cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unhooked for the night.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
There is a current thread on the 5th wheel area and it got me to thinking about what travel trailer do.

So here goes. When you stop for just one night, regardless of where, do you unhitch?
33 REPLIES 33

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
^Might also be used to advantage to quickly move the RV to a more sheltered spot during a hailstorm.

(My personal favorite improvised hail shelter is a self-serve car wash - Nobody's using them to wash their cars during a hailstorm anyway.):B

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:
tommyznr wrote:
Or quite possibly the flip side, a medical emergency where you may not want to take the whole camp to the emergency room at 90 mph down the back roads.

A medical emergency is just about the only event where that might be a consideration - And only then if you can't rely on neighbors, park rangers, an ambulance or life flight to get you there.

If a flash flood, forest fire, avalanche, mudslide, chemical spill or massive gas leak is imminent, nobody is likely to help you hitch up - they would all be too busy saving themselves.

In a large part of the country there is a danger not listed. In open country where you can see it at a distance, and if the road goes the right direction, you might be able to out run a tornado. I have done it on a motorcycle, but not sure could of done in pickup. Pulling trailer? I would of tried because no other option.
But in a campground you really need to get to the designated shelter (often restroom) as quick as can. For many that means drive a short distance. Dragging a trailer should not be a option.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
As was mentioned it is all about whether you have a Chev or not. Leave it hitched if you want but if a Chev undo the 7-pin.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
tommyznr wrote:
Or quite possibly the flip side, a medical emergency where you may not want to take the whole camp to the emergency room at 90 mph down the back roads.

A medical emergency is just about the only event where that might be a consideration - And only then if you can't rely on neighbors, park rangers, an ambulance or life flight to get you there.

If a flash flood, forest fire, avalanche, mudslide, chemical spill or massive gas leak is imminent, nobody is likely to help you hitch up - they would all be too busy saving themselves.

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
vakirks wrote:
So glad I read this thread. I never unhooked but neither did I consider the unforeseen emergency. And there are 2 listed here and who knows what else could happen. Medical emergency, who knows? Thatโ€™s why theyโ€™re unforeseen. Unhooking from now on as standard procedure. Thanks!

The idea is to leave your RV hitched up, so that you don't waste precious time having to hitch it up during an emergency.

Quickly leaving the area with your RV is infinitely preferable to leaving your RV behind to be destroyed in the fire/flood/whatever.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, if this isnโ€™t overthinking something, I donโ€™t know what isโ€ฆ.
Would seem if it is possible and feels more convenient to stay hooked, that is the answer.
If the opposite, then the opposite is the answer.
:S
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
vakirks wrote:
So glad I read this thread. I never unhooked but neither did I consider the unforeseen emergency. And there are 2 listed here and who knows what else could happen. Medical emergency, who knows? Thatโ€™s why theyโ€™re unforeseen. Unhooking from now on as standard procedure. Thanks!

The idea is to leave your RV hitched up, so that you don't waste precious time having to hitch it up during an emergency.

Quickly leaving the area with your RV is infinitely preferable to leaving your RV behind to be destroyed in the fire/flood/whatever.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tvov wrote:
I don't think it is any different with a 5th wheel?

For just an overnight, and if the TT is level, I'll leave it hooked up.

After having several TTs, and a couple FWs, it is much easier to unhook/hookup a FW.

Normally a TT is level to slightly low in front, so easier to keep level while hooked, than a FW, which is often a bit nose high.

Jerry

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If we factored in all the potential emergencies and pitfalls as reasons to not unhook it becomes too dangerous to go camping at all.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it is any different with a 5th wheel?

For just an overnight, and if the TT is level, I'll leave it hooked up.

vakirks
Explorer
Explorer
The Virginia Kirks
7 of us, 17-52
2000 GMC YUKON XL 2500
2018 Salem Hemisphere Hyper Lyte 29BHHL
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to remain sharp. That is is why I read so much. - Tyrion Lannister

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
Another consideration is where you find yourself camping or even just spending the night. Out west {here in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado etc.} half of the state is on fire or at risk for one breaking out on very short notice.

When we camped with our 22'TT I would stay hooked up and I do the same now that we are using our 24' class C, usually towing our 6 X 10' cargo trailer. I never stay hooked up to water or sewer but just use them as needed for a quick fill or dump.

Being able to flee in mere minutes should the winds shift or a new fire breaks out is a no brainer. Picture the chaos in a crowded campground when a wind shift puts everyone at risk from a fast approaching fire.

That's also a consideration in campsites next to rivers or washes. One heavy rainstorm, and your RV is now a boat.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another consideration is where you find yourself camping or even just spending the night. Out west {here in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado etc.} half of the state is on fire or at risk for one breaking out on very short notice.

When we camped with our 22'TT I would stay hooked up and I do the same now that we are using our 24' class C, usually towing our 6 X 10' cargo trailer. I never stay hooked up to water or sewer but just use them as needed for a quick fill or dump.

Being able to flee in mere minutes should the winds shift or a new fire breaks out is a no brainer. Picture the chaos in a crowded campground when a wind shift puts everyone at risk from a fast approaching fire. :S We have had to literally turn around on a two lane highway due to a fast moving fire suddenly closing down our intended route more than once.

This pic was taken about 30 miles east of Zion in June of 2020. We were headed up to Jacob Lake when this fire over ran the highway not far in front of us:

Be safe out there folks...

:C

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Usually went out for dinner and filled up gas tank. Also, had truck available in case of an emergency.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I avoid unhooking if possible.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide