cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber expensive pickups...how much of a trend ?

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very expensive pickups...loaded, beautiful interiors, etc. Is this a harbinger of the future...or just a temporary trend ?

How much luxury do people want and perhaps more to the point can they afford ?

Deluxe, albeit it pricey Ford pickups introduced.
136 REPLIES 136

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
hellfirehydra wrote:
They build em all. We purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD for 42k last year. Paid it off this year with 2 kids! I'm far from rich, but we have our priorities.

Plan on keeping it for another 10-15 years unless things go way south!

Finding the truck you want in the US is far from difficult.

I find it surprising that you were able to pay off your new truck with two kids... I'd be lucky to find a dealer willing to give me 1/2 that for my kids even if I offered to throw in the wife.:)

Congratulations on getting it paid off!!

The trade in value on those things is awesome!

blt2ski
goducks10 wrote:
hellfirehydra wrote:
They build em all. We purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD for 42k last year. Paid it off this year with 2 kids! I'm far from rich, but we have our priorities.

Wow I have 3 kids. Probably could've got a DRW Long Horn Laramie. :B

I've got four, so that should net me a 4500/5500 version?!?!?!?

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
hellfirehydra wrote:

Wow I have 3 kids. Probably could've got a DRW Long Horn Laramie. :B

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
the bear II wrote:
Pickups are getting scary expensive...

In 1973 I ordered a 1974 model Dodge 1500 4X4 from the factory. I ordered the base model no radio, rubber floor mats, no A/C it was as stripped as possible. The cost out the door was $3800. It wouldn't surprise me if a 2018 equivalent would be over $25,000.

Using an online inflation calculator and inputting your info:

$3,800 in 1973 equals $21,586.86 in 2017.

Considering the advancement of modern vehicles over that 1973 truck, I think 25000 for a new work truck isn't too bad. Of course that new work truck might be closer to 30,000.

Probably a fully loaded 1 ton dually from 1973 wouldn't be as capable or anywhere near as nice to drive as a base model present day 1/2 ton.

I second that. We know that it did not have antilock brakes, airbags, was noisy and rough riding, pretty much a farm truck that gave horrible fuel economy while not producing much power. While there are still some old ones around in general they didn't go much further than 100,000 miles before rusting out and generally falling apart. The new trucks are a much better value. Competition is great for consumers.

One of the best driving and riding trucks I’ve ever had the pleasure of driving was a pristine 77 F100 Short Bed. 3 on the tree, 302 V8. Handled great with good tires...very far from being a log wagon. My 79 F250 4x4 had a little rougher ride but it was not a big deal, when bought it steered terrible. After a front end rebuild and a new steering box it handled great. I regret getting rid of that 79 woods truck.

I think some grossly over blow this whole old trucks and cars ride terrible thing and are horribly unreliable.

My 57 Chevy Bel-Air I’m about to restore will steer and brake just fine and will start reliably.

I do agree about the money part. Last year I paid nearly twice as much in taxes and SSI as I made the first year I worked full time after high school. I donate to charity when I decide and I regularly give to my church because I want to.

Enjoy the fruit of your labor 4x4ord!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
hellfirehydra wrote:

I find it surprising that you were able to pay off your new truck with two kids... I'd be lucky to find a dealer willing to give me 1/2 that for my kids even if I offered to throw in the wife.:)

Congratulations on getting it paid off!!
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
My personal contributions to charities are limited due to the mandatory contributions I already make through taxation to support social programs. Someone already thinks they can spend my money more wisely than me and I do not need a similar view from forum members that have no insight to my financial status or current level of benevolence.

x2

I just love it how some folks feel it is their right to tell others how to spend their money. And try to shame them if they buy something nice because they can. I think qtla9111 was out of line, and is a prime example of the shame game.

I worked hard to get where Im at, and I contribute more mandatory contributions than many folks. And despite all mandatory contributions I make throughout the year, they still want more at the end of the year. I'll buy nice vehicles to drive, because I like driving nice vehicles.

Mike

My thoughts as well.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
My personal contributions to charities are limited due to the mandatory contributions I already make through taxation to support social programs. Someone already thinks they can spend my money more wisely than me and I do not need a similar view from forum members that have no insight to my financial status or current level of benevolence.

x2

I just love it how some folks feel it is their right to tell others how to spend their money. And try to shame them if they buy something nice because they can. I think qtla9111 was out of line, and is a prime example of the shame game.

I worked hard to get where Im at, and I contribute more mandatory contributions than many folks. And despite all mandatory contributions I make throughout the year, they still want more at the end of the year. I'll buy nice vehicles to drive, because I like driving nice vehicles.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gave up on charities when I found that the dude running the one I gave the most to was skimming. My giveadamn is officially busted.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

Yeah....What he said! ^^^^
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
IdaD wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I don't think there are any people in North America who can't afford to give money to charity.

You must live a pretty sheltered life if you really believe that.

No schitt.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I probably do live a fairly sheltered life. I also should have worded my comment differently. The point I was wanting to make is that there are many people who feel the wealthy should give to support the poor but no one sees himself as wealthy. When in reality there are few North Americans who would not be considered wealthy in the eyes of the world's poorest people. Right now I've got someone who thinks I should help out an individual whose disability cheque is not enough for him to make his new car payment. It seams way too many feel they are entitled to a new uber expensive new vehicle.
B&W Companion

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I don't think there are any people in North America who can't afford to give money to charity.

You must live a pretty sheltered life if you really believe that.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion