cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading tire rims

shodobe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Winnebago One 29L TT. I am looking at upgrading my rims from a 15 to a 16. I am doing this mostly to gain a higher rating on the tire to gain more plies. Does this seem resonable and has others done this to help with the weight problem? Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
shodobe wrote:
I have 4" at the top and 5" between wheels, so that shouldn't be an issue. So if I was to go with a 16" E rated tire vs a 15" E rated trailer tire, was is the advantage for the added expense of changing out all of my rims? This is a TT by the way.

When you get to a 16" wheel you can get ST tires in a Load Range G, I replaced the Towmax Es with a Gladiator G and have already doubled the mileage.

The RV industry is great for putting the bear bones minimum of anything on their products.

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
rbrumm wrote:
So having 14" wheels on torsion axles that have 2" of clearance between the tires, I'm kinda screwed on that upgrade huh.

Not necessarily, Check out the Kumho 857 in an D rated.
These are used on trucks in Europe.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
shodobe wrote:
Also, my question on the difference between a 15 and 16 E rated tire.
Lots of people "know" What they don't "know" is just what tire you want to put on said rim. The answer is easy if you know what SIZE tire you are mounting on the rim. There are MANY sizes and load ratings that will fit on a 16" (or other size) rim. Pick your size and look it up on the manufacturers website.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^Let us know how many trouble free miles you get from them.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

CaveRun
Explorer
Explorer
I have 15" tires & rims on my TT. . I just bought new tires from eTrailer.com.

I bought the Karrier ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range D.

They have a maximum load capacity of 2,540 lbs at 65 psi.

Here's the link.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM10256.html

I bought the same brand tire for my 2013 Bass Buggy Pontoon and they have been great!
John 3:16

1996 Hide Away Sun Lite Truck Camper
2003 31' Salem LE Forest River Travel Trailer
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon
2002 F-150 SuperCab V-8 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Homemade Tie Down Mounts
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
shodobe wrote:
But so far I haven't been given a good answer as to why people change. Also, my question on the difference between a 15 and 16 E rated tire. Seems no one knows the answer. I probably will change next year because I have too much invested in new tires right now.

Going from a 15" to a 16" does 2 things:

1) Increases the load carrying capacity of the tire - and that results in less risk of failure.

2) Opens up the option to use LT tires. There just aren't many LT's in 15".

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
shodobe wrote:
But so far I haven't been given a good answer as to why people change. Also, my question on the difference between a 15 and 16 E rated tire. Seems no one knows the answer. I probably will change next year because I have too much invested in new tires right now.
You have received very good answers. They just are not the ones that you want to hear.

I am not going to try and convince you of the merits of LTs vs. STs here. That wasn't your original question, and you already have your mind made up on that issue.

Happy camping
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

shodobe
Explorer
Explorer

rbrumm
Explorer
Explorer
So having 14" wheels on torsion axles that have 2" of clearance between the tires, I'm kinda screwed on that upgrade huh.
2011 Ram Outdoorsman
2014 Rockwood 2909SS Emerald Package

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
You want to go to 16 inch wheels but stay with ST tires? If so, that seems counter intuitive to me because the reason most go to 16's is to use LT tires. There are 15 inch E rated ST tires, e.g., Maxxis, if that's your goal.

Personally, I just bought 16 inch rims and LT tires so that I could get rid of my 15 inch ST's. As for the LT vs ST debate, you can read for days on that...I made my own choice.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

shodobe
Explorer
Explorer
ST tires have a thicker side wall to compensate for the verticle pressure from the TT. LT tires are thinner on the side. So besides the wide vcariety to choose from, what is realy the advantage? I know with the 15" E rated tires I have now I have about 2800lbs, so how much more do I get with upgrading to a 16" E rated LT tire?

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
I went from 15 inch to 16 inch as soon as I bought my camper , I also went with load range E LT tires . I highly recommend doing the same

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Your TT likely has ST tires on it. STs have a bad reputation, which I assume is why you are considering a change. An LT tire is considered by many, including some TT manufactuers to be an upgrade. But there are not too many LT tires made in 15". In 16" there are tons to choose from. This is because that size is stock on many pickups.
BTW, 4" wheel well clearance is workable, depending on what total diameter is on your TT now.
You can basically go to a tire that is 2" taller than what you now have.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

shodobe
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4" at the top and 5" between wheels, so that shouldn't be an issue. So if I was to go with a 16" E rated tire vs a 15" E rated trailer tire, was is the advantage for the added expense of changing out all of my rims? This is a TT by the way.