cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown odor - what is it? where is it?

purpleinnej
Explorer
Explorer
We have an odor. It's kind of faint, but obvious when first walking into the camper. After inside for a while, we "adjust" to the smell and can't really smell it as strongly, but it's there.

The problem: we can't locate the source to properly eliminate/clean it. So what are we not thinking of? Here's what it's not (we think):
1. The fridge
2. The tank(s) - both emptied and not really that full when we first noticed the smell. Also, we've had the "full gray tank" smell before and this is different.
3. "Storage" odor. We were on day 3 of a 10 day trip when it was noticed.

We've opened every storage section to try to sniff it out to no avail. It kind of reminds me of a dead animal, but I don't know where to LOOK for one? We've tried to follow the smell to locate it, but it doesn't seem stronger in any place or another, but a more general "all over" smell.
2005 Starcraft TravelStar 19CK Expandable
Towed with 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Diesel Crew Cab
Mike - Air Force, Jenni - AF Civilian, Jackson - 2007 Model male, Alex - 2009 Model male
17 REPLIES 17

rsdata
Explorer
Explorer
I would get some Febreeze at the grocery store and spray any fabric in the camper. This should neutralize any offensive odor that may be in the fabric left from storage.

rav
Explorer
Explorer

rav
Explorer
Explorer
check under the sinks for the air admittance valve- they will fail and allow sewer gas back into the camper JMHO

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24372-143-85539K_1z0zn99+4294822043__?productId=1069119&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=Air admittance