (with no tire on it) to index the hub.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
As for the stud thread, Nuts will only have to travel in an additional quarter inch or so with one rim. Remember it's just perfect mess of the mounting flange of the second rim that would be different, not a whole rim width
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
Not good for the wheel bearings unless you run super singles!

Wont do a thing to the bearings running around empty. Agree if he was talking loaded down.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Durb wrote:
I am curious about this also. Would you use the inner wheels so that they track the front tires or the outer wheels so they make their own track? Which would give better traction in the snow?

Depends what type of conditions whether you want to track the same or advantage for the rears taking a new bite of snow. Realistically it will make pretty much zero difference in any day to day conditions.
I couldn't handle driving around like a BNSF hi rail truck, on the inner duals. Just too gooofy looking for me. I'd run singles on the outside if I had to choose.

Honestly what I'd do if I was bent on only buying 4 tires for a 6 tire truck is use some old wore out tires on the inside duals and keep the air low in them so they don't interfere and put the good tires on the outside. Mainly so I didn't look like a dufus.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
Why not just put snow tires on the outside and leave the regulars on the inside?

that makes sense to me but ask the provincial govt. a dually with snow tires on only the outside certainly would have better traction than a non-dually or dually with singles on the rear.
do 4 WD or 6 WD require snow tires on the front?
bumpy